Want to buy a NEW boat. Please help!

barkerfam

All, I'm planning on retiring in 2024 and want to buy what is hopefully my last boat. I have owned a 2004 trophy 2002 (17 years) and a 1998 Pursuit 2870 (last 3 years).

Must haves:
Fiberglass
23-25 feet
walkaround/express (need cuddy)
NEW
Budget around $200k USD

I thought I was going to buy a GW 232 until I spent an hour crawling around a new one at Jacobsens marine (Edmonds, WA). Although I've read all sorts of things about GW great fit and finish I was NOT impressed. That leads me to this cry for help. If Pursuit still made the 2470 I would buy one in a heartbeat. Although many of you may scoff, I would absolutely consider another Trophy if they still made them.

I don't like the new Sailfish layout with the mix between a CC and WA.
Most of the other boat manufacturers no longer make a boat that fits the criterea.

What boats am I missing???

thank you!

Howard

Thought about a skagit or a Seasport?
Seawest (made in Sooke) is producing their 24s again. That's a local option and would be around 200CAD. Not much left for local glass..... All of those are cab boats which might not be your ideal as you mention the 2470/232 wa layout. Sure is nice to have some cover at times.

Whaler has abandoned their 25 conquest and no longer offer anything in the range.l that's relevant. Many companies are dropping that size to focus on the big rigs with quads and tripples. It's to bad.

All, I'm planning on retiring in 2024 and want to buy what is hopefully my last boat. I have owned a 2004 trophy 2002 (17 years) and a 1998 Pursuit 2870 (last 3 years).

Must haves:
Fiberglass
23-25 feet
walkaround/express (need cuddy)
NEW
Budget around $200k USD

I thought I was going to buy a GW 232 until I spent an hour crawling around a new one at Jacobsens marine (Edmonds, WA). Although I've read all sorts of things about GW great fit and finish I was NOT impressed. That leads me to this cry for help. If Pursuit still made the 2470 I would buy one in a heartbeat. Although many of you may scoff, I would absolutely consider another Trophy if they still made them.

I don't like the new Sailfish layout with the mix between a CC and WA.
Most of the other boat manufacturers no longer make a boat that fits the criterea.

What boats am I missing???

thank you!

Howard
No clue how much they are new.. Boston Whaler 255?

What about a North Coast 255: https://www.northcoastboats.com/255-1

I've read a ton about this boat and the next one up, very nice and well built.
That’s what I love about this forum! Hadn’t heard about this boat. Will check it out. Thanks!
How do feel about Defiance?
they are made quite local to me. Have been through them several times. Feel very rough shod. Also they are a pilot house design which really doesn’t work for me.

A forward rake on that windshield would give more room and especially the feel of more space at the wheel.

View attachment 95917
I’ve been ogling this boat on their web site and YouTube for years. Best video is how fast the boat gets on plane on 1 motor. Pretty impressive although the boat seemed empty when they filmed. What’s the story on the 10 degree dead rise at the transom on the 235 HT versus the the 22 degrees on the 255 HT? A BW montauk even has 16 degrees…Would be less tippy on the back deck but how rough would it ride. I believe a member has one of the few in BC.

The North Coast is a well proven rig down east, I have been watching he hull truth threads on these boats for a while now and no one compares these to a Defiance, Steiger perhaps. Both models are definitely on my list as well.

A huge selling feature on the 255 for me is the lack of a step from cockpit to helm.

BTW I haven't seen a North Coast around Vancouver or the Sunshine Coast but it would be an awesome boat for these waters, I figure.

Last edited:
We have a northcoast 23 and I can't say anything bad about it. Steigercraft would be the only other builder I would consider if I was in the market. Pretty sure we have the only one in the mainland. Think there was one sold somewhere on the island a couple years after we got ours. The 25 and 28 models are really nice as well.

I’ve admired Judge Yachts and Parker (read some iffy build/quality issues on Parkers but beautiful lines) on you tube but always circle back to NorthCoast or Steiger Craft.

We have a northcoast 23 and I can't say anything bad about it. Steigercraft would be the only other builder I would consider if I was in the market. Pretty sure we have the only one in the mainland. Think there was one sold somewhere on the island a couple years after we got ours. The 25 and 28 models are really nice as well.
Where did you purchase/trial your boat?

I’ve been ogling this boat on their web site and YouTube for years. Best video is how fast the boat gets on plane on 1 motor. Pretty impressive although the boat seemed empty when they filmed. What’s the story on the 10 degree dead rise at the transom on the 235 HT versus the the 22 degrees on the 255 HT? A BW montauk even has 16 degrees…Would be less tippy on the back deck but how rough would it ride. I believe a member has one of the few in BC.
If the ten degree deadrise is correct, it would explain the ease of planing on one engine.

I watched the North Coast video's and it looks amazing,but if your wanting to trailer it has a 9Ft,5" beam so may need a permit.If you contacted Pursuit dealers they should be able to find you an "as new" Pursuit 2470 or 2570.I owned a 2470 and have a friend with a 2570,it's a better boat.Try Canadian dealers too,your dollar will go further up here.

The 10 degree deadrise is for the 235 not the 255. The 235 is a single engine.

I watched the North Coast video's and it looks amazing,but if your wanting to trailer it has a 9Ft,5" beam so may need a permit.If you contacted Pursuit dealers they should be able to find you an "as new" Pursuit 2470 or 2570.I owned a 2470 and have a friend with a 2570,it's a better boat.Try Canadian dealers too,your dollar will go further up here.
Thanks.

Currently tow the 2870 with a 9'6" beam. Rules say I need a permit. LOVE the wide beam when I'm on the boat. Really makes the difference!

HB

Back