Dummy flashers for sockeye

the butcher

Looking forward to us hopefully getting a sockeye season at mouth of fraser this year. Will be my first sockeye season. I understand the standard setup involves an array of dummy flashers. Has anyone tested to see how less effective it is when you aren't using any extra dummy flashers with the only flashers being the ones that are on you main fishing line.

If using dummy flashers are a must, since I would be double stacking each downrigger, if I were to have 1 dummy flasher at the Canon ball and 1 flasher on each line, in total 3 flashers running on each downrigger(1 dummy and 2 inline on the 2 double stacked rods), would that be sufficient?

From a previous Pacific Angler Report. They agree with the dummy flashers for attracting sockeye in the sandy waters:

“For sockeye we recommend using 3-4 “dummy flashers” and then two flashers with small hoochies above that on the cable. The best colour hoochies historically have been hot pink with a glow head or a glow strip. Productive leader lengths have been from 22” up to 31” but most anglers fish about a 28” leader of 40 or 50 LB test. When it comes to flashers, the more flashers in the water the better. Sockeye love to follow the gear and will follow you, not the other way around if you make a big enough appearance. A great way to put those flashers you normally don’t use to good use”.

If the run is large on the Vancouver side you may not need any flashers at all. Seriously though, I have never used dummy flashers when fishing sockeye and have done quite well. Others swear by them.

In Alberni, I usually use one dummy per rigger and one flasher/gear on each side. I’ve also had luck with no dummies over the years.
when it’s on, it’s on and I don’t think it matters much, especially if you have 2 rods per side.

Anyone can catch a few socks eventually without using dummies. If your goal is to do the least possible and not challenge yourself to be as productive as possible then go for it. It blows my mind how some people can spend tens of thousands of dollars to get out on the water to catch fish and then NOT utilize the best techniques. To each their own, I guess.

I run inline flashers off the balls (one per side) and then stack two rods per side, flashers on all four line. Works great and you don't need to pull the inline flashers when you retrieve lines.

If the run is large on the Vancouver side you may not need any flashers at all. Seriously though, I have never used dummy flashers when fishing sockeye and have done quite well. Others swear by them.
Same here, never bother with dummy flasher, fish solo most of times, 2 rods no dummy flasher, if I have one person on board I stack 2 rods per side, no nets on those bad boys, just hand line them in the boat lol, slimy ******* lol, good eating

Same here, never bother with dummy flasher, fish solo most of times, 2 rods no dummy flasher, if I have one person on board I stack 2 rods per side, no nets on those bad boys, just hand line them in the boat lol, slimy ******* lol, good eating
It's not sockeye fishing unless you catch at least 12 ;)

It's not sockeye fishing unless you catch at least 12 ;)
Ya well where I fish 12 is a bit too many ya poacher lol. Kidding a side, have not Fished the sand head area in decades, Albernie canal 2-3 times in the last ten, most of the Sox’s I get is in the middle of JFS, and it’s almost stupid, use the sonar to find the schools and drop on there heads and done in less then 30 mins usually, also 90% of the time I use the old commercial hook and pink plastic straw rigs, still have a bunch stash away in the boat for once every 4 years lol

Last edited:
Back