rivers inlet

I want to make the run from port hardy to rivers inlet this year. Just wondering if there is any other boat that wants to go also. Thinking mid july ish

I could be? Planned to do Bamfield again, August 1-15. What's the details on the trip? I need off boat sleeping. Seasport 2400 only has 130 gallons of gas.

I may be interested. It's been on my bucket list for awhile...

That would be a pretty sweet trip , bucket list also .

Funny, I didn't see you guys on my bucket list but Rivers Inlet is? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your bucket list RM?

My Bucket List includes Rivers Inlet and Nootka for sure. I've been to Port Hardy twice and loved it, and now I have a big enough boat to go accross to Rivers.

Awesome! I love to hear from your experience about your fishing trip. I hope you will share with us:)

Duncanby is the closest fuel stop on your way up. It is just inside Rivers. The only other spot would be Dawson's Landing, up Rivers a few more miles on the port side of the Inlet.

Depending on your running speed and weather anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours to get to Duncanby.

That's not too bad. I thought it might be a bit longer. I don't have any issues with fuel but would have to see if Dawsons has diesel. seems to me I checked once and I think they might. I could also pack some fuel for someone else if they needed to bring some extra fuel. it'll be awhile though if I am to commit. have to check it all out with the guys I go with, work scheduling, etc but i'll bring it up and give it some serious thought. have some work to get done to my boat but it should be ready for sure once summer hits. it'll be nootka/esperanza for sure this year, but may be interesting to go to rivers inlet, then on return, leave the boat in gold river for another trip in aug and maybe another in sept...

Sounds like you guys will be running a lot faster than me. if its a good day I would be able to do 20 mph but i,m thinking if I am making 15 I will be happy.

Man this thread just made me learn something....... I have practically been there :) Maybe..... I may be wrong, but not often LOL...... Just patted my self on the back :) It's ok that feeling of nausea will pass

I have often found myself on a journey that takes about an hour or so from Hardy to Bremner which is about 27 miles. One day fishing was dead and we headed north to Iron, Denny and Egg which was only another 6-7 miles away.

Is that not the entrance to Rivers Inlet? If so I did in in my 16ft boat. Not recommending this travel for anyone. I just happen to do things others shouldn't.

Wish I had know fuel was near by, we barley made it back to Hardy. Our trip was actually cut short do to our paranoia of not having enough fuel, or was that a shortage or beer. Either way my fuel tank is only 80L/20gal and when we fuelled up we were down 78L.

We got fish there anyway, not sure we even broke 30. Id go again if weather was good and others were going.

Was I there? Or am I looking at a map wrong

My timing was based on about 24 knots in decent weather.

I'm pretty sure Dawson's has diesel, they have in the past.

Just my two cents, if your planning this trip, which I have done many times. Make you have double of everything that will keep your boat running. No marine shops up there. You can fly stuff in to fix but you loose all your fishing time. Which is why your making the trip.

Example, ran up there a few years ago, few new guys in the group. This guy had a beauty SeaSport, dialled right in to kill fish. We get about 8 miles from Duncanby and he throws the engine belt on his inboard. Think he had a spare belt? Everything on his boat ran off the engine. He spent three days putting around on his kicker

how far is the run? what's the closest fuel dock from hardy on the other side?

I believe the run is about 3.5 hours(I haven't done the trip that's what I have heard well I was guiding up there) and the closest fuel dock would be at ducanby lodge. There's also fuel, liqour, ad food up at Dawson's landing.

I would have been 15 miles from Duncanby Lodge. Do you fish open waters or up the inlet further? I know there lots of restrictions up there. Left with a case of herring Id figure it out :)

On a good day Id be at Duncanby Lodge from Hardy in 1.75-2 hrs like BC said.

Hardy to Duncanby lodge is about 3 hours in good weather.
Last trip was 4 hours in nasty weather.
Go early on a flooding tide.
Check west sea otter before you go.
You want 3 feet or less and light winds.
Stay 2 to 3 miles off of Cape Caution.
You will have about an hour in the wide open.
Once you are into Rivers Inlet fishing is quite sheltered.
Restrictions are only at the very head of the inlet where he big ones stage.

it is bout 65 miles to duncanby lodge. depending on your speed and weather...well you can figure it out. I think it is going to take me 3 1/2 hours on a good day.

it is bout 65 miles to duncanby lodge. depending on your speed and weather...well you can figure it out. I think it is going to take me 3 1/2 hours on a good day.

thank you - times don't really tell much. Could be going 30mph could be going 10mph depending on weather. 65 miles isn't that big deal. Its the 8 hour drive to hardy that's the killer.

Back