2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Cool stufff Greg!

Now to get that deckhand of yours who now lives on that side of the pond to work!

LOL ....that 'deckhand' was actually brought out in the old DE to greet me - we rafted out there off Entrance for a while . That 'deckhand' was the first to use the porta-pottie !!.
We'll get you out soon Carl!

Nice looking boat Greg, didn't know you were pulling big slabs in all day though . Should have known better as this is not unusual for you lol. Nice break in.

Yup , I need a new kicker bracket and fast , trip to bamfield in a week !

Kicker.jpg

Try the Garelick offshore bracket, rated to 30hp.
Bullet proof!
It will be the last bracket you buy.
Had one on my last boat and lasted 10 years until I sold it.
Those light guage stainless brackets don't hold up, had the same issue

Hey Vancouver guys,

A little off topic but for those who don't always check the other sections of this forum (Conservation, etc) I just posted some info to an upcoming town hall meeting re: Proposed Enbridge Pipeline. See below.

Guys, as promised here is the information regarding the town hall meeting where you can hear Robyn Allan speak in person and ask questions. I will be making an effort to attend. I found her first presentation very refreshing in that she is clear and concise and the stuff that she says is actually supported by traceable/supportable facts (novel concept, eh?). I know a few of you on this thread were interested in attending so if you can be in the Vancouver area on June 16th I highly recommend you attend. See ya there!

June 16: "TOWN HALL - Enbridge's Northern Gateway Project: Economic Benefit or Liability?"

WHEN: Saturday June 16, 2012

10:00 -11:30 am

WHERE West Point Grey Community Centre Gym

4397 West 2nd Avenue map

Last month there was shocked silence when Economist Robyn Allan ended her talk at the MP Breakfast Connections! Could it really be true that Enbridge's Northern Gateway Pipeline submission to the National Energy Board review is "deceptive" and inaccurate? Are Enbridge's proposed economic benefits in reality a massive wealth transfer from the pockets of Canadian consumers, commuters and businesses - and into the bank accounts of foreign-owned oil producers?

Come and find out on Saturday June 16, at a Town Hall featuring Ms. Robyn Allan, respected independent economist and former head of ICBC. Whether you are concerned about the environmental risks of this pipeline route, or whether you consider the risks to be manageable, join us for an in-depth look at this important issue facing BC residents. Find out what you can do to ensure your voice is heard.

Back on topic, anyone picking up any decent fish close to Vancouver these days? I did manage a few last weekend on the east side of galiano. Great bbq size but 14lbs was the biggest of the bunch. I heard north of thrasher in the neck point area they have picked up some nice fish in the 20's + but that is a long haul for us Vancouver folk.

Back on topic, anyone picking up any decent fish close to Vancouver these days? I did manage a few last weekend on the east side of galiano. Great bbq size but 14lbs was the biggest of the bunch. I heard north of thrasher in the neck point area they have picked up some nice fish in the 20's + but that is a long haul for us Vancouver folk.

Talked to a guy at the McDonald beach boat launch on Tuesday that got one off Jericho. Haven't heard of much else. I think most people are making the run across these days so there hasn't been that much effort put in on the Vancouver side.

Talked to a guy at the McDonald beach boat launch on Tuesday that got one off Jericho. Haven't heard of much else. I think most people are making the run across these days so there hasn't been that much effort put in on the Vancouver side.

There has been effort on the Vancouver side...and it's not paying off.

Try the Garelick offshore bracket, rated to 30hp.
Bullet proof!
It will be the last bracket you buy.
Had one on my last boat and lasted 10 years until I sold it.
Those light guage stainless brackets don't hold up, had the same issue
Agreed, This was on the boat when I bought it a yr ago and kinda figured it would go so time now to upgrade again.

How muddy is the water in the harbour? I am heading out on Sunday and dont think it is worth trolling in murky water. Might head over to Thrasher if its too muddy.

How muddy is the water in the harbour? I am heading out on Sunday and dont think it is worth trolling in murky water. Might head over to Thrasher if its too muddy.
It's only the top couple of feet that's muddy freshwater from the Fraser the Salmon are way underneath it.

Decided to make the trip to Gabriola tomorrow with a buddy. If you see a blue hulled 17' junker out there getting knocked around in the waves that's us, give us a wave or stop by.

Cheers

Looks like the wind will be laying off a bit especially in the afternoon so I think I will run across as well....will be in a 24 Pursuit with green canvas

2 seperate Vancouver guiding outfits (Bon Chovy and Pacific Angler) have just posted about the upcoming COHO fishery. I guess they are throwing up the white flag on the Sh%tty start of the Chinook season.... this is from the Pacific Angler guys..

One thing that we are keeping our eyes on is the Capilano River. This time, 2 years ago the fishing off the mouth for coho was simply on fire. Fish are pouring into the river right now. Although we have not heard of any reports we are watching this fishery and expect good things soon. Right now the river is high and the fish tend to move straight into the river. If the river drops the coho will stack up. The strategies for fishing this area are a little different than in others. Fish shallow, 20-60 ft., with smaller spoons and white uv hoochies with relatively faster trolling speeds. Make sure to talk to the staff at Pacific Angler if you want to try this fishery. As well, if you have a good report you would like to share with us we would love to hear about it. Feel free to give us a call (604-872-2204) or send an email (msharp@pacificangler.ca).

Here is Bon Chovy....

The Gulf Islands have continued to produced good numbers of chinook over the last few days. The fish were in pockets and once you found them you got hook ups! The majority of the fish were caught offshore but there was some good reports of fish in tight to structure. Hootchies and spoons continued to take the lions share of the fish from 75 to 160 feet.

As we progress into June we should see the consistent Gulf Island chinook continue and with some luck we will start seeing some coho salmon stack up in Vancouver Harbour. The coho fishery off West Vancouver typically gets going in the 2nd to 3rd week of June. This year things look like they may be delayed by the generous snowpack from this past winter. Hopefully by late June we should have some good coho fishing….there is already lots of coho in the Capilano River!

Give us a call to book a 10 hour Gulf Island trip….June is one fo the best months!!!!

2 seperate Vancouver guiding outfits (Bon Chovy and Pacific Angler) have just posted about the upcoming COHO fishery. I guess they are throwing up the white flag on the Sh%tty start of the Chinook season.... this is from the Pacific Angler guys..

One thing that we are keeping our eyes on is the Capilano River. This time, 2 years ago the fishing off the mouth for coho was simply on fire. Fish are pouring into the river right now. Although we have not heard of any reports we are watching this fishery and expect good things soon. Right now the river is high and the fish tend to move straight into the river. If the river drops the coho will stack up. The strategies for fishing this area are a little different than in others. Fish shallow, 20-60 ft., with smaller spoons and white uv hoochies with relatively faster trolling speeds. Make sure to talk to the staff at Pacific Angler if you want to try this fishery. As well, if you have a good report you would like to share with us we would love to hear about it. Feel free to give us a call (604-872-2204) or send an email (msharp@pacificangler.ca).

Here is Bon Chovy....

The Gulf Islands have continued to produced good numbers of chinook over the last few days. The fish were in pockets and once you found them you got hook ups! The majority of the fish were caught offshore but there was some good reports of fish in tight to structure. Hootchies and spoons continued to take the lions share of the fish from 75 to 160 feet.

As we progress into June we should see the consistent Gulf Island chinook continue and with some luck we will start seeing some coho salmon stack up in Vancouver Harbour. The coho fishery off West Vancouver typically gets going in the 2nd to 3rd week of June. This year things look like they may be delayed by the generous snowpack from this past winter. Hopefully by late June we should have some good coho fishing….there is already lots of coho in the Capilano River!

Give us a call to book a 10 hour Gulf Island trip….June is one fo the best months!!!!

Nothing like spending thousands of dollars on a boat and gear to go fish 5lb coho and battle seals for it. Saw this coming, best bet is to get over to the other side if the winds allow but this year unless you are retired and can go at a moments notice forget it.

the big Springs are nice, but nothing wrong with coho I love eating coho, and the seals just make it all the more challenging:D
and sometimes too its just nice to stay close to home and go out for that quick after dinner fish, but yes I agree if opportunity presents itself head over

I"ll take Coho over a stinky white anyday.
seems lately 50% chance of a white.

I regret selling my 14ft. Duroboat with 20 h.p. Yammie 2 stroke but needed the cash, best rig with manual riggers was mint for Cap and other places.

Back