Winter Harbour 2010

Hey Spring fever, Im gonna be out hopefully off Kains on wednesday also. Was out yesterday, fished cliff, towards lawn, picked up only a couple coho, then went off kains and trolled out to about 220 feet, before turning back as the wind picked up. As many coho as a guy could ask for, but i only got into 4 springs, all in the 8 to 10 pound range.. still lots of action though.

I sit on channel 68. Handle's Yak, blue and white double eagle.

Cheers

Just got back tonight -lots of action although maybe not what you are looking for. Springs were very tough to get-specifically targeted springs-off-shore-got most of them off Lippy in 200 ft of water -180 ft of wire-tried the highway -again got 1 or 2 one was 33 the rest hi teens low 20's. Coho were everywhere and it was difficult to get an anchovie down or up without a coho take. Excitement pervaded as an 8-9 ft blue shark snapped the tail right off a 15lb coho and then won the dispute for the Whole fish partially on the pod (the one of ill repute on last weeks post). Harbour entrance was good but not for springs. Cliffe point was slow to dead and no boats fishing. Lots of coho up quotsino in the usual spots for this time of year. Had fantastic success with a 3.5 hot pink coyote spoon with a red hot spot flasher at 27 ft. That's it for me off-shore-been a great year and lots of adventures. One or two more coho trips to quotsino and I will try around Comox.

Enjoyed reading your post this year spring fever you helped me out big time, I had 2 great trips up there, and am looking forward to next year already. Thanks for the help![8D]
Might get up there 1 more time for some Coho mid Sept

Great report Spring Fever, sorry I missed you again. Saw about an 7' Blue shark on the dock next to ours last Tues at lunch time. Two guys trying to hold it up for photos. First time for me to see one. I think that the spring run is winding down at WH, any thoughts on this??...........BB

spring fever...I also enjoyed reading your reports..looking forward to reading many more,keep them coming..

Barnicle Bill..my 2cents, my experience from last 6yrs,I would rarely go off shore at this time of year any more(not because freezer has my supply of hali,lings,springs,coho) but most importantly springs would have slowed down for a while now, I'd be targeting those huge coho that are stacking up in the sound,some days its non stop catching,releasing big coho,light gear,oh man what fun,
should be heading up there on Thursday:D:D cant wait...

I have tried at WH many times in early Sept and for the most part the springs are over-sure you will get the odd one out on the hi-way or at cliffe but it will be very odd-the main concentration has either gone south or is up the inlet out of reach. Still will be coho off-shore until you start to see day after day of rain and then it will be all over-even up the inlet. Last year I fished Rupert arm on the 23-25 sept after 5 days of rain and it was definetly over-no fish jumping at Mahatta or Koprina either. So the rain is the key-if we have a dry Sept you may be able to fish coho into oct. By the way there is a great winter spring fishery from Jan to march just below the narrows to Alice arm if you feel so inclined

Was out there with Yak on Fri. It was slow for springs, although we managed to put a few in the boat. The coho were there, but not in any good concentration, offshore, Kains and Cliffe. Quite a few smaller springs around (4-10lbs range).

Inside, they are all over the place, in Rupert Arm they are getting coho to 14 lbs.

Time to fish the inside now, Mahatta, Kaprino and Rupert. Try fly fishing for them!!!

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Im heading to Mcallister islet Thursday/Friday next week to hit the coho with spincasting gear, any reports off cliff pt or the area? Size/schools?

It could be worse you could be on fire

fished the narrows with alot of other boats last three days Sept2-4, Thurs with our light gear(9wtfly rods) cut plugs and anchovies off the riggers, we C/R on Thurs,except for the crab for dinner Thurs evening, Friday morning back to mootching rods,only went off shore after hitting nothing at Kains(NO Coho or feeder springs), out to a few pinacles just south of Lippy,Coho on cut plug on the surface, find the bait and you'll find the springs,we were getting them at 64ft off shore,got blown off,came back and saw nothing at both Kaprino and Mahatta,fresh cod for supper,then fished the evening at the narrows again, got all our coho for the day, a few feeder springs at the narrows also that were gently released, back at the narrows on Sat a.m. for more coho,came home with a limit, plus 2 hatchery coho,

smaller fish on Sat maybe 8-10lbs,and much slower fishing on Saturday.

Thanks for the report-heading out tomorrow morning for a coho trip-will try Mahatta and Koprina and of course rupert arm Glad you had a good trip probably pretty crazy over the long weekend.

Sorry to bug you SF552 -were there no jumpers at Koprina or Mahatta or did you actually fish it and come up dry. Sorry to be obtuse but I am time limited on this trip and don't want to bypass the narrows if there is no use doing so.

Yesterday at the narrows, lots of boats. Nailed a nice spring in the narrows with the tide running, let it go unharmed (hopefully). Running green googly eyes at 24-30 feet with a chovie in a green head 10 ft abouve with good results. My 24 Trophy is usually out there this time of year. Come over and say hi. We will be off the Coal Harbour end of the Narrows or into Rupert Inlet.:)

DJ

spring fever, no worries...
Friday morning we cruised both Mahatta and Kaprino(did not stop to fish)looking for coho, saw nothing,no jumpers or on sounder, so decided to hit Kains, fished there for about 1.5hr hit nothing, no sign of coho, no other boats, so went off shore

on our way back in did the same(Mahatta/Kaprino) saw no sign, so headed back in to camp, then fished the narrows in evening...

If it were me going back up I'd would be going out there to check, the coho should be showing there any day/tide now...

cheers have fun and SAFE trip..

p.s. heard Q. Resort trying to locate a overdue boat on Friday,...thought oh no not another...
then few hrs later heard CG HQ calling them, sounds like they went up to just south Cape Scott and all was ok..wheww it was not nice when we came in,they would have had one ****ty ride(SE) all the way back

Lots of new fish this morning on the flood Rupert Inlet side of Quatsino Narrows. Some monsters out there. Can see the diffrenece in colour to the ones that have been there a while. Hopefully back out tomorrow.

DJ

Heading up tonight to launch from Coal Harbour tomorrow, plan is to spincast the Coho off McAllister Islet-Cliff Pt area Thurs/Fri if we don't get blown off. New forecast came in today, hopefully that 20-25kt keeps south of Brooks.

Updates to follow.

Back