Winter Harbour 2010

Hey Halilogger ,it was a blast and nice meeting you.
have to do it all over again next year...
as for the fishing, it was alot slower than the last few years (at this time), smaller hali's and lings, springs were the same, but what puzzled me was, where were the Coho?
last 3-4yrs you were cursing the Coho they were so thick offshore,
we caught/ released Coho till are arms were sore,cutpluging on flyrods @ lighthouse, not this year, not yet anyways.Lets hope they show,
Can't wait to get back up there, I just love that area!!!:D
Cheers, SpringFever552

Hi all,
I've been fishing WH for about 5 years now. Slowly learning the area. I was wondering if someone could give me an idea where to pick up a few crabs. I was thinking of bringing a pot or two if I could get an idea where to drop them. Thanks.

orthehill,
I'd like to help...but....most guys have found their "own" honey holes/area's through trial and error over the years, and then to post here for the "world" to see??? maybe its just me, but I'd hope they would like to keep some things quiet and to themselves...
sorry,just my 2 cents

Ya it was a good time Steve can't wait till next time.

Orthehill what I would do, there are lots of little bays check them out if there fairly shallow 30' to 120' and there are other pots down. It's probably a good spot and if not move to the next one. You'll go home with crab.[:p]

quote:Originally posted by orthehill

Hi all,
I've been fishing WH for about 5 years now. Slowly learning the area. I was wondering if someone could give me an idea where to pick up a few crabs. I was thinking of bringing a pot or two if I could get an idea where to drop them. Thanks.
If it were me and new to an area, I would go to Mapster: http://www.canbcdw.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/ows/imf.jsp?site=mapster

Then enter ‘Marine Resources - Local Knowledge’, West Coast Van. Isl. Fisheries Inventory, and check the boxes for WCVI Crab and WCVI Rec. Crab.

I have found this bit of information pretty accurate and would very much be looking in those area... if you do it right, it will look something like this: :D

imfows21661.jpg

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

Thanks guys that's helpful. I will bring a pot or two and give it a try.

Spring fever -green and white Orca will be on ch 6 from this wed until fri evening-probably off shore WH-anyone else going so we can cut down the area and get on the fish faster-they seem to have been scattered the last few weeks. By the way -good advice on the crab Charlie-maybe DFO knows something after all.

Quote: "Does anyone know if any coho have shown in Quatsino sound yet??"

Don't know about Quatsino but do know they got a 11pd off Maquinna Pt., Nootka Sound last week.

Yeah Buster Brown I just got back from a 5 day trip in Winter Harbour. There were 4 boats and 12 guys. Very few salmon, a couple springs and a couple cohos. Even the Qualicam rivers boys were saying the salmon was slow for them. Lots of halis and ground fish though. everyone got their limit of Halis from 30 lbs to 105 lbs. Good times and the beers were tasty.:D

Just returned from Wh 30-3 july Fishing was pretty slow July first-wx was decent and managed 6 spring to 24 lbs in a full days fishing slooow-next morning-2 floods later it was like the tap had turned on We were finished by 9 am and had a go at ground fish but got blown off. Details -highway was pretty dead although we didn't need to try there on the second . 160 to 180 feet of wire in 200 -220 feet of water off of Grants bay and back half way to the light house. In order of numbers of fish taken -Anchovie-green head 7' tie-4/0 cop car coyote/ silver horde. Purple haze Hootchie - blood and Bones hootchie-42" tie. Some coho to 7 lbs and a few pinks. Caught a coho off Cliffe Point but the water was unfishable due to south winds and kelp. All in all very a very dramatic change over a few short days. Good luck to all see you on channel 6 in a week.

Just returned from Wh 30-3 july Fishing was pretty slow July first-wx was decent and managed 6 spring to 24 lbs in a full days fishing slooow-next morning-2 floods later it was like the tap had turned on We were finished by 9 am and had a go at ground fish but got blown off. Details -highway was pretty dead although we didn't need to try there on the second . 160 to 180 feet of wire in 200 -220 feet of water off of Grants bay and back half way to the light house. In order of numbers of fish taken -Anchovie-green head 7' tie-4/0 cop car coyote/ silver horde. Purple haze Hootchie - blood and Bones hootchie-42" tie. Some coho to 7 lbs and a few pinks. Caught a coho off Cliffe Point but the water was unfishable due to south winds and kelp. All in all very a very dramatic change over a few short days. Good luck to all see you on channel 6 in a week.

hey guys, also just got back from WH. First time up there and fished with qualicum river resort. 4 days fishing, 2 gorgeous days on the water and 2 nasty ones. like everyone else said the salmon fishing was slow, managed a 25 and 23 lb spring and a couple little coho but it was slow!. the bottom fishing was unreal, our biggest was 90lbs smallest was 30, managed 43lb ling and a 16lb yelloweye. makes it pretty hard to fish the banks off of barkley sound, when your releasing 50pd halis. You hear how good the fishing is up there and until you actually go up there and see and do it.....its amazing! anyways cant wait till the next time up there......

cheers!

Do the Qualicum River boats put chum bags on their anchor lines? I have seen their boats do this in the past. I understand it is legal but the jury is still out on whether it is right

quote:Originally posted by spillytalker

hey guys, also just got back from WH. First time up there and fished with qualicum river resort. 4 days fishing, 2 gorgeous days on the water and 2 nasty ones. like everyone else said the salmon fishing was slow, managed a 25 and 23 lb spring and a couple little coho but it was slow!. the bottom fishing was unreal, our biggest was 90lbs smallest was 30, managed 43lb ling and a 16lb yelloweye. makes it pretty hard to fish the banks off of barkley sound, when your releasing 50pd halis. You hear how good the fishing is up there and until you actually go up there and see and do it.....its amazing! anyways cant wait till the next time up there......

cheers!
Once they cleanout the slow growing bottom fish their fishery will be quite ordinary. That's how it used to be in our area 20 yrs ago

Just to let you guys know, we haven't used bait bags for a couple of years. The new guides will try it, thinking that using a bait bag is answer to catching halibut on the anchor, but they find out quickly that it is not the case. Tides, currents, bottom structure, area, history, weather, and bait presentation are all very important. Understanding the currents on the bottom of the ocean is perhaps the most important part of anchoring. We put our time in every day (sometimes up to 14hrs) and fish from Cook Bank down to South Brooks. This is a very large area (over 700 sq miles), therefore learning the area and bottom structure can take years (still learning after all these years):).

Hope this clears things up. Using a bait bag is not illegal, but just a different way of attracting fish. There are many techniques to fishing halibut, this is just one of them. Another one that we use is that we don't use J-hooks fishing for halibut, as it is very hard to release a fish with a couple of J-hooks down it gullet:(. 16/0 to 20/0 circles are all that we use.

On Spillytalker's note, nice meeting you guys, very happy that you had a great time fishing with us, and hope to see you up here again. Salmon has definitly picked up since yesterday morning. Some big springs showed up out in the highway, down by Brooks, and a few in the 30's have been taken behind the light. Take care and enjoy the fish, you earned it:D

Regards,

Fishyboy
(Rob)

I guided for Qualicum for two seasons and never used a bait bag.Theres plenty of fish so its a waste of time.Its more important to be on the right spot.I also give them credit for using circle hooks so they can release halis if the guests request it. Most guides i know that work there will move if they are getting too many rockfish.

I know they just use salmon heads as well...which helps make it so very few rockfish get hooked...as there are **** loads of Yelloweye on many of the holes. They are great people...no need to slag on em at all in my opinion...plus Tofino fishing pressure compared to Winter Harbour fishing pressure can not be compared...at allll

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

Back