Want to buy a NEW boat. Please help!

There is a cuddy, but may be smaller than you are looking for. Good luck with the search, its fun to read through your selection process and plus/minuses of the different boats available.
my bad! I didn't scroll through the whole site after looking at the initial pics. Would be cool to see one of these in person.

Spent some time looking at the Axopar sites. There is actually a dealer here in Seattle. They have a lot of interesting features. However, although their fuel capacity, even on the much larger boats is minimal. On the 25 listed above its only 230 LITERS. My 2870 pursuit has 234 GALLON capacity.

Probably a fun local cruiser. Can't imagine how to really fish out of the layouts they have.

Spent some time looking at the Axopar sites. There is actually a dealer here in Seattle. They have a lot of interesting features. However, although their fuel capacity, even on the much larger boats is minimal. On the 25 listed above its only 230 LITERS. My 2870 pursuit has 234 GALLON capacity.

Probably a fun local cruiser. Can't imagine how to really fish out of the layouts they have.
Another deterrent would be to watch some Haulover Inlet videos on YouTube featuring the Axopar and similar hull designs. Not sure if a capable skipper could make them work better, but the design seems to like to stuff the bow.

They are designed as yacht tenders and for commuting to / from your summer cabin. PNW fishability was unlikely ever factored into the design, and it shows.

I still stand by my previous comment (#30 in this thread). I think your choice really boils down to a new GW 232 or a the best condition used Pursuit OS 255 that you can find which you bring up to your standard. All else being equal (layout, power, electronics package, etc.) I think I'd lean towards to the Pursuit.

You mentioned there were some fit and finishing issues that you weren't impressed with on the GW, but maybe you could address those with the dealer or GW directly when you order you boat (if you go that route) to ensure it's delivered to you standard. Maybe even get them to agree to have you inspect it at the factory before you take delivery? Having been on GW's and most of the other boats mentioned on this thread, I would still put them above almost all others in terms of quality. Take Axopar for example: looks shiny and unique design, but doesn't take long after you step aboard that you can tell it was made on a eastern European production line with a goal to save costs where possible.

Am still interested in a brand new boat - and neither Pursuit or Boston Whaler make one in what I feel is a reasonable size - they are all too big.

Still ruminating over the GW 232 as it checks almost all of the boxes. Need to see a Steiger Craft in person. And the Campion may fit the bill as well.

It's a nice problem to have. Certainly a first world issue!

I don't think Campion should be compared to Grady or Steigercraft in any way quality wise (sorry Campion owners) .I find it hard to understand your thinking that the Grady wasn't up to your standards,was it new or used? Pursuit and Grady is at the top of my list for well thought out fishing boats.That's why so many charter guy's use them.

I don't think Campion should be compared to Grady or Steigercraft in any way quality wise (sorry Campion owners) .I find it hard to understand your thinking that the Grady wasn't up to your standards,was it new or used? Pursuit and Grady is at the top of my list for well thought out fishing boats.That's why so many charter guy's use them.
sounds like it's the 23' availability he references a few times, and the Campion does fit that size requirement.

Going to one of the big boat shows is what I’d recommend. I enjoy Seattle but the east coast ones are going to get you the most to look at.
I would also connect with a good broker that has access to upcoming local listings (WA or CA as an example) and a cross country database.

Appreciate all the input.

All of the boats I've looked at are new. At this point I have a lovely used Pursuit 2870. I'm tired of a used boat. I want to start fresh, really fresh.

I spent an hour on a brand new 232 at our local GW dealer (Jacobsen's marine, edmonds, WA). I was really surprised at the QA issues with the boat - cut off zip tie ends, wiring connections left resting in an area where water is meant to drain, unfinsihed gelcoat, etc. Also the design left a lot to be desired (rear curtain not starting at the back of the hardtop, but about 10" forward, under the captain's chair). Overall, I felt it wasn't worth $200k USD. (pre tax, trailer, electronics, licker, etc).

Maybe it is. Maybe that's what $200k gets you now. I hope not.

Looked at going to the miami boat show - but boats like steiger craft and north coast don't attend those either.

Broker is a great way for a used boat, but unclear how one would help for a new boat - would love to learn how they help.

Very much appreciate all the info I've learned from this group so far. Will continue the search! :)

HB

Would you consider aluminum? You might be able to hit 200k USD with a build direct from welder/fabricators. Jaxsoncraft is someone who has built for members and friends of mine. There is also a member who has his own business and looks to have done nice work in the 20 foot range. Liquid Metal, Walker and few others are premium builders that might be able to do a 23 for 200k usd but I may be way off.

Appreciate all the input.

All of the boats I've looked at are new. At this point I have a lovely used Pursuit 2870. I'm tired of a used boat. I want to start fresh, really fresh.

I spent an hour on a brand new 232 at our local GW dealer (Jacobsen's marine, edmonds, WA). I was really surprised at the QA issues with the boat - cut off zip tie ends, wiring connections left resting in an area where water is meant to drain, unfinsihed gelcoat, etc. Also the design left a lot to be desired (rear curtain not starting at the back of the hardtop, but about 10" forward, under the captain's chair). Overall, I felt it wasn't worth $200k USD. (pre tax, trailer, electronics, licker, etc).

Maybe it is. Maybe that's what $200k gets you now. I hope not.

Looked at going to the miami boat show - but boats like steiger craft and north coast don't attend those either.

Broker is a great way for a used boat, but unclear how one would help for a new boat - would love to learn how they help.

Very much appreciate all the info I've learned from this group so far. Will continue the search! :)

HB
I couldn't agree more re: Grady's.. the amount of them I've looked at with rotten stringers/transoms, pieces of dash and other components broken or falling off is ridiculous for what a hard on people have for them

I was going to suggest Robalo, as they made a nice 23. It looks like they discontinued the cuddies and are strictly CC’s from their website. I think 232 Grady checks most of your boxes like you said. But could you go to a Grady after having the pleasure of running a Pursuit?! 😂

Would you consider aluminum? You might be able to hit 200k USD with a build direct from welder/fabricators. Jaxsoncraft is someone who has built for members and friends of mine. There is also a member who has his own business and looks to have done nice work in the 20 foot range. Liquid Metal, Walker and few others are premium builders that might be able to do a 23 for 200k usd but I may be way off.
Up until seeing the Jaxoncraft build threads I would have never considered an aluminum. Really just love the smooth curves, especially on the interior, of fiberglass.

As there seems to be no clear winner in my fond-a-boat game , I might open my world to aluminum...

I've had some generous offers to test ride aluminum boats - so I may have to do that.

hb

Howard, if you are looking into Aluminum boats check out Stabicraft, they are made in NZ, but have opened a new manufacturing facility in Port Angeles W.A. recently.
The models I would suggest that may fit the bill would be one of their 2250's or a 2500XL.

Check out a few Stabicraft videos, well done videos and an awesome channel.

Here's the 2250 Alpha, made in USA

BTW there is a Stabicraft dealer in Everett WA, Boat Country, great people there, here's a video of them delivering a 2250 UCC recently.

Good luck on your retirement and finding a new boat, it's a pretty good time to buy as dealers are offering discounts and incentives again.

David.

Up until seeing the Jaxoncraft build threads I would have never considered an aluminum. Really just love the smooth curves, especially on the interior, of fiberglass.

As there seems to be no clear winner in my fond-a-boat game , I might open my world to aluminum...

I've had some generous offers to test ride aluminum boats - so I may have to do that.

hb
a lot of the aluminum manufacturers have made a bunch of quickly thrown together, thin, pounders that leave a lot to be desired. I was horrified at the fit and finish of my neighbours 2725 Kingfisher. the wiring, the motors not properly aligned, the fuel valves being installed incorrectly. It was decent in the big waves but it has a delta keel which can still slap.On the flip side, some aluminum boat builders make boats that are basically crew boats. cold. simple. sweaty. hot as hell in the summer.
Wolf boats ( made in Merville) is a tank that handles huge water like nothing but it is finished like a tank. I gather you want some comfort, as you are looking for a cuddy.
If you are even considering aluminum i would go and see a Jaxoncraft. they are just unreal. Being a custom he can lose the rear wall or do whatever you desire. i think you should at least have a look. plus, your american dollar will go further up here towards the build.

Back