Want to buy a NEW boat. Please help!

I’m starting to see more Lighthouse boats around, might be worth a look, Lighthouseboats.ca, their 264SF model may fit, not sure about the cuddy.

You seem to be mostly striking out with production fiberglass boats - and a lot that you like aren't in production. Have you thought of a custom build? You could end up with an absolutely unique boat or a modern replica of one you admire.

It seems to me you could go to an existing manufacturer and ask them to build one of their extinct models to your specs -- or at least build you a hull and deck and let a custom builder proceed from there. Or you could locate moulds from a "dead" manufacturer and build one - be the first 2020's 26' Hourston...

You mentioned concern about managing a contractor, but if you go with reliable suppliers, you should have no trouble and it would be fun on your budget. My 23 Hourston was a custom rebuild of an existing hull. The only original parts are the hull, deck and roof. My rebuild was about half your budget [in tiny $Cdn] with the main contractor being Blackline in Sidney. They pulled in Sea Power, an upholsterer and a marine carpenter as subcontractors -- and involved me in initial design and any decision points along the way. Your $200KUS budget would be nearly $280Cdn [or nearly triple mine].

I watched the North Coast video's and it looks amazing,but if your wanting to trailer it has a 9Ft,5" beam so may need a permit.If you contacted Pursuit dealers they should be able to find you an "as new" Pursuit 2470 or 2570.I owned a 2470 and have a friend with a 2570,it's a better boat.Try Canadian dealers too,your dollar will go further up here.
I've got a 9' beam on my boat and a $1 per day permit is required in BC along with flags on 4 corners (?!) for anything over 8.5' wide up to 10.5' wide (at which point you need Wide Load signage). You can buy as many days as you want over the phone from BC Transportation 24/7/365. I just buy 180 days worth in the spring so that I don't have to remember to buy one. I've never been pulled over but I went through a check stop and they checked my break-away but said nothing about the width of the boat. I have a friend with a 10'5 beam and he's never bought a permit or hung signage and has never been stopped or checked - but his boat only makes one round trip per year to a marina and mine makes 2-3 per week. I'd rather have that extra 6" of beam than not and pay the ~$180/year than run into a Highways cop who's having a bad day.

The saga continues…

Was able to spend some time on. Northcoast 235. All of the time was on a trailer unfortunately. Very interesting boat! 8.6 beam 3/4 pilot house (exactly what I wanted), seating for 4 under hardtop cover, 250 Yamaha. The only question is how it will ride with its 10° transom deadrise. Has a sharp entry. Has some funny storage choices, but will work fine once adapted. Will report back when I can do a sea trial.

Spent some time looking at the Axopar sites. There is actually a dealer here in Seattle. They have a lot of interesting features. However, although their fuel capacity, even on the much larger boats is minimal. On the 25 listed above its only 230 LITERS. My 2870 pursuit has 234 GALLON capacity.

Probably a fun local cruiser. Can't imagine how to really fish out of the layouts they have.

One is moored just down from us. Walking the dock last spring I saw a fellow getting off the boat. He normally fishes and always alone off an older conventional fiberglass boat . I knew the boat wasn't his and he looked up and told me I was trying my buddy's boat out today.

I asked him how he liked it.

He said it "terrified" him. He said there is not enough vertical physical protection on the boat, and fishing alone all he wanted was a harness to tie himself into the boat .

Too bad because they seem to do well in a light chop at speed.

@Aquaholic I’m waiting to do a sea trial on the northcoast 235. The dealer got one in stock but hasn’t unwrapped it yet. I think he will be showing it at the seattle boat show.

And sorry about the wait times up there. You can see me this week. But at least your visits are “free”! :)

No rear door had been a consistent must-not-have.

Correct.

I have looked at these up close and personal at the Seattle boat show last year. At first, I was pretty excited. But the boat is trying to do too many things, and in the process does nothing well from a layout design - at least for me. I haven't been on one, and I'm sure this is the perfect boat for someone, just not me.

I really am excited about the Northcoast 235HT and can't wait to do a sea trial.

HB

Crawled around and through the NorthCoast 235 at the Seattle boat show for a couple of hours. It checks almost all of the boxes. Currently setting up a sea trial.

Looked at the new trophy walkarounds. Interesting boats but not my cup of tea. Really meant as a cruiser with optional fishing.

Also learned that you can set up a tiller kicker with a garmin reactor kicker 40 and it will control throttle as well as be an autopilot. Saves the hassle of having a binnacle at the helm.

Things are coming together!

hb

They did.

I had been in the 255 earlier. For the $ the 235 seems like a much better boat. Wasn’t overly impressed with the 255.

Back