2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

the fish we boated on the vancouver side of the straight this year I think have been all reds. On the nanaimo side the fish were a mix of marbles and whites.

Sunday report:
Got my new to me Grady from NY here and after a lotta work gettin her all rigged and ready to fish I finally got out. Getting used to her (by myself) was a goal for Sunday and I did get to know her quite well. Started at about 10am "offshore" eastern Gabriola just east of Whalebone and caught tail end of decent bite but then it slowed. Had another decent bite "offshore" of Entrance and then I quit at 3:30 after having played 5 very strong chinook, keeping a 23.5 lb, 25.5lb and releasing an 18ish. Fought 2 other very strong fish for a significant amount of time - these fish are strong and almost spooled me a couple times. Spoons 130-160' in 300-1100' (Only one Tommy Cod/Hake to deal with)

The "new" boat got broken in and my arms were sore :)

View attachment 3996

Hey Greg,
I heard ya on the radio talking about how much of a pleasure the new boat was single handed, didnt realize it was you.
also was envious of the fish you were taking up that way and would have wandered up there if I wasnt dragging schrapenel from the damaged tab,
which now that I have it home I see a bunch of the bottom paint is scraped off about a foot wide directly in front of it so I obviously hit something on that side, with the lumpy crossing anything is possible.

Flat calm the hump right now, no fish yet. Nanaimo side getting more than their share, GOOD ON THEM !!

You can be there in 20-30 if your on the hump Clint GO GET EM!
Tim

You can be there in 20-30 if your on the hump Clint GO GET EM!
Tim

I know, I know LOL
But I was trying to prove it could be done at the hump and trust me I fished it until 1500 and nothing ...... now I had to get back.
There were a few rollers when I hit the QA and somewhere along the line I busted my kicker bracket, lucky I didnt loose the kicker but put a 4 inch crack in the bracket and stripped one of the four main bolts. Then to beat that I came into the marina , very very very slow and grounded out in the mud , what grounded out , yup grounded out but its very soft mud and didnt even feel the boat being stopped until I noticed I wasnt moving. I put a pole in the water and what the f%$& , its mud, about 15 feet from my slip closer to shore, but looks like a little we got a little problem. I got my self off and waited an hour for the rise and got to my slip ......... (mental note .... at negative tide watch for hump at dock , stay to far right). O well new moorage for me , will know better next time.

What a day , now smoking fish and watching Deadliest Catch .... alls good

Clint
PS; If anyone catches anything at the hump , I want pictures LOL

Marine Weather Report

Flat calm the hump right now, no fish yet. Nanaimo side getting more than their share, GOOD ON THEM !!

Monday I tried getting over to the Nanaimo side but increasing heavy seas were too much for my small boat and I had to turn back when over half-way acoss. Radio traffic seemed to indicate that conditions the other side did not make for comfortable fishing. Managed a just legal out of English Bay.

This morning I looked at the Marine Weather pages which showed again a 'Severe Wind Warning' for South Georgia Strait and decided to give it a miss. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when I looked over the Strait at 3.00pm and it was calm as a mirror! :mad:

Maybe tomorrow.

Monday I tried getting over to the Nanaimo side but increasing heavy seas were too much for my small boat and I had to turn back when over half-way acoss. Radio traffic seemed to indicate that conditions the other side did not make for comfortable fishing. Managed a just legal out of English Bay.

This morning I looked at the Marine Weather pages which showed again a 'Severe Wind Warning' for South Georgia Strait and decided to give it a miss. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when I looked over the Strait at 3.00pm and it was calm as a mirror! :mad:

Maybe tomorrow.

Hope you get that day you want !
I wasnt going to go until I went down to the boat at about 10am and heard the chatter of calm seas, I looked at the weather stations and it looked like all stations were reporting 'WIND WARNINGS' but yet the seas were subsiding, dont they read their on fricken data !!
I decided , it looks like a green light so I went and it was calm. If I wasnt such a hard butt I should have gone to Nanaimo, it was flat but I wanted to prove the fishing was good on our end of the pond ......... I was wrong , oh well thats the way it goes LOL
Have a good day if you go out eh !

:D
I wasnt going to go until I went down to the boat at about 10am and heard the chatter of calm seas, I looked at the weather stations and it looked like all stations were reporting 'WIND WARNINGS' but yet the seas were subsiding, dont they read their on fricken data !!
I decided , it looks like a green light so I went and it was calm. If I wasnt such a hard butt I should have gone to Nanaimo, it was flat but I wanted to prove the fishing was good on our end of the pond ......... I was wrong , oh well thats the way it goes LOL

Anyone could just blast across and catch fish its the true sportsman that goes to the dead spots and fishes. At least thats what I told myself on Sunday.:D

i'm looking at the windfinder.com site more and liking the way they forecast

Out of the 5 fish we boxed on sunday at Gabriola 2 were reds and 2 white and one marbled the fish that we have caught on this side were not reds......

the fish we boated on the vancouver side of the straight this year I think have been all reds. On the nanaimo side the fish were a mix of marbles and whites.

I know, I know LOL
But I was trying to prove it could be done at the hump and trust me I fished it until 1500 and nothing ...... now I had to get back.
There were a few rollers when I hit the QA and somewhere along the line I busted my kicker bracket, lucky I didnt loose the kicker but put a 4 inch crack in the bracket and stripped one of the four main bolts. Then to beat that I came into the marina , very very very slow and grounded out in the mud , what grounded out , yup grounded out but its very soft mud and didnt even feel the boat being stopped until I noticed I wasnt moving. I put a pole in the water and what the f%$& , its mud, about 15 feet from my slip closer to shore, but looks like a little we got a little problem. I got my self off and waited an hour for the rise and got to my slip ......... (mental note .... at negative tide watch for hump at dock , stay to far right). O well new moorage for me , will know better next time.

What a day , now smoking fish and watching Deadliest Catch .... alls good

Clint
PS; If anyone catches anything at the hump , I want pictures LOL

Great end to a not so great day !

SalmonSmokeJune2012.jpg

Fished thrasher today from 3:30 - 8:00 PM. sirvivor I passed you on my way out, right at the mouth of the north arm.

Awesome dolphin show mid way across to thrasher. Got some good video of it will post it soon.

Managed a 15lb white and a 8lb white off el grande. Splatter back hoochies, 130-140 ft. Green flashers, 3.5 mph troll.

Attachments

• 8lbd white gabriola.jpg
    8lbd white gabriola.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 15lb white gabriola.jpg
    15lb white gabriola.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 105
working those fish pretty good TS....nice kills.

Made the run over to the fingers this past Saturday and like most here on the forum, ponded over in 5-6 foot slop and burned half a tank of fuel just getting over there. By the time we got there we were all half sick and then to top it off my kicker wouldn't run right once we stopped to set up lol. Crazy what we all go through some times to catch that easily obtainable yet sometimes so illusive salmon. We manage to get the kicker running at one fast speed, which got real interesting later on into the weekend when had to get into silva bay shipyard on the lowest tide of the year and 20 knot winds ripping through the back entrance, no reverse and kicker would die if I even thought of slowing down the throttle, why - hit some wood and blew up the leg. Stressful trip this time around, but we did manage a few nice red springs out in front of entrance island on a pretty good evening bite. We landed a 15 and 16 lost a good sized one and released a few undersize all between 156 and 120. We had most the hits on a green glo double skirt, but also broke one off in by whale bone on the irish cream and had some hook ups on the spatter back ace high fly. Stoked for the members here who got into some big slabs and sorry to here about some of the damage caused to others. Good time to thank Guy from bonnie lee for the ride back on Monday. Hopefully the folks over at silva bay will have the boat ready to go for the weekend.

Crazy what we all go through some times to catch that easily obtainable yet sometimes so illusive salmon.

Fishing is the pursuit of what is illusive, but obtainable. A perpetual cycle of moments of hope, joy, and frustration. A challenge only matched when Man meets Nature.

Its what will keep me on the water for many years to come.

Hard luck on the boat, seems the Straight has a taste for legs and tabs!

Watching the wind pattern and its all over the place, looking like Friday would be best to cross for rape and pillage on the Island side. Supposed to blow up to 15 SE in the morning then turn to 10 NW in the afternoon.

Watching the wind pattern and its all over the place, looking like Friday would be best to cross for rape and pillage on the Island side. Supposed to blow up to 15 SE in the morning then turn to 10 NW in the afternoon.

I decided not to rely on the postings . Just go , worst case u have a boat ride !

Nice fish Greg. You get that kicker set up ok?

Thanks yeah fishing was pretty decent and boat was great.
yes I did get the bracket logistics figured out on the 228. The 232's kicker bracket also worked out well too but we used completely different bracket on the 232 -

For the 228 I used the Adventure Marine swim platform bracket - I will PM you photos of it installed with kicker ( I got a 2012 9.9 yami HT/ ES /ET from down south).
I cut two squares of starboard as spacer and bolted everything with te spacers under the bracket to raise it up a bit higher on the swim platform. I used the Adventure Marine (aluminum) backing plate under the platform and 'sandwiched' the whole thing with bolts and big washers. The aluminum backing plate had to be cut smaller to fit under the platform and so its predrilled holes would line up. Only thing I am gonna do is add an aluminum or stainless support post of some kind from the transom to the outside of the bracket to support the outer edge of the swim platform. The hand rail on the swim grid was not an issue and was never in the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Greg,
I heard ya on the radio talking about how much of a pleasure the new boat was single handed, didnt realize it was you.
also was envious of the fish you were taking up that way and would have wandered up there if I wasnt dragging schrapenel from the damaged tab,
which now that I have it home I see a bunch of the bottom paint is scraped off about a foot wide directly in front of it so I obviously hit something on that side, with the lumpy crossing anything is possible.
Sorry to hear of the tab issue - hey I have been fixing and installing things more than fish'in lately so know what thats like !

Back