Kyuquot

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Back from kyuquot. Fishing was epic, weather best in 8 years I've been going! We arrived at fair harbour Sunday at 1:30 light rain on the way in keeping the dust down boat was totally clean except for a little mud on the bow. Hit spring island after dropping our gear at the inn. Went 4 for 9 on springs in 3 hours! Next day back to spring island went 2 for 4 with one hog breaking off right at the boat! Decided to try the reef for anything. Not a sniff. So out to the hiway. Trolled for about 2 miles. Picked up a nice hatchery coho and a pink, kinda slow, so packed it in early to enjoy the sunshine at the dock. Second day was halli day! Ahchoured up on our spot, not a boat in sight! 12 minutes in bam, first halli on! He wraps up in our chum bag and 15lbs down rigger ball! Gong show lol. Get him in the boat, bam other rod goes off! Get halli 2 in the boat! Took longer to anchor than to get our 2 butts lol! Decide to go to the t because we have so much time left in the day. Drop one line with the skinny g no bananas (which caught most of the fish) to 170 and a white and green skinny g to 57. 15mins in bam rod goes off! Huge slab in the boat! Back down to 170, 5mins bam! Slab in the boat! We're done for springs! Went and played around and caught the biggest sea bass I've ever seen! Thought I had a big ling on! Released it only for a huge sea lion to grab it right beside the boat. Happy with our haul pack it in early again for beers and sun on the dock. Head in to fair harbour and while dropping off my coolers at the top of the ramp here a huge crash! Look over at the ramp to see a boat launched a little early,like 20 feet before the water! Wtf! Spend 2 hours helping them get the boat in the water. Ended up using the trailer and logs and 2x6 to push it into the water! Wow

Just back from an annual trip to Kyuquot. And it was definitely a mixed bag. Day 1 was one of those days that you only get a few of each year. Flat calm water and good fishing. Got our limit in a few hours and called it a day. All fish were 16-24. Anchovy and hootchie doing the damage. Nearly got spooled from what I thought was a big spring, to a halibut, to kelp, and finally to a Grady White. Guess my fish hit, took off, wrapped itself up in another boat's gear and was gone. It didn't even cross my mind that his was possible as it was the rod on the opposite side from where we passed the oncoming boat, and we weren't even near this guy on a straight tack. Just happy I got all my **** back and the guide boat who I got wrapped with was just as suprised as me.
Day 2 was a different story as we had gale winds but were able to sneak out for a few hours at a time and picked up 3 that day. We released a handful of other fish. Capped it off with a 21 doing flips and jumps right infront of another boat and just didn't want to come near the boat. Stubborn thing.
Day 3 we got our last fish on our first tack off Spring Isl and then were tapped out for salmon. We were being a little choosy with what we kept. Most fish took the green/blue hootchie, then we fished a white turd on the other side and I just couldn't get a nip on my side after day 1. Stomachs filled with smaller 2" fish and sandlance. Thought the skinny G's would work that did so well in WH - no, AP sandlance spoon - no, other small gear - no. Went through a bunch of gear trying to find something to turn these guys on. The water was filled with salad so bait was outta the question as we're cleaning lines every 5-10min.
After we got our limit, we went after Hali's but couldn't go offshore with the water conditions and being in a 18.5 DE, it wasn't an option. So we poked around some different spots inshore but got nothing. Sounds like the bottomfishing has been hit pretty hard in close. We shoulda ran offshore on Day 1 in hindsight.
Day 4 we loaded up and made our way back home, stopping in at a couple beaches and doing some exploring.

Salmon fishing was good as it usually is. Nice fresh fish in shallow water, can't beat it. All fish hit hard and ran hard and stayed down. Just awesome. We noticed Kyuquot was like a ghost town. Not many people around as it sounds like a lot of the American's are staying home as they're getting fish off their coast. Stayed at the Kyuquot Inn which worked out great and good people there. The road in was good and even better coming out. They're doing lots hauling so it's being maintained well at least. Good trip overall.

IMG_4313.JPG

IMG_4317.JPG

IMG_4327.JPG

Nice report and pics N2013.

I'm sure most guys know, but as of July 15 the area in yellow on the attached map has a fin fish
closure...which includes halibut.

upload_2017-7-25_10-7-44.png

I'm sure most guys know, but as of July 15 the area in yellow on the attached map has a fin fish
closure...which includes halibut.

View attachment 34506
We're heading to Murphy's in the third week of August....wonder what the closure means for us? I've never fished in that area before so I don't really know how much it's going to effect us? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

We're heading to Murphy's in the third week of August....wonder what the closure means for us? I've never fished in that area before so I don't really know how much it's going to effect us? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

You guys will be fine. Will probably be offshore anyways slayin'em. Or else just off Spring Isl if it's snotty out. The closure is pretty easy to find using a GPS and map.

You guys will be fine. Will probably be offshore anyways slayin'em. Or else just off Spring Isl if it's snotty out. The closure is pretty easy to find using a GPS and map.

That's great news! Thanks for the quick reply; I'll definitely post and let everyone know how it went when we get back.

Was up there 16 years ago before any closures & we never fished the area's in yellow - we fished Spring Island & out on the highway (50 fathom line)

Just wanted to post about our trip to Murphy's Lodge as promised. Drove in on Aug 17, the road was so dry we had to pull over and stop three or four times to let the dust settle before we could safely drive on, really bad. The road was in good condition other than the dust though. The fishing was great, although no big springs were had over the four days we were there. The biggest was 22lbs but there were many in the 18-21lb range. We did well on Ling Cod and got both our over and under Hali's too. The biggest Hali brought in was around 55lbs but one of the guys released one the guide estimated at around 120lbs. Ended up coming home with nearly our full possession limit for the trip and a good time was had by all. Picture attached is after our Friday fishing trip: out at 6am with Henry Sr. and back on the dock by 2pm after limiting out.

Attachments

• 20170818_142509.jpg
    20170818_142509.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 91
Who did you get to fish with throughout your trip? Henry Sr, is a good guy, funny too! and a great fishermen! I worked up at the lodge a couple summers ago, and I think most of the guides are still there from when I was there besides a couple new ones.

Who did you get to fish with throughout your trip? Henry Sr, is a good guy, funny too! and a great fishermen! I worked up at the lodge a couple summers ago, and I think most of the guides are still there from when I was there besides a couple new ones.
There is no doubt that Henry Sr. is both a great guy and a good fisherman. We also fished with Shaun on our last morning, who put us on 2 - 20lb springs in less than an hour. It was definitely a good time and we are just trying to arrange our return trip for next year.

Back