2013 Tuna adventures

Only 47 ?? What a bummer

Ps, sarcasm. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it has to be a blast to catch that many fish. But what the heck do you do with 47 of them? That's a heck of a lot of meat.

We had another awesome tuna trip on Saturday. Left Seattle around 1PM for a trip over to Neah Bay. We got held up at the Ferry due to a train stuck on the tracks for around 30 mins but we made it to Port Angeles by 4PM. Stopped at High Tides Seafood to load up on flake ice and after they processed our charge card for $45 was told they didn't have ice (they were busy loading large totes for some commercials). Since there is no good ice in Neah Bay, I stopped and chatted to the guys and talked them into letting me come back in an hour and told them I'd make it worth their while. We had a beer at a local restaurant and picked up our food a 12 pack of beer for the ice guys. Got back to High Tides and our ice was waiting for us. Whew - problem solved. Fueled and loaded up the boat on Friday to be ready for a 6AM departure on Sat. As I was doing better on green clones last week than X-raps, I readied an arsenal for Sat. The P-line jet heads have been working well for me lately.

TunaLureArsenalSmaller.jpg

Got off the dock at about 6 and motored out. There was a little fog in the straits but it cleared up nicely once we got outside. The water was calm with 3' swells at about 10s and almost no wind. We road out to the S. end of Nitinat Canyon and had lines in the water by about 10:15. Along the way I chatted to Slivo on Why Knot. He was planning on working the N. end of Nitinat. We trolled for a few hours with no hits and no obvious signs of tuna or large flocks of birds. Tuna Don was working farther N. and Slivo started trolling his direction as there was better action up there. Eventually Why Knot was starting to get hooked up but we still had nothing going on. So around 1:30/2, we picked up and ran 18 miles up to Louden where Tuna Don, Slivo and a few others were fishing. By the time we got to Slivo's coords, his bite had died down a bit but Tuna Don was on fish about 2 miles west. So we ran out there and within 10 minutes of deploying lines we had a double. After that it was singles and doubles with a triple and a pentuple thrown in for extra fun. We got all 3 on the triple but only 3 out of 5 on the pentuple. With only two guys, it's tough to get
'em all. Here's my buddy Brad fighting a fish.
BradWithAFishOn.jpg

...and putting one out of it's misery

Pithed.jpg

... the final result

BradWithAnAlbie.jpg

Remember a few posts back when I said one of the reasons why I keep going out was the hope of landing something different - like a blue fin or a dorado? Well look at what I reeled in -
Yellowtail.jpg

YELLOW TAIL!!!

Everyone was doing well out there - here's a few of the SFBC guys on their boats

TunaDonAndWhyNotCropped.jpg
TunaDonCropped.jpg
TrophyHunter.jpg

We wound up with 22 albies and one yellow tail. Thanks so much Slivo and Tuna Don for putting us on fish. Hopefully I'll be able to return the favor at some point in the future.

Last but not least - here's the image of what we had for dinner last night. Hamachi sushi on the boat.HamichiSushi.jpg

Attachments

• TunaDon.jpg
    TunaDon.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 507
No doubt.. you need to go to a meeting at Tuna Hoarders Anonymous..haha.. hope they all found a good home and none go frezzer burnt before you can eat them..

Damn I want to go Tuna fishing!!!
Really enjoying following along this thread. Thanks for the posts.

Hope I can find my way on board with someone next year.

Tips

More pumped!! Thanks for sharing... Man a yella would be great bonus!!

On edit - I think it was Istvan who directed us north but I think Slivo was with him. It was Tuna Don who had the coordinates for the best biters. Thanks again guys!

I to enjoyed your report Seadna and was crewing with Tuna Don on Saturday. One of the things I like the most about this group and this fishery, (in addition to eating the prize!) is the unselfish sharing of information. This goes on in other fisheries, but it has higher importance in this fishery given the relative newness of the fishery to most sports fishers, and the steep learning curve we must all climb, but also because the cost of fuel is so high for most of us. With the sharing of information, such as where the fish are, we can reel in the gear and move to a better location, rather than just troll around the same spot and hope for the bite to come on. There was a lot of good sharing that went on Saturday and we all should be pleased with that. We were fortunate enough to catch enough fish so that I, like all in this group, have enough to share with family and friends. I like tuna fresh, but I also like to can it and tomorrow I will be doing just that. This way I get to eat lots of casseroles in the off season and make room in my freezer to! Photos of me in the kitchen with an apron on is pretty boring compared to the shot of Seadna and his yellowtail so I will save you the visual...

The salmon stocks must be going up with all the tuna fishing going on. It's seems like this is a new fishery but for how many years have sport guys been targeting tuna from the B.C coast?

When i was a kid I'd visit Bamfield every summer in August from about '87-93' and I remember fresh tuna from quite a few of those trips. Never got t go out on the tuna missions but still some of the best years I remember as a kid. Mud golf anyone?

Back