Winter Harbour 2010

spring fever, thanks for that informative report, however sounds bad for the hali and lings. What gives with that?....BB

In the 12 years that I have fished there -usually from 8 to 12 times a year I have noticed a marked drop in the ground fish population-I suspect overfishing but one could make the case for many area's. I am not a dedicated hali-fisherman and perhaps my spots are not great this year or perhaps I'm holding my mouth the wrong way -lets hope so. It's big water and I can't cover all the spots and maybe I wasn't up to my usual lucky self this trip-as my wife says that's why it's called fishing not catching-but I suspect we will have to burn more gas for our fish and chips this year in WH.

Thanks spring fever, most of all I hope the weather is good, slow fishing on calm waters is better than slopping around all day with no fish.[8D][8D]

Good luck!!!-the boat is primed and ready to go-just have to dig up a crew- Hoping for a great trip for you and a good report.

To clarify: our group did catch fish, salmon, hali etc.
Nothing was really big though, my boat returned 4 springs of about 10lbs.
Just not the sizes we are used to.
That was May 28-31.

Crew just arrived in the last few days, only one boat has done any fishing though, to busy getting things cleaned up. They did get some springs out in front of the light, but most of them were in the teen's. They had two in the mid 20's though. Haven't really tried offshore yet. Weather has been bumpy in the morning, but eases down around 3pm.

Regards,

Fishyboy

A buddy of mine from McNeill fished Kyuquot on the weekend and they got into 60 springs (three boats), but the biggest was 18. He said lots of feeders in the rocks as well as outside. Good hali fishing, lots of chickens.

So there is fish out there.

Now to decide if we want to go West Coast or Hardy this weekend......

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Hey Ken...

For your buddies in Kyuquot were they out towards the highway, the reef or inside.....or....do you know?

I fly in on July 7th but may even head in a couple of days earlier.

quote:Originally posted by Pippen

Hey Ken...

For your buddies in Kyuquot were they out towards the highway, the reef or inside.....or....do you know?

I fly in on July 7th but may even head in a couple of days earlier.

They were both on the Highway and the reef.

The hali's were caught offshore as well.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Looks like we are going to be fishing in 10-25knot:([8) winds all weekend, whats that going to do to us out there?

You can still get out to the highway first thing in the morning, but keep an eye to the North West and when you see the dark water forming, head in behind Kains. You should get a few hours offshore every morning, but there will be good swell.

Good Luck

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

I just returned from 5 days in Winter Harbour. Fishing was real slow and the fish much smaller than usual. We limited out on springs but most fish were in the 18- 20 range. The survey girl said all the fish she checked were in the same range. Weather was lousy, wind was blowing the whole time and we stayed outside only for a few hours each day. We did manage a few halibut with the biggest being 65 lbs. going back in two weeks, hope it picks up

Too bad about the weather-glad you got some fish. I have logged every trip I've made for the last 12 years and for the dates you mentioned 18-20 is about right considering the weather was howling. The larger fish tend to show up very early July-last of June.I'm heading up next friday as there looks to be a weather window developing-now keep your fingers crossed for wind. Thanks for the report-were there any coho off the tip of Kains?

We did not see any coho all week. When the wind got real bad we fished the inside of Kains island. We got most of our springs there. Most action was at 45 ft in about 70 feet of water. Definitley better close to shore. Coho should be showing any time. Hope the weather is better for you.

Fished 2 days, first day started out on the highway, it was dead, at least it was for us so none of our group went out there. Moved in closer 220' range, picked up our limit in 3 to 4 hours, near bottom 165' to 200' tomic 6" green and white spoon and anchovie. It was pretty slow. Jigging was good for Ling and Snapper, only managed 1 chicken. Day 2 started jigging for Hali's picked up a 20 and 15 . Went out couple miles off of Lippy pointed the bow at Kanes to keep the persistent mid morning North West at our aft. There was a big aluminum boat nailing fish, it took as about an hour to find the number, 120' Anchovie Magic number picked up 14 and 20 right of way, 10 mins later 26, nice fish. Freinds in another boat picked up 5 out of 6 of there springs biggest 27, and they lost 2 at the boat.
Over all a great trip the fish were there we just had to find them. Like Sitka said mornings were good 6 ' swell with a bit of chop, totally able to move around out there, about 9:30 10:00 set up for a long South East Tach and the big waves were okay.[8D]:D

Oh ya we did manage one 6 lbs Coho. Will post a few pictures at the end of the week I had take off to the mainland, first thing Monday morning. [:eek:)]

Sounds like things are picking up-was heading up this weekend but will slide it a day or two as I hate any mention of a SE wind. Funny how the highway has been dead for 2 weeks and the fish have been inshore a bit.

Back