2011 Sockeye Run Port Alberni

When using singles I prefer the black commercial hooks in size 4 with a slight bend to both the shank and "beaked" towards the point.

Usually use two back Gammies tied in tandem.

Both work and hold fish well.

Cheers,
Nog

PS: BadDog - tried you on the radio today, guess you were already off the water?

heading out to bamfield on the 18th of july. anyone know if the sox will still be kickin around then? or will the run have passed through?

July is usually THE month for sockeye here. they will indeed be about! With the numbers we are seeing this early, i suspect the run will be MUCH larger than originally predicted. Good for the fish, Great for the Fishermen!

Cheers,
Matt

From Bob Cole June 23 2011

Attached information regarding the Sockeye counts for your info.
There will be a 8 boat seine fishery inside Pocahontas Point all the way up
to the harbour starting Sunday at 10 a.m. and running through Tuesday 10
a.m. or when their catch target is reached, whichever comes first.
Be aware that if the seine fleet doesn't catch their allocation on Sunday,
they will be fishing from first light on Monday.
Avoid conflict. The sooner they catch their weekly allocation, the sooner
they leave for the week.
There will be no gill-net fishery this week as the commercial fleet will be
close to their allocation on the present run size forecast.
Next Thursday the run size estimate looks like it will go up substantially
and expect increased commercial activity in the following weeks.

I have to say so far this year fishing has been overall amazing, for Chinook and sockeye and even tons of coho around...think we are in for a banner year guys! Never seen a June this good of fishing! How about other places around the coast? Seeing same thing?

Pile of fish again today, bite went on pretty much all morning. We were cleaning and filleting 20 fish while trolling back to town today and still catching/losing/releasing them. Strong fish, had a few pulling 100 - 200 feet of line which for sockeye is amazing. I have no idea how many fish we lost, but it was probably 3:1 ratio fish lost to landed because the fish fight so hard. Get out there.

Lucky Tiger, you might want to change your handle.......we didn't get started until 6 yesterday, and had 12 onboard by just after 8. Roughly a 1:1 catch/release ratio :p Double headers, double netters, and only had one small tangle in two days. A bit slower today, we managed to get 4 in the boat before we had to pack up and head back, but we talked to a few who did quite well again today. The seiners did start precisely at 10 sharp, right beside us. Everyone including them were well mannered, many sporties were following the nets around, and waiting right beside the seiner to watch the catch come in. The first two we watched right outside china creek only had a small set of a few hundred??? Great time, great weather can't wait for July's run.

Good weekend for us... we got our 8 each morning... 8 for 16 the first day in about 90 mins, then 8 for 20 today. Lots of fish out there.

Wish we had more people on the boat.... could of had way more... haha.

BT

Hey guys,

my wife works with a guy that claims people are catching the sockeye from shore around Port Alberni. Any truth to the rumour? Is there anywhere accessible to even fish from shore that isn't a dock belonging to a private residence or campground? I have nine days off starting friday and she wants to make a day trip from CR. I'm thinking the boat's a way better bet. Is there any launches outside of PA short of driving to Poets or Bamfield? Have only fished by Bamfield once so any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I would take the boat for sure. You can launch at China Creek but I usually launch in town at Clutesi (SP?) It's well organized especially for the number of people that use it and it's only a 20 minute run by boat to China Creek. My two cents........

Hey Bassblaster - My family and I chase the sockeye in the Alberni Inlet and we live in Courtenay. We take the truck and trailer the boat to China Creek on the first morning and get a berth for a few nights. We travel with our small car the other days. We have to leave Courtenay at 3:30am to get to China Creek in time to catch the bite and still have time to catch our fish. Last week we did it four times and got our 24 fish between the 3 of us. It makes for a long day but we all enjoy it.

Thanks for the advice guys. Its looking like it'll be the boat and China creek then. Thanks again.

You might want to give China Creek a call first. I called a couple days ago and was told that no moorage was available. And unless somethings changed, they don't allow day launching due to the restricted room for parking.
Best to check anyway. Number is 250-723-9812

Back