2011 Sockeye Run Port Alberni

If China Creek is a no go, anyone have any other convenient launch locations? If I were to launch right at PA, how far up the channel do you need to go before you are consistently into fish?

looks like we'll be slumin' it at the log booms Thursday night...taking my dad and my 3 year old son for some sockeye excitement.

We'll be there Friday until whenever. The booms might be where the best party is.
Dave

We tie up to the booms a couple of times a year and kinda like it. Take a few spikes or eye bolts with you because it can make your life easier sometimes. Besides.....it's kinda nice to cast off your lines and drop the gear ! Here's a shot at Underwood last summer tied up and my then 3 year old enjoying a movie before bed and of course a killer sunset! Have fun!

Attachments

• underwood.jpg
    underwood.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Cara.jpg
    Cara.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 107
  • sunset.jpg
    sunset.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 93
I-phone or not RS, they,re still great shots and good memories.

Yes Bassblaster....ALWAYS good memories when family and fishing is involved. And thanks Holmes for letting it go this time......lol I'll pack the IMAX camera next time for sure! :D:p

You could also tie up to the dock past hocking pt in hook bay.

I'm guessing that you'd better get there really early if you want to use the float this weekend, especially if you like to tie up on the inside. It's a popular spot.
Dave

See you all out there on Sat to hammer a few.. first sox trip of the year ..cant wait!

Never fished for Sox before. Any particular tide conditions that are best? From the posts on both Alberni threads it sounds like they are pretty cooperative biters. Any pointers on lures or just go with the regular performers on here?

Dummy flasher down to the ball, green or red hotspot flasher 10 ft up 20-24in leader to a small pink squirt hoochie with a 4/0 or 5/0 hook. Fish between 30/60 ft. (unless your reading them at a different level)

Some people do a tandem hook, others like the singles. I say, run both.

Never fished for Sox before. Any particular tide conditions that are best? From the posts on both Alberni threads it sounds like they are pretty cooperative biters. Any pointers on lures or just go with the regular performers on here?

I use 4 rods stacked 12 to 15 feet apart, no dummy flashers. Gone fishing in port will tell you what is working best. I won't be fishing until saturday over there. Normally little pink squirts, mp2 mp15 and pink and blue and pink and black are all good performers. If you see me over there say hi. We are the only boat with all women or occasionally a token male onboard.

just talked to a friend who fished last night and this morning around Hook...got skunked and didn't see anyone catch any fish. I'm leaving at 3:00 to give it a whirl...hope he is wrong! (it's not unusual for him to get skunked, but he said nobody was catching any...that being said he also mentioned people were cleaning fish at China Creek, so they're being caught somewhere)

DOF,

Looking forward to hearing your report....we are heading over(leaving at 3 am as well ) for the day on Sunday. I am going to bring my bagpipes...and play them if/when we limit out! So if you hear any strange noises on Sunday...... :)

DOF,

Looking forward to hearing your report....we are heading over(leaving at 3 am as well ) for the day on Sunday. I am going to bring my bagpipes...and play them if/when we limit out! So if you hear any strange noises on Sunday...... :)

won't be able to post a report until Sunday. My 3:00 departure is this afternoon...not a.m. Fishing tonight and tomorrow morning.

just talked to a friend who fished last night and this morning around Hook...got skunked and didn't see anyone catch any fish. I'm leaving at 3:00 to give it a whirl...hope he is wrong! (it's not unusual for him to get skunked, but he said nobody was catching any...that being said he also mentioned people were cleaning fish at China Creek, so they're being caught somewhere)

just got a text from my buddy...seems he's found a school and is now nailing them. Near China Creek.

Back