Vancouver Saltchuck?

A bud emailed me some pics of him goofing off on Thursday and earlier this week at the Hump.....and he wanted me to post them.

Enjoy bud... :)

P4300001.jpg

P4300006.jpg

P4300007.jpg

P4300012.jpg

P4300013.jpg

P4300016.jpg

28and29lbers.jpg

Can't get out 'til next Saturday but at least the weather and tides look favourable.

Dumb question time....where is "The Slash" I hear the guides speaking of???

Yes, the algae was bad on Friday. Gear covered in it and my sonar wouldn't read through it. Was in a foot of water at the hump[^]

I keep my rods in the cabin of the boat and when I went to clean up yesterday it was kind of stinky.That algae smells like bad seawater!
I stripped the lines and washed everything down. This led to taking my reels apart and re-lubing. I did speak to someone over at Silva Bay and the fish haven't shown up yet. There has been a couple of guys that have e-mailed me asking if we could go across together. It would depend on boat size and weather. I wouldn't go with anything less than 17 feet.

We managed a 10lb red at bowen near roger curtis, and several reports of fish being caught out at the hump even a 35ish. Whooaa, nice day a little lumpy though..Crabbing is still decent.Can't wait to get out again. cough, cough need a week off!!

quote:Originally posted by haverodwilltravel

Wow! Great pics boys. Stop it. :)

Just got off the phone...

I'd like to see the pics of the 37 lb feeder taken yesterday! I heard it inhaled an anchovy at 85 feet. The fish was a female, was not mature and was as bright as they come in the Charlottes. The angler was in a Boston Whaler Conquest from Coal Harbour. Betcha that dude had a real story to tell at work today.....

Also heard that there were most boats were able to find a couple of fish in the teens yesterday.

What's with the fishing locally this year? This is like the Spring fishery of the last 20 years for Vancouver!

[:p]

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

Anyone been out? Anyone plan on going out?
I hope to get out tomorrow afternoon after I finish smoking the salmon that I have. I'll probably get out earlier on Saturday so I can get back in time for the hockey game.

Planning on going out tomorrow about 9-5 or something, seems the rising tide has been better. Just not sure which area to fish,either hloe in the wall or south end of bowen/tunstall.Any help??

Going out S Bowen tomorrow morning! Both weather and wind look very favourable! [8D] However... there's a whooping ebb starting at sunrise so the earlier the better. The tide won't start to rise again until the afternoon so the early morning bite will be over quickly!

See ya out there. I'll be in a 25' Kingfisher with a couple of red kayaks on the roof.

I'll try to post results... or lack thereof...

Oppi

Hope to be out there tomorrow late morning giving it a go South Bowen area, first trip this year.
21 Trophy-call sign Three Amigos.
tight lines.

I was out at the south of Bowen from about noon til 5. No luck today but the water was calm as a lake and the sun was shining.
I would have been out earlier but I had to smoke the salmon that I caught there earlier in the week.

May2009fishing012.jpg

Wow, looks great! Good to see someone take such care and pride in processing their catch. Now...when is the taste testing? :D

Sounds like the other side has turned into RED HOT fishing. Another forum was totally going off about the other side right now...off Fingers...

"Yep, today was even better than yesterday somehow... We managed to hook 16 fish today and only 1 wasnt in the teens or bigger. Like Hot Rods said, the bite was crazy 8-10 and then slowed down. All my fish were 120-180' deep and bit on coyote spoons (doesnt seem to matter too much which ones) however the nightrider seemed to do best. The fish also seemed to prefer a slower troll in the morning. Limited out with 28/27/25/22 for our keepers as well as 2 lings one being 17lbs. Cant say Ive ever had a better day fishing in Nanaimo."

"silverblue limited out today all nice teeners and one 20. same deal out far and deep down 160."

:D:D:D:D

preview_may09_013.jpg

preview_may09_022.jpg

preview_may09_024.jpg

preview_may09_026.jpg

preview_may09_027.jpg

preview_may09_031.jpg

preview_may09_033.jpg

Got out to south Bowen today. Finally got the "skunk" smell out of the boat for the year. Actually it was a hell of a day for me. Fishing solo I got my 2 limit by 12:00, starting with the lines in the water by about 9:00. Got the first one, a high teens maybe 20# on anchovie at 110' and the second one hit on a army truck hootchie and green flasher at 110' as well. It was a solid high teenager as well.

It was such a beautiful day I didn't want to go in yet. But with my limit I needed somebody with a license. So I phoned my dad who has a place near Snug Cove. So I bomb in there. He buys a license at Doc Morgans. We bomb back out. Throw the lines back in and BAM another one hits on the anchovie at 110' again. Another solid teen, 13-15 # all red. First time the old mans been fishing in years.
So back to the parents place for a nice salmon bar-b-que. What a great day on the water. Sunny flat calm
I caught these ones about 2.5nm south of Roger Curtis in around 500' of water.
I'll try and post the pictures my mom took if I can get the camera from her and figure out how to do it.

Was just talking to a couple of fishing friends I know..

There's a few fish being taken out there already this morning.

Big fish so far is a 30 lber.
Also reports of a couple of mid 20's, a few in the teens, and lots and lots of boats out fishing from Cowan to Cape Roger Curtis to the QA....we should call that the "triangle". Fishing is quite consistent...with most boats reporting action in the teens to low twenties.

It's still fishing extremely well... another couple of buds I know did very well on Friday...whacking a few.. here's there report.

http://www.bonchovy.com/blog/2009/05/may-8-report/

Back