2011 Sockeye Run Port Alberni

thanks alot well guess im newfie an its an offical language didnt know we were all suppose to be able to speak like unviersty kids in here wowwwwww ignorance can be so blissful at timesss wowwww...

Hey newfie, so what you said is that there are people fishing the FN side of the river and they are catching fish? Or did you say they aren't allowed to park on the road and they aren't catching anything?

Yep thats what i said wowww. I was actually asking whats happening ? An peeps are just parking on the side of the rd seen people fishing but never walked up.Am wondering if theres fish being caught.An also if theres any problems yet with parking right along side the rd.

welll went out myself and looks like parking hasnt been an issue as of yet just parking on rd side.. As for fishing put it this way gotts be there at the right time not a constant fish on thing yet but a few are being caught ... lucked out myself an had it to myself yesterday afternoon must of been right timing.. Had 6 on an managed 1 to beech water is still high thus moving fast if he makes it over the ledge which most are then just break it free or take chances on loosing all ytour main line aswell teeeheheheheh......

Any recent updates?

Any numbers being caught yet this weekend in the canal?
I'm trapped in Nanaimo early today but could whistle over for this evening if things are starting to happen...
Yeah, I know that am is best but pm is better than being stuck to the couch!
Thanks in advance, the wait is killing me!

They are starting to come into the Somass, (the natives are catching some in their nets already). We shot the canal yesterday to hit the WC, saw a few guys fishing between China Creek and Nahmint, we slowed down to try and mark some on the sounder with a few passes, but none and no bent rods while we were in the areas so carried on to the WC. Hopefully some of the guys that were sticking it out in these areas yesterday can put up a report on their successes. It should start to turn on here pretty quick. The Somass was running hard and fast, lots of water coming down from the hills, hopefully they all don't just come straight in and shoot up the river, it would be nice to at least catch a few.
Tips up and Tight Lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went for a couple hrs yesterday (Nahmint), nothing. Not a bite. Only marked a few fish, no schools.

Not good. Should be a few more being caught. Looking like they are running straight into the river. Fortunately fishing in Barkley Sound and off shore has been good.

Patience............

As soon as we get some consistent warmer weather (like the past few days), it will turn on. the fish will school up once the water temp warms a bit....

my $0.02....

Agreed, that is the pattern. Just not a good start to the season, which fortunately is being saved by the solid fishing in Barkley Sound. The tough part will be making a decision on where to fish when they hold up.

Thinking that a trip up to the canal this weekend might be in order to try for some Socks, word is they are starting to nibble.

Fishery Notice​

Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject: FN0447-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Sockeye Fishery - Area 23 - Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet

The pre-season forecast for Somass Sockeye is 600,000. The escapement
requirement at this runsize is 371,000. At this run-size First Nations,
recreational, and commercial fisheries are planned. In consultation with the
Area 23 Salmon Harvest Committee and the Port Alberni SFAC it was agreed that a
recreational fishery for sockeye in Area 23 would occur as described below.

Effective 00:01 hours Monday, June 13, 2011 until further notice the daily
quota for sockeye salmon in Area 23, Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet, will be
four (4).

The Somass Sockeye in-season stock assessment program will operate as in
previous years. This program collects escapement, test-fishing, catch and
environmental information on a weekly basis. This information is used to
prepare weekly in-season run-size reforecasts.

Fishers should be aware that the first in-season run-size reforecast will occur
on Thursday, June 30. The recreational sockeye catch to that date will be
reviewed in conjunction with the run-size reforecast estimate to determine what
management actions may be required.

Variation Order Number 2011-285

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office or visit our website at
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0447
Sent June 7, 2011 at 1102

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x..._notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=133098&ID=recreational

Out this morning, landed 6. I heard some guys are limiting out. I fished Nahmint area but I heard that narrows to China Ck was also good.

4 of us fished yesterday and today and limited out both days. No big schools, but rarely went 15 minutes without a hit. Lost several at the boat.

Damn, looks like we will be missing the action this weekend in the canal, we are heading to Ukee for the weekend. Someone mentioned on the PA reports thread that they hooked into some Sockeye at Pill Point on Monday. Anyone else been out to the sound and picked up any Sockeye?

Went 20 landed for 26 hooked yesterday with the WFN crew. 2.5 hours, and late (arrived on the grounds after 7:00 am). Some pretty good sized schools starting to bunch up. Lots of boats hooking up around us. It is definitely ON!

Running back to Ukee in minutes. Of course will drop a line on the way and letcha know...

Cheers,
Nog

fished last 2 hours before dark last night and 3 hours this morning between Dunsmuir and the Narrows...last night hooked over 20 and landed our 8 this morning hooked over 30 and only landed 6! :evil: . Depths ranged from 25 to 65'. Nice sized fish. We are shi##y at getting those slimy bastards in the boat!
What hooks do you guys use in your squirts?

large single siwash with a bend at the bottom of the shank, holds lips better when there wigglin around

Back