2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its gonna be Lumpy, Its gonna be Bumpy, and its gonna be windy. That wont stop our boat, we are going to grind it out off South Bowen, hugging the shore to hide from the wind (hopefully) Saturday morning until mid to late afternoon. There are a few boats that will be out there with us fighting the elements. 88A - Bad Habits - is my call. Give us a wave if you are in the area.

I'll be on the water on Sunday. First trip in my new boat, so will see if it catches fish. LOL! I'll have the radio 88A if anyone else is out there. Too bad it's so blustery today, as the tide look good for the hump.

Nice Dave, see you out there tomorrow. Keep in mind the wind forecasts are often wrong. Been let down many times.

Nice Dave, see you out there tomorrow. Keep in mind the wind forecasts are often wrong. Been let down many times.

it's frickin' cold out right now! 2.5 foot chop too....

I'll be on the water on Sunday. First trip in my new boat, so will see if it catches fish. LOL! I'll have the radio 88A if anyone else is out there. Too bad it's so blustery today, as the tide look good for the hump.

Did you go bigger or smaller boat?

will be out in the morning so will see what the wind is blowing
afternoon low tide was looking good with the wind forecast but have to work........

will report back tomorrow eve...
88a johnboy wildthing

How did you make out yesterday Nick?

We had a good shakedown...everything pretty decent...next week lines down

Guy

The day had UPS and DOWNS thats for sure. Weatherman was wrong. It was a little lumpy to start the morning. But flattened out pretty quick with the sun in tow. Turned into a beauty afternoon. Fish wise, we had no luck. I want jump on Chubby's report, but he did pretty gat-damn good out there!!

I was tested throughout the day on my first of true sea trials. Started it out with a downrigger that was spooled backwards. A kicker that was willing to give me grief through the day, the only hint of water found its way into the cabin and ontop of all my fuse panels....no shorts but I knocked the HDS Negative wire loose, another quick repair...for some reason my radar is not turning on..and last but not least it seems (hopefully) that a fuel line wasn't zapstrapped securely so the line kinked and starved my main of fuel. We lost power right in the North Arm, surrounded by working tugs. My mates were hard on the oars to keep us in a safe spot. Long story short we got it running, but Im guessing my new ETEC is smarter than I as I think it went into safe mode once I could't get fuel pressure back. I forgot about the priming sequence if the engine were to run dry.
Aside from all those woes, I was VERY impressed with Victoria Coast Guard. I had radio'd the tugs in the area to let them know of my situation...the Coast Guard chimed in and made contact with me at that point. Whoever was on the other end, a big thanks!! Although we did not need aid at that point, it was great to know the Coasty was there listening, and would respond at a moments notice. Comforting to say the least. A REAL SHAME we wont have the facilities in Kits anymore. What a joke!

That about sums up my first true outing. We all came back in good spirits regardless...and my buddy said it best. "you build an entire boat pretty much, to think it will all run smoothly is kididng myself." Well said!!

It was great to hear from you Guy. Loooking forward to seeing you out there soon enough!

PS heard of a good few fish boated on the radio, anywhere from 8-20 lbs. (hump area methinks)
Salty Dog, thanks for making contact. My apologies if my responses were paltry at best, it was a busy first day!

Cheers!

Well boys it was quite the weekend for me and my dad,

ended up leaving rocky point and making the run to keats island friday evening after work, where we stayed for the night. up at first light and strait to the hump...5 minutes in just after 2nd rod/rigger was set PING goes the rod!!! after an intence battle with multiple runs we had a 21 pounder in the fish box...reset that same rod 10 minutes later another popper, shortly later an 8lb joined his buddy in the fish box...not much action other then shakers and one probably just leagal that I lost untill the afternoon, when my dad reeled in and bonked a fiesty 16

....with all this action we decided to stay another night at keats and try again the following morning....

Out again pretty well first light with no action until mid morning, when I reeled in a 8lber...about an hour later the realese clip popped again!! with a nice scream of the reel it turned back on my dad and lost tension, losing the fish...about 15 minutes later, another pop!! thin time after a long long run we bonked our last fish at 16 pounds 16...

also picked up prawn traps on the way home and did ok, about 100 prawn/shrimp mix in tandem trap

over all the funest weekend I have had in a long time, maybe ever!! the new boat has proven to be fishy, and sea worthy and I get to see all the work I put into it pay off...

pretty hard to wipe the smile off my face at the moment

cheers

Attachments

• chubby mods 203.jpg
    chubby mods 203.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 332
  • chubby mods 199.jpg
    chubby mods 199.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 328
  • chubby mods 210.jpg
    chubby mods 210.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 327
  • chubby mods 216.jpg
    chubby mods 216.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 329
Congrat! Enjoy these times with the old man, nice looking rig too. What did you get them, on and how deep?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back