2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Reddied my gear last night, retied the splaterback hoochies to 32 inches with no swivel and departed with two buddiesat 8:30 this morning for Entrance island. Dropped the gear and in 5 minutes had a 10 in the box.
Boxed an 11 and a 13 ....all shallow.....in quick succession
Dropped the gear deeper and hooked a 20 lb screamer...thought it was much bigger ....my friends knuckles got rapped good.
Finished up with a 25 lb red. Five for five and back in False Creek by 3.
Cant see it getting much better than that.
Good warmup for the Silva Bay Derby
Untitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished thrasher today. Got over from mainland by 6 am. Had two fish in the boat, one right after another by 8am. A 6lb and 25lb white spring. Now its a pink spring as it sits in the fridge. Wonder why fish meat changes colour? Anybody know?

Depths 120 and 85 ft. all on bait. The big fish was a blue herring teaser with a matching flasher. Big fish every tapped the bait so lightly.

Nothing afterwards, till 3 when we headed home. Winds were better on the Gabriola side. Fishable today with very little debris in the water.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/album.php?albumid=125

Attachments

• gus fish.jpg
    gus fish.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 129
Myself and Rich (GoGreen) Left the FUEL dock at 8am, heading for Thrasher side holy crap what a miserable crossing, actually ripped 1 trim tab clean off the boat couldn't trim the boat up, we had to unbolt the hanging tab leaving the piston in place tied up to the garelick mount, decided we were half way across the straight so no turning back now, we were committed ( or should be lol) hit the other side around 9 and lines down, water was much better 1st big hit comes and I'm on major head shakes and heads straight down peeling line like a freight train, knew it was a biggie just as I start gaining some line back everything
Goes limp, apparently I can't tie clinch knots now damn! Lost fish, a little while later I released an undersized then about 2 pm Rich looks at me and calmly says " you gonna get that" I 'm like wtf you talking about then I see my rod just given er, Was trying to just hang onto the boat the currents were crazy strong and Water was picking up again but we managed to land this, looked to be low 20's but my scale showed it at 15.8 biggest 15 I ever caught, starting to wonder bout that scale, nothing again for a while now so we thought we would try for a ling headed over to the reefs and water was real nasty by now and I' m still dragging a trim piston, so we scrapped that idea and started across taking a beating all the way, took about an hour and a half to get back pounding all the way not being able to put the tabs down to stabilize some.
undersized came on an anchovy at 127, other 2 came on blue glow splatter back hootchie/glow flashers at 127 in 1200' water 4-5 miles off the grande,
a quick war pic lol

ae01ab11-d7c5-8004.jpg

Hard luck with the big boy Tim. I lost a fish last season and the only evidence to the miss was the squiggly end of a leader, not snapped, but a knot un-done...leaves a bad taste in your mouth! Enjoyable read nonetheless...

Sounds like a few boats had some nice luck locally! Nice fish codboy..

Anyone dipped any prawn traps recently since the commis have done (are they still fishing?) their part?

Myself and Rich (GoGreen) Left the FUEL dock at 8am, heading for Thrasher side holy crap what a miserable crossing, actually ripped 1 trim tab clean off the boat couldn't trim the boat up, we had to unbolt the hanging tab leaving the piston in place tied up to the garelick mount, decided we were half way across the straight so no turning back now, we were committed ( or should be lol) hit the other side around 9 and lines down, water was much better 1st big hit comes and I'm on major head shakes and heads straight down peeling line like a freight train, knew it was a biggie just as I start gaining some line back everything
Goes limp, apparently I can't tie clinch knots now damn! Lost fish, a little while later I released an undersized then about 2 pm Rich looks at me and calmly says " you gonna get that" I 'm like wtf you talking about then I see my rod just given er, Was trying to just hang onto the boat the currents were crazy strong and Water was picking up again but we managed to land this looked to be low 20's but my scale showed it at 15.8 biggest 15 I ever caught, nothing again for a while now so we thought we would try for a ling headed over to the reefs and water was real nasty by now and I' m still dragging a trim piston, so we scrapped that idea and started across taking a beating all the way, took about an hour and a half to get back pounding all the way not being able to put the tabs down to stabilize some.
undersized came on an anchovy at 127, other 2 came on blue glow splatter back hootchie/glow flashers at 127 in 1200' water 4-5 miles off the grande

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry to hear about the trims , wow !
Good to hear you had some meat on the lines that stuck and at least got back home safe and sound !!
Im thinking of following the ferry from bowen to five fingures , since the reports and chatter on the VHF sounded like that was the spot.
Did you hear of anyone else around thrasher loosing trims and fighting fish ?

Clint
PS; Sure hope your tims are a quick inexpensive fix , but when it comes to boats , well you know !!! Yikes

Fished thrasher today, noon till 7:30pm. I was pretty much the only boat out there except for a few that stopped by every now and then. I guess everybody was up north for the derby.

1:30pm had a good hit and long line release. Followed shortly after by an under sized spring.

Not much at all until 6:00 PM out by el grande, rod went off, huge tangle, managed to land a 19lbs white. The bite was on then. Proceeded to lose 3 more good fish in the next 45 minutes.

All my action was on splatter back hootchies, 138 1/2ft, trolling at 4 knots. (Faster than usual but seemed to be the trick today).

Sorry to hear about the trims , wow !
Good to hear you had some meat on the lines that stuck and at least got back home safe and sound !!
Im thinking of following the ferry from bowen to five fingures , since the reports and chatter on the VHF sounded like that was the spot.
Did you hear of anyone else around thrasher loosing trims and fighting fish ?

Clint
PS; Sure hope your tims are a quick inexpensive fix , but when it comes to boats , well you know !!! Yikes

Did hear of better action off entrance and the fingers, did hear of a couple in the 30's salty dog boated a 28
Curious to hear if the derby produced any big slabs,

Trims should be an easy fix (fingers crossed), a little fiberglass repair and should be good as new, I'll pull it out and trailer home tomorrow and see, I was going to pull it anyway to install the garmin tr-1 This next week just a little sooner now is all.

FB
yeah I had the squiggly end today I know what you mean, but I did leave my mark on that fish should anyone catch one hauling around a glo blue splatterback hootchie and green glow flasher,
Anyone ever caught one towing gear?? Would be curious to hear, they probably just become seal bait if the hooks don't drop out fast enough

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Niiiiiice slab there TS!

Gidy, the captain of the boat I fish off told me a story fishing Renfrew a few years back. He was standing on the bow (as a lad), no boats in sight, and a flasher is ripping across the top of the water. He and his (dad maybe, memory escapes) geared up, throttled down and pursued the flasher on top of the water, minutes later the landing net was out and they boated a nice salmon, with a goody bag of a lure and flasher to boot! No pictures unfortunately, but a trustworthy story.

Niiiiiice slab there TS!

Thanks FB! My biggest fish yet. Broke my old record of 18lbs for a cap spring back in 2010. Was a great fight with 3 good runs but he tangled up with my second line bigtime on the 3rd run. It actually weighed 18lbs 12oz after I bled it out but I'm calling it 19.

In the 2010 sockeye run when there were literally hundreds of boats out fishing daily I saw several sockeye dragging red flashers around. I tried to net a couple but the always managed to dive down out of reach when I got near them.

Thanks FB! My biggest fish yet. Broke my old record of 18lbs for a cap spring back in 2010. Was a great fight with 3 good runs but he tangled up with my second line bigtime on the 3rd run. It actually weighed 18lbs 12oz after I bled it out but I'm calling it 19.

Did the fish fit in your Captains Cooler Chair??? ;)

Headed to Gabriola on friday night. Didn't end up getting the lines wet friday night as the ride over was long and bumpy.. Took us a little over 1 1/2 hours. Got up early sat morning (6am) and was on the water by 6:45. And was back at the dock a little after 7am with two sea sick guys. Can't blame them wasn't very fun fishing in those seas.. Anyways, we headed back out around 2:30 down 1 guy and fished for a couple hours. Picked up a 14lb red off the grande @ 88' in 800' of water on green/white glow coho killer. A couple more beers and we were back to the dock around 4:30. Had a late start on Sunday. Didn't have the rods in the water until around 11am. but shortly after a freight train hit the deeper of the two rods, and we ended up with a 20lb white. This one on a light green splatter back hootchie @ 127' in 1000' of water. We gave my buddies girl the rod for this one. She maybe weigh's 100lbs soaking wet, so it was pretty cool watching her try and handle that pig. She gave up about 5mins in with sore arms and I took over. Like Gidy-up's fish I thought it would be close to the high 20's mark the way it was running and diving deep. But on the scale it was just over 20lbs. We packed it in shortly after as it looked like the weather was about to change and didn't want the same trip as we had on friday night. Back at burrard civic by 1:30.. All in all a great trip, wish we had spent more time on the water but very happy with the two fish in the time we put in...

Nice catch Gypsyking! I see you caught a 20lb white, I also got a white at 19lbs. At the cleaning station in Silva Bay, a guy was cleaning a white. I notice that alot of the fish being caught from Gabriola up to nanaimo are white this year.

Anyone know where these fish are from? My first thought was the early Pitt River run as the Harrison river is a late run (Aug/Sept). Could they be columbia river fish?

wAnyone know here these fish are from? My first thought was the early Pitt River run as the Harrison river is a late run (Aug/Sept). Could they be columbia river fish?

Hey ts. I believe the squamish river run that usually enters howe sound mid-late june are whites. It could be them

Sunday report:
Got my new to me Grady from NY here and after a lotta work gettin her all rigged and ready to fish I finally got out. Getting used to her (by myself) was a goal for Sunday and I did get to know her quite well. Started at about 10am "offshore" eastern Gabriola just east of Whalebone and caught tail end of decent bite but then it slowed. Had another decent bite "offshore" of Entrance and then I quit at 3:30 after having played 5 very strong chinook, keeping a 23.5 lb, 25.5lb and releasing an 18ish. Fought 2 other very strong fish for a significant amount of time - these fish are strong and almost spooled me a couple times. Spoons 130-160' in 300-1100' (Only one Tommy Cod/Hake to deal with)

The "new" boat got broken in and my arms were sore :)

photo.jpg

Sunday report:
Got my new to me Grady from NY here and after a lotta work gettin her all rigged and ready to fish I finally got out. Getting used to her (by myself) was a goal for Sunday and I did get to know her quite well. Started at about 10am "offshore" eastern Gabriola just east of Whalebone and caught tail end of decent bite but then it slowed. Had another decent bite "offshore" of Entrance and then I quit at 3:30 after having played 5 very strong chinook, keeping a 23.5 lb, 25.5lb and releasing an 18ish. Fought 2 other very strong fish for a significant amount of time - these fish are strong and almost spooled me a couple times. Spoons 130-160' in 300-1100' (Only one Tommy Cod/Hake to deal with)

The "new" boat got broken in and my arms were sore :)

View attachment 3996

Great ! New boat, New Blood in it ................... and one hell a va smile holding up them fish , who wouldn't be with the day you had , good on you and hope you have many many more !

Clint

Back