2013 Tuna adventures

Heading out tomorrow, staying in Winter Harbour and heading out off Brooks with a couple of buddies to try our luck. Weather, water, all looks good. Need to be on our game for the Shoot Out in a few weeks. Tix showed up today, can't wait. Will report how things go in a few days.

man its awesome seeing Tuna jump out of the water like acrobats, they are quick little buggers. fishing was very spotty but did find the commie fleet about 19 boats. but didn't start slaying them till about 3 pm water was awesome. wind picked up a bit around 6 pm on way in. all in all awesome meeting new buddy boats and we gotta do it again!!!! didn't see much marine life here a some pics.. Tails up.. Terry I got some sick pics and vids of your ride

Attachments

• boats 002.jpg
    boats 002.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 698
  • boats 020.jpg
    boats 020.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 698
  • boats 015.jpg
    boats 015.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 701
Great thread everyone. I'm enjoying it.
This year I am taking the heads off post bleeding/pre-slush. Saves room and ice. I can get 15 22 lbs average, pre cooled tunas in my costco cooler this way. How are others taking the heads off?

Great thread everyone. I'm enjoying it.
How are others taking the heads off?

slivo bites them off while bringing in the next one. he says its a lil bloody but gets it done quickly!!

Hey Smiley... I was on board with DAK for this adventure; All I can say is WOW... what a day!!! I've got some photos to post of the morning rendezvous in Bamfield at 5:30am Hopefully, I'll get some time to write more detailed post soon.

This was my first tuna fishing experience, and hopefully won't be my last. Just joined the SFBC Forum and enjoying reading posts.

Welcome Craigger2!
Looking forward to your report.

The kid wants to have username Smiley2.0 lol
Right now he lurks a lot.

ha ha Blair,, just one clean bite and its off, like a mako ha ha no we bleed them for a bit until water is clean,, cut head off and gut,, then right away into ice and lots of ice in were guts were becaus it is really really hot inside

holy moly just looked at the sst's hope some people r out.. it looks really awesome breaks almost everywhere.. go kill em Tails up......

holy moly just looked at the sst's hope some people r out.. it looks really awesome breaks almost everywhere.. go kill em Tails up......

The edge here off tofino has moved out a bit. It looks perfect. A boat out of tofino today nuked"em hard!!!

Also, I was canning today and experimenting. Chopped up about 2 lbs of tuna into less than 1 inch cubes. Added a half cup of chopped peppers and the same of onions. Then added 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce and 1 tlbs of rooster sauce. pinch of salt and some lemon juice. Canned it.
Presto. A tuna snack you can eat out of the jar. This is going to need some tweaking but I'll be taking a can out with me for lunch tomorrow for sure. IT was AOK for the first run!

Last edited by a moderator:
The edge here off tofino has moved out a bit. It looks perfect. A boat out of tofino today nuked"em hard!!!

Also, I was canning today and experimenting. Chopped up about 2 lbs of tuna into less than 1 inch cubes. Added a half cup of chopped peppers and the same of onions. Then added 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce and 1 tlbs of rooster sauce. pinch of salt and some lemon juice. Canned it.
Presto. A tuna snack you can eat out of the jar. This is going to need some tweaking but I'll be taking a can out with me for lunch tomorrow for sure. IT was AOK for the first run!

I'm out of the game right now but looking at everything all the same. Get out there tomorrow folks. It's on like Donkey Kong!!! The charts have been over the top for a couple of weeks now. Let's hope they hold for the next couple of weeks and there after. Weather is the only thing holding anyone back. The sst's and chloro's are rippin'.

Here's a closeup view of the bird. I'm thinking it was some kind of finch but I don't think it's a gold finch. View attachment 8953

Gold finch look like this.

View attachment 8954
(Male on left, female on right.)
But yes, they are pretty fearless.

......They are a type of Warbler. The long slender beak is for catching and eating insects. Finches have a shorter thicker beak to break the seeds that they eat.
There are several variants around.
cheers.........

I'll be making another run on Sat. From the temps, I might be hitting JDF canyon this time. We'll see, if I wind up hitting Nitinat, I'll look for some of the Ukee boys in the area.

I'm heading to Ilwaco this weekend for Tuna. Has anyone fished the Astoria, Willapa or Guide Canyon in the past?

I'll send pictures on Monday with a report.

They were catching lots of tuna off Nootka only 30 miles offshore this week.

I'm heading to Ilwaco this weekend for Tuna. Has anyone fished the Astoria, Willapa or Guide Canyon in the past?

I'll send pictures on Monday with a report.

They were catching lots of tuna off Nootka only 30 miles offshore this week.

Fishtofino and myself are fishing out of Ilwaco as well on Saturday the 14th. We have never fished the area either. We are going on the Pacific Dream (56' Little Hoquium) with Pacific Salmon Charters. Getting pretty pumped up to try the live bait thing. It should be a blast.

Good luck out there codfather.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Who's taking advantage of the perfect conditions tomorrow? Looks like its going to be a beauty. I plan on hunting in Nitinat

Loudoun looks good according to the data but there has been a shakup with the chlorophyl. IT still is ok but I think finding blue water will be more challenging than it has been.
I fished clear green water yesterday with 9 or so other boats at CC and it was scratchy but still fun.

Back