2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

No luck for me at thrasher today. Put in a good effort from 3:00 - 8:00 but no hits. Ran hoochies and a coyote spoon. 100-160 ft from grande to the thrasher marker and out into 800'.

No luck for me at thrasher today. Put in a good effort from 3:00 - 8:00 but no hits. Ran hoochies and a coyote spoon. 100-160 ft from grande to the thrasher marker and out into 800'.

I did the same thing Friday and caught 3 undersize and missed two hits. All action on green spackle hootchie and not a touch on my perfect chovies which tells me the big fish are not there. I will not bother going over unless there are real positive reports, hopefully it begins to pick up locally.

I am gonna try to get over to nanaimo tomorrow to see my 7 year old daughter for father's day - Hope to fish for 2-3 hours before Father's day brunch.

Blackmax, No touch on your anchovies should not be telling you there is no "big" fish over there. While Gabriola sees very few fish much over 30 lbs, spoons have traditionally been better there at this time of year than chovies and have been getting the lions share of fish there. Some hootchies do well too. When the young of the year herring are abundant over there, smaller spoons become the ticket ( "match the hatch")

I am gonna try to get over to nanaimo tomorrow to see my 7 year old daughter for father's day - Hope to fish for 2-3 hours before Father's day brunch.

Blackmax, No touch on your anchovies should not be telling you there is no "big" fish over there. While Gabriola sees very few fish much over 30 lbs, spoons have traditionally been better there at this time of year than chovies and have been getting the lions share of fish there. Some hootchies do well too. When the young of the year herring are abundant over there, smaller spoons become the ticket ( "match the hatch")

I heard on the radio they were catching around Fingers yesterday, yes the majority were trolling spoons and a lot of talk of a cream colored one. Last year at this time I had the same small chovies on and was outfishing most boats 2 to 1 (got them at Nikka they are American brand). Best of luck tomorrow Peahead. :)

I heard on the radio they were catching around Fingers yesterday, yes the majority were trolling spoons and a lot of talk of a cream colored one. Last year at this time I had the same small chovies on and was outfishing most boats 2 to 1 (got them at Nikka they are American brand). Best of luck tomorrow Peahead. :)

It's the Irish Cream...and Cookies 'n Cream made by Silver Horde.

Both these spoons have a GLOW back. The Irish Cream has a glow green stripe and a UV purple haze white on the front. It has a scale patterned sticker on the front. The Cookies 'n Cream is the same, only the stripe on the front is Black.
There is nothing particularly special about these spoons except for the double combination of UV and glow and they're throw aways after they get tired. They have just filled a void in the market place left by the Luhr Jensen Coyotes. They are light flutter spoons and I have had mid teen Chinooks bend, and toast the spoon and hook. If you buy the larger size with the sickle hook, the hook will last 2 days of action if that...and maybe just one day if you keep catching fish.

The old original Green Glow Coyote and Midnight Riders/Cop Cars will exceed productivity on the Silver Hordes, however the originals are long gone from most tackle stores.

Nikka in Steveston and Berry's Bait have all of these in stock. If you're in Vancouver, save the gas and go to Pacific Angler on Broadway. They have the weapons of choice. In all cases, substitute out the hooks for SS Mustads.

Happy Slayin'!

Hole in the Wall should be producing some good springs soon ........ more to come Gulf Island side, West Van Shore, for Ho's and springs too ,,,,,,, patience .......

HT

Put a 15 & 10 in the box today off thrasher. We also released a few undersized had one big one break the main line and missed a good solid hit. Fish were between 60 & 120 on the kitchen sink spoon above a daisy chain.

Fished an hour near bell bouy. Released one 2lb chinook, 45' on yellowtail spoon.

Just trying the setup for the new boat, and liking it.

Beautiful evening on the water, sunny and warm.

Fished thrasher today for the evening; no hits for me again. Ran a coho killer spoon and a green splatter back hootchie 110-140 feet about 2 miles out from grande.

Heading out tonight after work. Longest day of the year, so should be a nice night with the light winds forecast.

Gonna work the Cap and West Van area. One DR for springs / coho, and gonna try bucktailing for coho for the first time as well.

Duff

Great idea to get out .......what a beauty day...flat calm.....if I wasn't on my way to a meeting in Gibsons I'd be playing hookey...

Hmm.... so I guess the coho in the Cap are taking the Lion's Gate then.
They don't orient to the surface locally like WCVI or other places and not just because of all the the freshwater around now.

It might work in late August into October.

Shouldn't you also be going much faster when bucktailing?
Yes.

A watermelon coloured Apex fished 4' behind a 1 ounce sinker in the propwash works just as well if not better than a bucktail and you can drag it @ your regular speed.

You do need Coho up top though which is what we don't see here much.

Back