2011 Sockeye Run Port Alberni

Sorry, my kid was playing on my computer. He was a little pissed I removed his and his brothers internet access. He posted a little bit of nonsense here to **** me off.

Hope the Sockeye return in good numbers this year, Pt Alberni could sure use the boost.

Last edited by a moderator:
just talked to a friend who fished last night and this morning around Hook...got skunked and didn't see anyone catch any fish. I'm leaving at 3:00 to give it a whirl...hope he is wrong! (it's not unusual for him to get skunked, but he said nobody was catching any...that being said he also mentioned people were cleaning fish at China Creek, so they're being caught somewhere)

My three buddies were fishing Hook last night and this morning and came home with 23. Let some really small ones go and then couldn't get their 24th.
Dave

On the water by 6 today, limited out at china creek just after 7am. Not a bad morning. We went 8/9 in the boat/hooked ratio too. We werent in with the pack, but more out in the middle. Lots of full tubs at the dock too.

Cheers All,

Had a charter in Port yesterday for sockeye...full limits ... and big ones! :) All down 40-50' off China Creek...you can't miss where they are...look for the flotilla! :)

We started at dunsmuir across from china creek, trolled up towards the narrows.Went 12 for 27,just couldnt keep them on. 45 feet with a mp15 was working the best for us

This morning was good for us, got our limit of 12 by about 730... I think we went about 12/20. We worked the booms past dunsmuir and up to the slide before the narrows... in close to shore worked well for us!

45-55 ft was the ticket.

Had a buddy working up at Hook, and he said it was slower for him up there, then they hit the narrows and lit it up.

On a side note, went out last night for a mess around cruise, 6-9 pm, 14 fish in the boat.

The wife and I went up last night. Limited out at Macktush in a couple of hours then did the same thing this morning.
Dave

How's the fishing for sock's during the day. Is it a early morning bite only. Thanks

it is primarily an early morning bite, best time is first light to about 6 or 7 am.

One can pick up fish later on in the morning, and then in the evening... but for the most part, the best bite is first thing in am.

How's the fishing for sock's during the day. Is it a early morning bite only. Thanks

The fishing was pretty consistent yesterday morning and then at about 7 AM things went totally nuts. Three of our four rods started to bounce and every boat around us had the crews jumping because the fish were hitting everything. I don't know what time the bite lasted until because we boated the fish we had on and were out of there. It was a good morning. I still prefer the evening bite though. Fewer boats and just as many fish. I'll be back up there within a day or two.
Dave

Pretty good weekend of fishing, friday we caught our 12 and saturday we caught our 16.Here is a couple of pics of the structure scan in action. The first pic shows two schools of the right side of the boat and the second pic shows a big school just off to the left and a few on the right side.The pics are a bit blurry cause I couldnt hod the camera steady.As soon as we found a school we would troll over to them and like clockwork the rods on that side would go off.You can even target the schools of bigger fish because you can see the size difference of fish on the screen
004.jpg

IMG_9631-1.jpg

from what I understand there is a seine opening for two days and then the gillnetters go in untill friday sometime.Don't think I'll be going next weekend

What a great morning! 15 for oh I don't know, about 25 or 30 or so (honestly lost count). First 12 in short order the last few were a bit harder to get in the tub. Stopped holding out for the last one of the limit around 10:30. What a blast these fish are, total pandemonium trying to get the bloody hook out of the net to get the next fish in the boat with double and triple headers,,, utter chaos and fun, blood everywhere, right on now we are having fun! I hope that there is some left for next weekend after all of the Commercials are done sweeping them up.

Hey Albernifisher, I too took a few snaps of the HDS Structure Scan in action. Pretty cool toy eh! Find em, mark em, plot em, swing her around and go through them and catch them. Worked just like I thought it would. Love it!

And 15 of them that made it in the tub!

If the commercial fishery opens this week is it worth heading out for a day, or would it be a total waste of time and effort?

If the commercial fishery opens this week is it worth heading out for a day, or would it be a total waste of time and effort?

That really is a tough call. The sienes take the top 100 feet or there abouts.. BUT who knows what fish are heading in behind them.

Read this from Bob Cole

Hello Bill,
The problem with the Dalai Lama’s statement is that it doesn’t hold true when the dialogue is just words.
A reliable source of mine told me Thursday, before our meeting, that they were to meet a particular seine boat anchored at China Creek Sunday evening if they wanted some Sockeye.
Obviously, as last week, the fishing times and locations had been pre-determined and our meetings are basically window dressing.
The same thing happened the week before where a notice of time and boundaries was issued by DFO before our meeting that was to discuss and define such times and boundaries.
Secondly, at this point last year there weren’t more than ten seine boats fishing and they were restricted to certain areas that allowed a reasonable area for the sport fleet to operate in. The seiners still caught their allocation over the season and a reasonable recreational fishery co-existed. It is obvious that the intention is to decimate the rec effort and the local economy.
When we asked for some consideration last week, we were told they would be in and out, no problem. When we asked for such an area and a Monday start because of the long weekend, we were ignored and were told by someone on the phone from one of the many processors that have somehow joined our committee (maybe we should have all the motels, hotels, restaurants and tackle shops in town join the conversation) that “we don’t recognize American holidays”. Well Sunday is still part of our long weekend and the 800 recreational boats fishing in the inlet and many of the hundreds fishing Barkley Sound are still likely to be fishing or travelling through on Sunday afternoon and even Monday morning. Compromise is a two way street and we are seeing only one direction from the seine sector.
To top this lunacy off, Diana Dobson’s and your option 1 and 3 don’t make basic arithmetic sense. To “catch up” and allocate more fish than are in the inlet and Barkley Sound according to your own test boat, even if you include ten to fifteen thousand recruitment a day, plans to take all of the fish. Do the math! That leaves few for escapement, few for First Nations and basically none for the sport fleet.
Undoubtedly, the local economy and the real taxpayers don’t factor into the process at all.
Therefore, and after discussion with my colleagues, I will not be participating any further in this sham process regarding Sockeye.
Best of luck,
Bob Cole

Subject: Re: Area 23 Salmon Harvest Committee meeting agenda - June 30, 2011

After reading this email I notice the saying at the end by the dalai lama. It is quite appropriate given todays discussion. The reason for having a roundtable process. Have a good weekend.
Bill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thu Jun 30 14:05:15 2011
Subject: RE: Area 23 Salmon Harvest Committee meeting agenda - June 30, 2011

<<June29_Assessment_summary.pdf>>
Hi Folks,
Here you go.
Run size is upgraded to 1,050,000.

Diana Dobson
Fisheries and Oceans Canada / Pêches et Océans Canada
South Coast Stock Assessment
3225 Stephenson Pt. Road, Nanaimo, BC V9T 5K1
tel/tél: 250-756-7186 FAX: 250-756-7162
CELL: 250-714-4713
e-mail address/courriel: diana.dobson@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
The reality today is that we are all interdependent and have to co-exist on this small planet. Therefore, the only sensible and intelligent way of resolving differences and clashes of interests, whether between individuals or nations, is through dialogue.
- The Dalai Lama

The combined quota for the seiners and gillnetters is 165,000, more then their own test boats have predicted are in the inlet right now

Did any of you guys fish during last years gillnet openings and about how many boats did the sports fisherman have to contend with?
Dave

I fished during the sein openings last year and it was no prob getting limits. Don't recall any gillnetters, but don't they fish farther up the inlet?

Back