Winter Harbour 2010

Spring Fever will be off Kain island by 3 pm sat-will be fishing off-shore sun and mon-up the sound to the narrows mon evening ramp Cole harbour 0600 tues morning Green and white Orca monitoring ch 6 will report back on tues evening.

I was not slagging them, I simply asked if theY still use bags on the anchor line. I witnessed this on two occasions last year. Once at Solander Island and another time off of Lawn point. I know what I saw, it DOES happen. I am sure they are great folks to fish with and they certainly know the area, but the practice of chumming continues as of Aug 2009

I caught a nice hali inside Quatsino sound last summer with a bait bag inside it's stomach, I had to think this bait bag would have enventually killed the fish. I can't see how that plastic would have broken down inside it's stomach, I'd like to see a reg outlawing the bait bag, as other guys have already said on here they aren't necesary, either that or make it mandatory to use a bag that will break down in a fishes stomach.

Heading up to Quatsino in late July, never fished past cliffe point but the boat's bigger this year and the weather is gonna be great. Any info on fishing offshore from this spot and beyond for both salmon & bottom fish would be much appreciated

thanks

Head NW from Kains Island till you get near the RCA, then head west to the 50 fathom line. Fish around there for salmon and halis, but be carefull you don't stray into the RCA. Wish I was there now, but my trip for this week went down the toilet, oh well maybe later this month....BB

Holy Green Water Batman!!! The fish were where they were supposed to be but it was blowing 35 plus- took a limit of springs(3 guys) on sunday morning on the highway- anchovy/green head and a blood and bones hootchy/42 inch tie 160-180 feet of wire. Nothing over 20 but might have had a problem boating bigger anyway. Totally in awe of the anchored Hali guys-you are a much tougher breed than me. Monday the rollers were steeper and closer spaced -since i had had a very sick crewman the day before decided I would try Cliffe point-it was very slow-however managed a double header at the far southern end of cliffe point shore on anchovies at 70 and 90 ft. We did get a possesion limit -a couple at cliffe point and a couple behind Kain island. In general the coho are scarce-fishing is still slow behind Kain island and cliffe point-the fish are off-shore-better make sure you and your boat can handle the water and watch the following seas. Hope the wind drops soon.

Usually considered to start at 300 and out(5- 6 miles off ). Usually I fish at 160 and deeper-when I start I split -one at 120- one at 180 until I find fish then I go deeper or shallower depending what happens. There were also fish off of Lippy point at the 200 ft contour-fish 160 to start. If you are going to fish Lippy make sure to make a couple of passes close to the kelp in Grants bay just in case the fish are in. It can be spectacular and you have lost very little time if you have decided to try Lippy-just troll out chasing the bottom with one line and keep a higer line for coho-watch the pinnicles.

Baileybones, the last post by Springfever has some "Reel" good info, doesn't get much better then that. Be careful trolling along the south RCA boundry line,at lippy Point,don't let the wind, tide carry you over. The pinacles that he talks about, are great for bottom fish. Have a super trip.....BB

has anyone driven the road into winter harbour lately? going up in a couple days and was curious what kind of shape it is in. and are they logging on the road right now?

quote:Originally posted by jjmoffett

has anyone driven the road into winter harbour lately? going up in a couple days and was curious what kind of shape it is in. and are they logging on the road right now?

Was out there on Weds.

It is rough, dusty and brushed in, in a few places. There is a detour into WD Moores camp as they are replacing a bridge on the main, so you have to watch for lowbeds, logging trucks and pickup coming out of there.

Yes there is active hauling on the (south 700) from ~10 k to the turn off at 8 and from 18 k on the WH (South) main. Plus lots of local and tourist traffic between Holberg and Hardy.

Make sure you stop in at the WFO Holberg office to see what is going on and they will call on the radio for you to let all know that a truck (w/trailer) is headed out to WH.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Great advice ken. Any idea to what hours the logging trucks start and finish? Maybe an early run to WH, or a evening run might be a lot safer for all concerned? Sundays should be okay all day?...BB

Usually they are 6 to 6, mon to fri.

What you have to watch for after hours and on weekends is the mechanics, lowbeds (moving equipment) and consultants who work a 10 on 4 off shift.

Just remember that there is just not hauling on those roads, but lots of other industrial traffic as well.

And that is WFP office in Holberg....:)

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Any update on the fishing up there? I am headed up for a month next week and usually make a couple of trips from Telegraph Cove to Winter. I heard the fishing has been slow. Any updates would be great

just got back from a trip to w.h. 17-21. it was really slow. 5 springs , 5 coho which everybody was suprised at because i guess they have been really scarce so far. thank god for the bottom fish! kains was dead. lippy at 200' was the most productive for us. hooked quite a few fish there but had a ratio of 1 outta every five hooked actually made the boat!:( the wind was brutal! also on the trip out dodged truck after truck. we left winter harbour at 5am so fighting all the traffic on their way to work. 2 close calls! any ways good luck to all and hope the fishing picks up.

Could someone enlighten me as to where the ice is there.

Thanks Jody

[img=left]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userpics/12747/thumb_xDSC01379.JPG[/img=left]

Might be ugly to some, but not to us:) Here are a couple of pic's - 3 years ago and the day that we got possesion (Sept 2002). We like to think we improved it somewhat.;) Spent 18 months out of 30 away from home building it. Would of liked to have a nice cedar sided building, kind of west coast theme, but it was definitly not in the budget. A couple of things I have learned in the last 40 years - should never knock a man's wife, house, car, or boat - it maybe his pride and joy and all that he has.:D

Fishing is about what C.S. said, although there have been the odd 30+lb spring taken at the light. Nice to have sunshine, but could do without the gales that have been here since the beginning of July. Whitecapping in the harbour right now:(

Ice is on the back wharf, just ring the doorbell and someone will answer.

Regards,

Fishyboy

w092.jpg
[/img]
Scan_Pic0002.jpg
[/img]
Scan_Pic0001.jpg
[/img]

quote:Originally posted by fishyboy99

Might be ugly to some, but not to us:) Here are a couple of pic's - 3 years ago and the day that we got possesion (Sept 2002). We like to think we improved it somewhat.;) Spent 18 months out of 30 away from home building it. Would of liked to have a nice cedar sided building, kind of west coast theme, but it was definitly not in the budget. A couple of things I have learned in the last 40 years - should never knock a man's wife, house, car, or boat - it maybe his pride and joy and all that he has.:D

Fishing is about what C.S. said, although there have been the odd 30+lb spring taken at the light. Nice to have sunshine, but could do without the gales that have been here since the beginning of July. Whitecapping in the harbour right now:(

Ice is on the back wharf, just ring the doorbell and someone will answer.

Regards,

Fishyboy

w092.jpg
[/img]
Scan_Pic0002.jpg
[/img]
Scan_Pic0001.jpg
[/img]

If I remember rite,, thats the same place I'd back a truck and 48'fter down onto and get a load of shrimp to haul down to Westport Washington...I did that one year for some "Mad Money" when I was on my days off from my "real" job....man did that road in/out suck!

Back