Vancouver Saltchuck?

Got to love pixel pirates! fishin_magician, you should at least offer the site some credit rather than masking it, unlike all of your other reports from the guide sites. After all you are a member there too, are you not? I am glad that everyone is catching fish, as it has been far too many years of sporadic opportunity. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Your boat smells like fish now, Pappa! [8D] NICE.

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Friday was great on the water, calm and sunny.
I tried something different by removing my flasher and just trolling an anchovie. I hooked into a spring in the high teens ( I think), and played it for about ten minutes before ir spat the hook. That fish must have jumped at least ten times and after I lost it my hands were shaking for half an hour. :D
That was about 10:30am, 500ft down 100ft.
A few moments later a large pod of killer whales, about 15, swam past the boat and the bite stopped. I moved away from Cowans point and over toward Roger Curtis and caught and released one undersized.
Took one dungeness home and headed home early to go to the Fleetwood Mac concert.
I love my city!

quote:Originally posted by Salmon Smoker

Friday was great on the water, calm and sunny.
I tried something different by removing my flasher and just trolling an anchovie. I hooked into a spring in the high teens ( I think), and played it for about ten minutes before ir spat the hook. That fish must have jumped at least ten times and after I lost it my hands were shaking for half an hour. :D
That was about 10:30am, 500ft down 100ft.
A few moments later a large pod of killer whales, about 15, swam past the boat and the bite stopped. I moved away from Cowans point and over toward Roger Curtis and caught and released one undersized.
Took one dungeness home and headed home early to go to the Fleetwood Mac concert.
I love my city!
Thanks for the report, I know a couple of guys out there today and hopefully they will have good news.

sorry for late reply, we took off the shirts and baked ourselves out in the glorious sunshine so fell asleep last night w/o reporting, started 645am fishing, ran one cutplug and one hootchie on fast troll, missed bite off herring and landed a small 4#er on hootchie, choppy in morning but as day got going she laid right down<aka tan time> were fishing around 7 boats for most of morning, seen predator and right when we spotted her the hootchie popped and 10 minutes later 20#er made her way into mesh, very nice, we seen 3 other nets in water for next 1.5 hours with fish easily in teens, then ole hootchie decided to pop again and after a great scrap a 17#er found way into net, we fished too 130pm which turned out to be bad mistake, Ambelside got too low to trailer so had to drive down to Cates and that accident on upperlevels hooped everyone, Crabs were also full of biggies and hardshells.

We're going to south Bowen for another crack at it. I will be doing something really dumb and setting four crab traps out.[:0] I just hope those Scotts are gentle with them. Full report tommorow.

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

We're going to south Bowen for another crack at it. I will be doing something really dumb and setting four crab traps out.[:0] I just hope those Scotts are gentle with them. Full report tommorow.
Do we have problems with crab traps around Bowen? I used to put my traps in close to Port Moody but I won't let them out of my sight there now!
I've been dropping a trap in the harbour on my way out and it's always been there at the end of the day...with crabs.
I was out today and landed a 14lb at about 4pm, (started at 1pm).
The water and weather was fantastic.

Got out today with the missus and the boy. Absolutely beautiful. Released an undersize one on the anchovy rig. Wasn't getting any action on the old trusty army truck hootchie so switched it up to the flamin hans spoon and flasher rig. Had a kone zone rig 3' down from the spoon set up. Low and behold, BAM off she goes. Nice little fight later with a leap out of the water to boot and in comes a nice 15-20#
Sadly I lost the kone zone in the all the excitement. Don't ask!
3 large crabs in the traps at the end of day to top it all off.
Fishing off south Bowen again. Large fleet out there today.

I'll be dropping the traps around the Fraser mouth. There's always those small commercial crab boats hanging around there. I'm guessing they have the familly on board and have the maximum traps out as sports. Glad to hear the good reports.

We got 5 today! 1 salmon 15lbs. and 4 crab. Fished the hump with 20 or so others. Heard all the chatter coming from Thrasher and sounded real good. I heard Jason from Bonchovy say he had 3 and that was at around 7;30. We lucked out and got ours on glo-head teaser (J.D.F.) with 5 inch herring at 80 feet. Great day on the water. I spoke to the dude checking fish at the ramp and he tells me if we report enough fish D.F.O. plans to open the river to commercial [:0] Just when things look a little better lets screw it up. I don't plan on letting him know anything in the future.

Great day on the water. Had a nice one on for a while and then along came Mr. Wiskers. [}:)] Had to settle for two crabs.

quote:Originally posted by Red Monster

Great day on the water. Had a nice one on for a while and then along came Mr. Wiskers. [}:)] Had to settle for two crabs.

Just had a fantastic afternoon/evening on the water. Dad and I limited with 8 Dungies and boxed a 22 pound white (looks to be a Howe Sound fish--a doe) and a 29 lb Red from a June spot. 2 bites, 2 fish. One on an Army Truck at 85 and the other at 95 on Anchovy.

:D

I went out this morning and trolled mfor a while at south Bowen but I couldn't stand all the little black fies that came on to the boat. I decided to go across towards Thrasher. It was a little windy there, but no flies. Played on fish for a while til I lost it. I seem to lose a few more fish when I don't use a flasher but I love the fight and all the jumping from the fish.
I'll settle for crab dinner tonight. Another great day on the water.

Crabdinner.jpg

We fished Saturday morning off the hump for about half an hour with no action. I heard that north of Thrasher was getting a pretty good bite, so decided to shoot over. It was my first time over there, but managed a double header on a hootchie and choive both with flashers at 100'and 110' around noon. Got one of the fish, a 22 pound red and lost the other. Managed 2 other undersize on Flamin Hans and Coho Killer. Left around 2 PM to go back, as I did not want any trouble with a rough crossing, being that it was my first time over.

Just in from fishing not too far from where I was last night. Didn't bother with crab traps today but did manage a 16 lb Red. Also lost 2 cannon balls on some underwater obstruction in a position where none should exist...and I've trolled over there literally thousands of times along with hundreds of other boats.....I'd love to know what the object is...I'm thinking a piece of boom cable or something big like that on a submerged piece of something or other.....we were far off the shore---no visible crab traps...and reaction time was neglibile---there was nothing we could have done...brakes were slipping.....there was little we could have done. It's almost worth contracting a diver to get down there and see WTF that object is. Cannonballs were estimated at more than 40 feet off the bottom. Confirmed by depth on the sounder.

Also witnessed suspicious crab trap activity in the same area with 2 different "yachts" swinging up, cruising the line of pots, checking a couple of crab traps then tossing them overboard again with seemingly no concern for them--then heading a direction where it was unlikely they would be coming back for them anytime soon.

Overall not too bad of a weekend..but could have done without the loss of 2 cannonballs! W T F*&%!!!

FM, that questionable crap trap activity didn't happen to be around 2nd Beach, did it? Pretty sure our traps were raided there.. 10 hour soak for 3 pots, 2 were completly empty w/ the bait gone but atleast our third was full.. and atleast the traps were still there.

Anyway - we put in a solid day off South Bowen on Saturday and managed nothing but 1 hit and 1 nice ling when we bounced our canon ball off bottom by accident in 90 feet of water. No weight on the ling as we released it immediately due to being unsure where exactly the RCA was.. but we estimate it was in the 5-7 lb range.

Beautiful day on the water!

I'm using cheap zip-ties on the corners of my traps. This way they have to cut the ties to open it up.At least I'll know. I also have seen bigger luxury type boats pull away quickly from traps as we approach.

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

I'm using cheap zip-ties on the corners of my traps. This way they have to cut the ties to open it up.At least I'll know. I also have seen bigger luxury type boats pull away quickly from traps as we approach.

Good idea! Something I'm going to do as well.

Back