2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Ran across to Gabriola this am ...flat until half way and then a choppy ride.
Too rough to fish other than south of the island....had a couple of hits there and a ling cod.
Around 3 it layed down and ran to Entrance Island and boxed a 12 and 7 both white
Had a feed of crab in the trap also...nice to get out

Ran across to Gabriola this am ...flat until half way and then a choppy ride.
Too rough to fish other than south of the island....had a couple of hits there and a ling cod.
Around 3 it layed down and ran to Entrance Island and boxed a 12 and 7 both white
Had a feed of crab in the trap also...nice to get out

Good for you man, thanks for letting us know its still good there. Looks like Sunday sucks as well. :mad:

planning to run to entrance in am does anyone know if it will be rough.Wind finder said good eviro said 10 to 20 .thanks

White Flag?

2 seperate Vancouver guiding outfits (Bon Chovy and Pacific Angler) have just posted about the upcoming COHO fishery. I guess they are throwing up the white flag on the Sh%tty start of the Chinook season.... this is from the Pacific Angler guys..

One thing that we are keeping our eyes on is the Capilano River. This time, 2 years ago the fishing off the mouth for coho was simply on fire. Fish are pouring into the river right now. Although we have not heard of any reports we are watching this fishery and expect good things soon. Right now the river is high and the fish tend to move straight into the river. If the river drops the coho will stack up. The strategies for fishing this area are a little different than in others. Fish shallow, 20-60 ft., with smaller spoons and white uv hoochies with relatively faster trolling speeds. Make sure to talk to the staff at Pacific Angler if you want to try this fishery. As well, if you have a good report you would like to share with us we would love to hear about it. Feel free to give us a call (604-872-2204) or send an email (msharp@pacificangler.ca).

Here is Bon Chovy....

The Gulf Islands have continued to produced good numbers of chinook over the last few days. The fish were in pockets and once you found them you got hook ups! The majority of the fish were caught offshore but there was some good reports of fish in tight to structure. Hootchies and spoons continued to take the lions share of the fish from 75 to 160 feet.

As we progress into June we should see the consistent Gulf Island chinook continue and with some luck we will start seeing some coho salmon stack up in Vancouver Harbour. The coho fishery off West Vancouver typically gets going in the 2nd to 3rd week of June. This year things look like they may be delayed by the generous snowpack from this past winter. Hopefully by late June we should have some good coho fishing….there is already lots of coho in the Capilano River!

Give us a call to book a 10 hour Gulf Island trip….June is one fo the best months!!!!

It has been a pretty typical June so far Brad and we're closed south of the North Arm in the best areas to fish for Chinooks. I know of one about 10 pounds caught off the hump today. Chinook fishing has never been "great" in Vancouver in June per se, however, there's no telling how good it may be since we can't fish where we ought to be fishing

I know Pacific Angler was over at the Gulf Islands today, fished in some TOUGH conditions this morning and landed a 30 and a 12. Yesterday Pacific Angler hit the dock with 5 Chinooks, a 19, 17, 16, 12 and a 20. I believe the Bonchovy guys are finding fish as well. The fish are scattered over there right now and you have to get on them.

Firms like Bonchovy and Pacific Angler want to put their clients into fish and recommend trips for that.

That Coho fishery can be a lot of fun, and 2010 Coho fishing was a lot of fun for novice anglers. Hitting 6 to 20 Cohos and the odd shot at a mature Chinook in the 20 plus pound range is nothing to complain about in a 5 hour fishing trip...that was 2010 at times!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pacific angler just nailed their first TYHEE of the season. I think they are either at Thrashed or Grande'. This was 25 min ago.

Made the run across yesterday morning; the seas were very rough up until shortly after noon. Released a ling and an undersized coho then finally boxed a 15lb marble off grande about 6:30pm. Green splatter back hootchie at 150 feet.

Trap was full of crabs when we got back to Van.

Ran across to Entrance this am with my other and a goo friend.It was pretty rough even for my 31 amberjack.Managed to get five all between 12 to 14lb. anywhere between 60 to 160 feet deep on chovy and green glow spoon

Going out tomorrow as I see the following days call for a Northwest . Probobly just drop traps and fish local.

Went to Thrasher then up to Entrance, sealed twice by some big old brute and lost another one at 130ft. No one around just a couple of boats.Wonder where the local charter guys were today?

Saw this boat and a few smaller commercial netting salmon at fraser mouth.

013-16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone fishing localy? I can get away tomorrow but not sure what the heck to do, haven't heard anything about Thrasher lately.

We were at Five Fingers on Tuesday and it was not good at all. Guess I have to go back to Thrasher if no local fish happening, I would think any Cap fish are going straight up with the rasin and high water.

I'll be getting out Sunday. Nice fathers day present. The wife said get out of the house and go fish for the afternoon. No idea where to go, but will probably stay fairly close to Vancouver as I only have 4 or 5 hours free to fish. Anybody going to be out Sunday afternoon?

Have a happy fatherday everyone. I am fortunate that I get to go to Haida Gwaii this weekend with my father, 2 brothers-in-law and some friends! Tight lines everyone.

I'll be getting out Sunday. Nice fathers day present. The wife said get out of the house and go fish for the afternoon. No idea where to go, but will probably stay fairly close to Vancouver as I only have 4 or 5 hours free to fish. Anybody going to be out Sunday afternoon?

Yup but I'll be fishing Bamfield :) ..... good luck out front guys !!

Back