Winter Harbour 2010

Heavyc, keep an eye our for Spring fever south bound today. Have a safe trip, and look forward to your report upon your return.....BB

Just got back from 5 days at Winter Harbour. Fishing for springs was real slow. Biggest was 17 lbs . We caught a bunch springs but they were all between 10-12 lbs. We tried many depths but only found fish at 200 feet deep. I assume they mature fish have all passed through.

Coho fishing was awesome We were out at the surf line at Lippy point. On Sat we caught and relesed in excess of 30 coho. Many were around 15 lbs with the largest being 18lbs. Kains Island was real slow. We fished there for about 2 hours each day and got zippo.I was real surprised at how quiet the docks were . We stayed at the Outpost and there was only 1 other boat tied up there. The resort has taken all their guide boats out of the water for the season, I guess the season is done up there.Good luck to anyone headed up that way, should still be some coho around

Got back from Quatsino last night from a strictly coho trip. Guess one could call it spotty to be fair but learned a lot. Talked to a local and cruised slowly down past the narrows(way too many boats to bother with) Saw the first jumpers slightly south of Quotsino- gear in the water (pink 3.5 coyote and red hot spot at 24 -30 ft)Wandered around among jumpers and put four in the boat. I had 2 friends from California with me who are experienced Marlin and tuna fishermen-never used a single action reel or fished salmon. They were like kids out of school-those coho put on quite a display. Wandered over to the south side of quotsino to the monkey creek area-very few jumpers but dredged up a hatchery and lost a couple to long distance releases. Down to Mahatta creek -few jumpers not much but got our limit for the day before I was reminded it's called the wet coast. Anchored at Mahatta and got a few early next morning. Poked around both shores back to quotsino village and had a limit. Not a lot of jumpers really and fishing was never fast but it was exciting.Weather turned nice-thought we would walk up to Rupert arm and just slay them catch and release-well that didn't happen- it was slow for us-yes we got a few-saw some jumpers-seemed to be fish on the sounder but they didn't seem to like the coyote. released 6 or 7 over a 24 hour period but it was slow. So what did I learn-you have to look for the fish at every creek and point-don't relie on one lure-it won't work all the time. Talked to a local ex commercial fisherman when I pulled out-he said (I haven't tried this-so for comments) army truck hootchie with a spin and glow in front -no flasher!!! if you use a flasher 60 inch tie. OK I know-I think that too but there was a guide out there who was out fishing me and I could see a hootchie with a long tie. Any other thoughts? By the way the guys had a super time and thought we had the most beautiful place on the planet-who could disagree but it ain't october yet!!!

Do you think there is still a big wave of coho to enter Quatsino ? We did well on the outside but fishing inside was real slow. Last year at this time you could not get two lines in the water. I was told a long time ago by a commercial customer to fish 60" plus leaders behind a flasher late in the year. Army truck outfished everything else we used by at least 2-1 on this trip Never tried it with out a flasher or behind a spin`n`glo . Cheers

Well, 2 good reports here, we will have to wait how heavyc does! Never fished army trucks with out a flasher, but have used large spin and glows with bait for halis, and wee ones in front of the blue and red hootchies for chums, w/flasher. Need to carry binos to see what that guide used[:I] Glad to hear that you both had a good trip......BB

Got a crew-my curiosity is aroused-going to try mon-wed same trip with all the suggested gear-spin and glo-et al- I don't for one second believe the no flasher for a hoochie but will give it an honest try. Bad trip if you don't learn something!!! I don't know if there is another wave to come in from outside-I know they are off-shore but are they destined for quotsino-perhaps Sitka spruce or one of the other local guys might hazard an opinion there.

Spring Fever

My guess...and it only a guess:)...they will be most likely be south bound fish. There will be Quatsino bound fish in the mix, but you will find most of these fish now following the shore (Lippy, Topknot areas)as they follow the "fresh water" scent of their home rivers. With the rain we have received and the rain all weekend we are supposed to get, the rivers should start to come up nicely and that should bring in more fish.

I am surprised by the lack of fish in Mahatta and Kaprino, as they usually are as busy with jumpers as Rupert Arm is. I have also fished there on the last weekend of Sept and Kaprino was jumping with fish as was most of the sound, so who knows what will happen.

I think we just need the rain and it will bring in more fish. Our rivers are still pretty low as we really have not received that much rain yet.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Just got back from Quatsino today, fished out of Coal Harbour for two days.
1st Day - No Coho milling at McAllister this trip, although we did hit into a couple of Big Lings in between McAllister and Van Isle. Hit some Coho at Mahatta mouth between the shallows and the rocks on the east side of the bay. No major concentration of them, but still some jumpers doing the sea lice jump.

2nd Day - Fished Rupert with limited success due to the algae bloom. Further story to follow (aka my tale of woe) in the Coal Harbour thread.

PS: To the ******* who poached my trap by the log salvage in Coal H, I hope you're happy eating that crab you **** ant. (see coal harbour thread, I will detail the trip there)

That's too bad about the trap poachers-seems to be happening more frequently as time goes by. Did you lose the trap as well? Looking forward to your Cole Harbour thread.

It the old time commercial crabbing guy there. he does it all the time and did it to friends last weekend.

No proof, just hearsay, but he has been seen a couple times pulling rec traps and taking the crab.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Just finished supper, and no, it wasn't crab. looked all over for a "Coal Harbour" report, no luck. Heavyc, don't keep us in suspense any longer please. Sorry to hear about your traps[V]....BB

Friend just got back from quotsino-apparently jumpers all over Rupert arm and in front of the marble-fished 11/2 days and had only hooked a Spring(LRR) and 1 coho around 8-10-tried everything including 60 inch ties and saw no other nets. I'm heading up for 3 days anybody got any tips to make these suckers bite. I may just head down to Lippy if it gets too difficult.

Typical Rupert Arm/Quatsino coho fishing;).

I think that as soon as the rains fall, they quite biting and just jump around to tease us.....

We have finally had some rain, so they should start heading in soon.....

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Fished Coal Harbour side of Quatsino Narrows yesterday. We got out there at noon, I like to fish the flood. You fish up to the heavy current and then turn away. We do a big race track circuit, on either the Coal Harbour side or the Rupert Inlet side. We got 6 good hits on our surface line but only landed 1. I am using a large cut plug herring. I had a bunch left over from bottom fishing and they have been quite successful over the last 10 days. The other fish have been on green teaser heads with real or rubber chovies at 24 feet. The water is clear on the flood and you can see it mix with the dirty water from Rupert Inlet. We got 3 all in all, one of them a hatchery.

DJ

Fished quatsino 13,14and 15th.Bypassed the Marble, saw jumpers off south quotsino and got one on a pink coyote at 24 ft. Moved on in rain and wind-saw very few jumpers-wrong tide for Broughton island-tried anyway-nada-some jumpers in the east side of Koprino and picked up one at 44 ft on a long tie (7ft) anchovy. The water was so dirty with weed and silt it was unfishable. Moved over to Mahatta and got one on the coyote at 44 ft. No real sign-lots of bait anchored for the night.Seaward tues in heavy SE swell up to lippy-saw a jumper fished deep with anchovy and looked for coho at shallower depths-nasty weather-not a touch decided to head back to Koprino--wx improved weed had cleared out and there was steady fishing-not spectacular but reasonable-we wound up with 9 coho and a very small chum-I've never seen one that small. Good crab-no poaching but the fish averaged a couple of pounds smaller than last week. Tried hootchies-long ties-with and without spin n glows in front-various spoons-etc, but the pink coyote and the anchovie took all the fish. Great last trip-Hoping for a nice early spring.

Back