Vancouver Saltchuck?

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

Too bad F.M. I'm busting my butt working extra hours so I can go Thursday.My wife actualy wants to go again[:0], I guess there's a difference between trolling for 8 hrs with no fish. Can someone tell me or post a photo of a Flamin Hans ? I went to Nikka today and they never heard of it. On Sunday 1/2 the boats were catching with it.

The description:

It's a Gibbs 2 3/4" Gypsy in Half Green/Half Glow. There is a thin cerise(hot pink) strip centered right down the middle of the spoon (added no doubt to a Green Glow). The stripe is about 3 mm wide. It's a high action spoon.

The spoon was named/created by Hans Auer of Bavaria Charters who used to guide locally.

One of the local boats, Southern Cross, it would seem, always reports catching his fish on this spoon.

The spoon is one in a series of special spoons produced by Gibbs and named after the guides who designed/tested them.

There is also the "Flamin' Finney" (named after Sewell's Guide Mark Finney) and "Korsch's Killer" (David Korsch of Predator Charters).

I think there are other paint schemes and they all catch fish like crazy. I've used all of them and they catch fish!

The last time I was looking for the Flamin' Hans they were sold out of them.

I bought mine from Berry's Bait and Tackle in Richmond last year. I purchase all my bait from them and I think I had visited the store 4 or 5 times before they had stock because they are popular.

I think Tomic has a version in the same paint scheme (I've seen a few of them) but the Tomic version doesn't catch fish as the Gibbs Gypsy in the 2 3/4 inch size.

I figure you could get a Coyote 4.0 in Green Glow and add the Cerise Stripe down the middle with some of the girlfriend's nailpolish and have the same effect? The 2 3/4" spoon catches fish though!!

Thanks F.M. Interesting stuff, local guides designing gear that works. :)

Hey brisco and F.M. I was at berry's today picking up some bait and they had the flamin hans in stock. I hadnt seen it before but after reading this thread i had to pick 1 up. should of grabbed a couple I'm thinking. Thanks guys for all the local info and regular reports.
Got my boat back today and will be out this week.
Morganic
P.S just checked my tackle box. i picked up the same Gibbs spoon a few weeks back at army and navy in a 3 1/2 or 4 inch size. Didnt know the name then but looked fish worthy.

Anybody been out the past couple of days? I was out yesterday from 8 - 12 without a nibble. Probably should have waited for low slack, but it was blustery and lumpy. Was about to head out today, but from the sailboats out in front of Bowen at 2PM, it looked like at least 15 - 20 kn NW. I'm a wimp... [V] Last couple of days for prawns, and they're big and plentiful!

quote:Originally posted by Pangaea

Anybody been out the past couple of days? I was out yesterday from 8 - 12 without a nibble. Probably should have waited for low slack, but it was blustery and lumpy. Was about to head out today, but from the sailboats out in front of Bowen at 2PM, it looked like at least 15 - 20 kn NW. I'm a wimp... [V] Last couple of days for prawns, and they're big and plentiful!

I personally haven't been out but a phone call and the information was that a few boats were into multiple fish (some into a half dozen or more).

It's still going on. I know a couple of guys who are out tomorrow. Should be good! :)

Here's another report. Not the report I mentioned previously but definitely backs up the solid fishing locally.

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: April 29/2009.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

As is typical at this time of year, the fishing off the "South end of Bowen" has really picked up. As I kind of expected, the action picked up significantly over the Easter weekend, and it has basically been good ever since. Some days are obviously better than others, and sunny calm conditions often tend to produce the best results. I do tend to find that sunny weather definitely has a positive influence on the results off South Bowen at this time of year, and of course it is always easier to fish if it is calm......

Today I was out on one of those sunny calm days, and we experienced VERY GOOD action out on the "hump" (4 miles south of Bowen). After first looking at Grace Islands early in the morning (and finding nothing) we moved out off south Bowen mid-morning, and got the gear in the water on the hump at 10:00. In 2 1/2 hours we hooked into 9 Chinook, landing 3 legal fish (11, 14, and 19 lbs), released 3 undersize, and lost 3 others of which 2 would have been legal. Excellent action any way you look at it! We have also seen the usual "hot spots" in the lower portion of Howe Sound continue to produce well, and the upper Sound is also producing fish quite regularly. The Porteau Cove/Defence Island/Furry Creek areas seem to be on again/off again so it is pretty "hit and miss", but when it is on, it has been quite hot. Not too much going on up there over the past week or so (other than the odd fish), but we could still see an exceptionally hot bite occur up here at any time.

I'd expect to see the good results continue off South Bowen over the next couple weeks anyway. Most fish getting caught are ranging from 10 to 20 lbs, though there is the odd one topping 20, and some small legal ones as well. There are not too many undersized fish in the mix, though at times you seem to encounter a school of fish around 45 cm in length. Anchovies, spoons, and hootchies are all working, and while the 80 to 120' depth range seems to be most popular, there are significant numbers of fish getting hit as shallow as 40 or 50' even in the middle of a bright sunny day.

We are also getting close to that time of year when we start to look towards Gabriola Is. and Thrasher Rock for some hot action. Typically this fishery is in full swing by mid-May, so it could begin at any time now. Remember, that this is typically an area where dragging bottom with small spoons catches the lion's share of the fish. Hootchies have been productive in recent years (especially the green/glow/spackleback), and anchovies do take fish at times.

At this time of year, weather is still a factor at times, but when it is nice the longer daylight hours and evenings are really starting to make the days on the water enjoyable. Don't be afraid to call even with less than a day's notice, as that can still often work out at this time of year.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
www.predatorcharters.com
davek@dccnet.com
(604) 329 - 8642

I went to the south of Bowen for a few hours today and landed a 25lb white spring. 390 ft of water, downrigger @ 80 ft. I only had one hit today but that's all I needed.
I used that 3 1/2" gypsy 'cause I forgot my trusty anchovies at home with my packed lunch.
I pulled up my crab trap in the harbour on the way home and kept the largest 4 of the dozen crabs in my trap.
What a great day! I was out on Monday and was getting blown around so much that it wasn't a pleasure.
firstsalmonof20094292009003.jpg

Congrats! You made up my mind, I"ll run a couple of rods with spoon in the morning.

Hey nice work Salmon Smoker.

I managed to pick up the last two Flamin' Hans that Berry's had the other day. Will give them a go on Friday after tomorrow's night shift. I just hope I don't doze off while bobbing along out there.

Would be nice to hit one like yours Smoker, that would wake me up for sure.

Maybe I'll see you out there...I'm in a blue & white SeaRay
This fish hit at 3pm, right at the high tide.
I'm glad there were no seals nearby as this fish fought for a while.

My Stabicraft has an aluminum hull with a white top.
Light brown canvas above that.
I'll be "on" 88A.

Won't be staying out much past 2 as I am on call at 4.[B)]

A local friend of mine is out there right now with one in the upper twenties/ possibly low thirties. He reports they had a shot at another but the seal took it. Way to go MB!

Fishing is more important than hockey. Went out to the hump this morning and noticed there were no guides around ? We managed one hit and one fish @ 9:30 on chovie 50 feet down. The only reason I was at 50 feet was that my cable got tangled and I was forced to cut it. I did not see another fish taken by the 1/2 dozen boats. I heard on the radio some guys were over around Porlier and were into 6 or 7 pound fish. I might be out Fri.

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

Fishing is more important than hockey. Went out to the hump this morning and noticed there were no guides around ? We managed one hit and one fish @ 9:30 on chovie 50 feet down. The only reason I was at 50 feet was that my cable got tangled and I was forced to cut it. I did not see another fish taken by the 1/2 dozen boats. I heard on the radio some guys were over around Porlier and were into 6 or 7 pound fish. I might be out Fri.

Brisco, check your PM. It was slower today however fish were taken....11 am and later...tide change.

Went out for my first trip this year off of the South end of Bowen with my wife and son and a friend of his. We had three hits, got one on board, 10lb spring. Not a good average but we were a little rusty after taking the winter off. The fish was taken on a Green/Glow Coyote with a Green Haze at 60 feet. The other 2 hits were on anchovy with a green head and Green flasher, also at 60 feet. We only fished for about 3 hours then made our way back to check the prawns and crab. We had 61 prawns and 11 Crab, There are some nice size prawns and crab to be had, a couple of the Crab were over 7 inches.

363102128.jpg

Dare Devil Dog
363102133.jpg

Boys enjoying a day of fishing.
363102137.jpg

Big Prawns

Thinking of heading out tom. Hows fishing?? Sounds like i missed out on some good fishing while i was in the dominican rebubic.

Ill be in brown/beige Legend with a brown canvas. It would be cool meeting some forum members.

quote:Originally posted by Dan The Man

Thinking of heading out tom. Hows fishing?? Sounds like i missed out on some good fishing while i was in the dominican rebubic.

Ill be in brown/beige Legend with a brown canvas. It would be cool meeting some forum members.

Reports from the local hot areas mentioned previously in this thread has it "slowing off" a bit over the last 2 days for many boats fishing the area. Some are still "having fun" finding some spurts of action.

Hopefully they are to be found tomorrow ;)

quote:Originally posted by Sea Morgan
[br. We had three hits, got one on board, 10lb spring...The fish was taken on a Green/Glow Coyote with a Green Haze at 60 feet.

I got one about the same size near Roger Curtis, also on a green/glow coyote. I was trolling 2 rods, the other was an anchovie.
Funny it hit the Coyote and not the anchovie, it's belly was full of anchovies.

Be sure to check your fishing line frequently. The algae collects on it quickly and i had a hard time reeling it in. The algae was building up in the rod tip and slowing down the retrieve.
I didn't think I was going to land the fish and had to keep trolling to keep the line tight while I cleaned the accumulation at the tip.
There's a bloom right now.

Back