Heads up, Scotty rod holder post.

Chuck

Heads up to those that use the Scotty rod holders that have the gear post. Broke two in one day. Lost a very expensive (Abel) reel when the post snapped and launched the rod and reel into the water, dragged for 3 hours but couldn’t pick it up. Then buddy was putting down the DR and was loosely holding rod holder and second one cracked in his hand but he was able to save it. First one broke right at the bottom flange. That’s the second one that broke in that manner. Must have thrown it into the ocean in my angst. See pic of cracked post.
Contacted Scotty and there was no way they were going to help me out with the replacement of the rod and very expensive reel but did replace my rod holders and some other graft. Would have much rather had my rod and reel that was lost. Hopefully guys will change their old posts out. Scotty suggested these posts should be replaced every two years.
That’s not going to happen again sp I have rigged up a couple rod leashes that can be quickly removed from rod once out of the holder.

Pics won’t download from iPhone. If you want to see them pm me and I will send.

Last edited:
Seen it happen. Lucky to not have lost anything.

I find if you position them so the are angled directly back, the torque is in line with where there is the most strength.

The problem i have found is when the rod holder is angled out wards and torque is pulling the rod holder sideways. The base below the “gears” absorbs all the torque across where it is narrow.

Hope this makes sense.

"Scotty Stricker RH have a steel rod moulded within the post. Much stronger!!"
Yup,that's why most people use strykers,especially for halibut.

I too have had the standard Scotty rod holder posts break in the past and moved on to the 'Striker' model because of the stronger metal insert. I also had fabricated aluminium supports for the rod holder bases because (after breakages) I could not stand the creaking and groaning of the plastic/nylon versions when trolling in heavy current threatening imminent breakage.

stick with the old tube design on the dual rod holders
as people lean on them and there stressed constantly ...see pic above
no no for halibut fishing as already stated .....
other thing with the above type. people have them set almost parallel to the water
so the tips are almost in the chuck easier to pull out but also for mister tyee as well...
when he storms off. or your fishing in a roll????

stick with the old tube design on the dual rod holders
as people lean on them and there stressed constantly ...see pic above
no no for halibut fishing as already stated .....
other thing with the above type. people have them set almost parallel to the water
so the tips are almost in the chuck easier to pull out but also for mister tyee as well...
when he storms off. or your fishing in a roll????

I set them straight back and titled only slightly back. No problems.

I Agree with the issues posted above.

Not sure if you can still get FISH ON rod holders but they are/were far more superior/stronger to the scotty rod holders.

Scotty still has the best DR package tho hands down.

"Scotty Stricker RH have a steel rod moulded within the post. Much stronger!!"
Yup,that's why most people use strykers,especially for halibut.

I use the Folbe holders for Halis. Way tougher in my opinion, and the removal of the rod from the holder is hands down the best. Took the Folbe holders from my sled when I used to fish the Fraser for Sturgeon.

I too have had the standard Scotty rod holder posts break in the past and moved on to the 'Striker' model because of the stronger metal insert. I also had fabricated aluminium supports for the rod holder bases because (after breakages) I could not stand the creaking and groaning of the plastic/nylon versions when trolling in heavy current threatening imminent breakage.

I built leashes that attach directly to the reel, not going to loose anymore of my expensive gear that I work hard for to an inferior product, not going to happen again!!

I’ve had quite a few break over the years and have had rods go over but luckily got everything back as I keep the line deep in the release clips. I’m always a little worried about one snapping. Scotty has always been great for warranties so I still run them but would like something stronger

Back