1981 Double Eagle gets a second chance

I spray the Upol Raptor Liner in the bed of my truck. Very happy with the results and durability. It can also be tinted to suit your needs. The kit that I ordered online came with a spray gun and cost aprox $100 US.

Engine mounts out. I see there is going to be a lot of grinding and sanding in my future. Haha

Attachments

• D7648CD9-7039-498C-B868-08045D73B87B.jpeg
    D7648CD9-7039-498C-B868-08045D73B87B.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 210
  • 8850C909-8B09-4C84-B16C-2855F028D414.jpeg
    8850C909-8B09-4C84-B16C-2855F028D414.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 200
Well I took them out. I will use them as a template for the new ones. Saved a lot of good fibreglass and the new ones will drop right in.

Attachments

• A74E7F28-13D3-42EA-BEE8-1D9D695473BC.jpeg
    A74E7F28-13D3-42EA-BEE8-1D9D695473BC.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 260
  • D5D7C0DF-1561-4F42-A244-3483043AFC2D.jpeg
    D5D7C0DF-1561-4F42-A244-3483043AFC2D.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 246
  • 04E70E05-30FF-45E6-B975-2CB42C5C7CFB.jpeg
    04E70E05-30FF-45E6-B975-2CB42C5C7CFB.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 263
Nice work Dan. I know nothing about rebuilding a boat properly, but when it comes to the stringers don't you want the fiberglass and resin to be bonded to the wood? Just asking cause I'm interested in learning from all of these awesome build threads.

There does not need to be a bond. The stringer is a tight fit and is incased in the glass so it can not move. The most important thing to do is make sure there is no chance of water getting in. I will also apply resin to the 2x10s before they go in. Once in I will wrap two layers of 1708 over them and down the sides. I also have to cut the bottoms to match the angle of the hull.

Wouldn't you want it bonded to avoid moisture getting into the wood? Seems like a great void for condensation to build up. At a minimum give the stringer a coat let it dry and then fill the void a bit before you drop it in. Couldn't even fathom doing all this work and not doing that simple step.
There does not need to be a bond. The stringer is a tight fit and is incased in the glass so it can not move. The most important thing to do is make sure there is no chance of water getting in. I will also apply resin to the 2x10s before they go in. Once in I will wrap two layers of 1708 over them and down the sides. I also have to cut the bottoms to match the angle of the hull.

I am not sure what void your talking about. The stringer is cut to fit tight against the glass on the sides and cut to the same angle as the hull of the boat. Other than a little thickened resin that goes on the bottom it does not require anything else. If you read back I had already said I was going to coat the stringers before they go in even though they don’t need it its just a bit of over kill that I am happy to do. The Stringer I removed had been in there 39 years and it was dry as the day it went in except for the piece that someone cut into the glass near the transom. When the stinger is incased in glass properly it will never see any moisture. I also check them with a moisture meter before they go in to make sure the do not sweat.

Sounds like you've got it under control. looking forward to seeing the progress.

I am not sure what void your talking about. The stringer is cut to fit tight against the glass on the sides and cut to the same angle as the hull of the boat. Other than a little thickened resin that goes on the bottom it does not require anything else. If you read back I had already said I was going to coat the stringers before they go in even though they don’t need it its just a bit of over kill that I am happy to do. The Stringer I removed had been in there 39 years and it was dry as the day it went in except for the piece that someone cut into the glass near the transom. When the stinger is incased in glass properly it will never see any moisture. I also check them with a moisture meter before they go in to make sure the do not sweat.

There is always Void Ho

Th
Yeah you are making it look easy!
Thank you. But its far from easy. Proper tools are a big help. I fought for over two hours to get the first stringer out with out damaging the fibreglass the second took about an hour. Also cutting the hull angle on the new stringer was no easy task. I love the challenge.

I been using the Fein Bi Metal blades medium tooth one
Works well
The fine tooth ones was taking too long to cut

I been using the Fein Bi Metal blades medium tooth one
Works well
The fine tooth ones was taking too long to cut
I also use titanium coated bi-metal blades. They seem to hold up well. I love having the dremel ultra saw. It cuts fibreglass like butter

Finished cutting the stringers tonight. They will not be going in for a while but wanted to get them cut and ready. Fist 80 inches is a 20 degree angle then another 60 inches at 30 to 35 then increasing from there ending at about 58 degrees. And fine tuning will be done with a wood rasp and sanding. I will have some more pictures coming Sunday.

Finished cutting the stringers tonight. They will not be going in for a while but wanted to get them cut and ready. Fist 80 inches is a 20 degree angle then another 60 inches at 30 to 35 then increasing from there ending at about 58 degrees. And fine tuning will be done with a wood rasp and sanding. I will have some more pictures coming Sunday.

Nice ! looking forward to the pics

Just speculation here but I would assume you sit the cut stringer alongside the cut out where it’s going to sit in in order to get your angles just right ?
I find these threads so interesting as one day I’m going to tackle a rebuild, just cause.

Back