Winter Chinook Sechelt Inlet

Marley

Hi Guys

Going to be staying with friends in Sechelt (Sandy Hook) over spring break and going to bring the boat. I can moor it in front of the house so will be trying the local area for chinook.

I have been looking at the charts and am thinking of trying bottom bouncing in the Sandy Hook area.

Any other suggestions of locations to try in the inlet would be appreciated.

Thanks

far as aware its all at 9 mile point watch the weather as the wind in the inlet can blow up

I will check out 9 mile as well thanks. You’re right the inlet can get rough I have been up it quite a few times in my old 12 ft aluminum, gotta watch the weather.

How big is the boat you're running? If you're all the way to 9 Mile, you may as well shoot through to Egmont point or Vancouver River this time of year.

16ft aluminum with a 90. If the fishing is better I could trailer it up to Egmont and launch there. Where would you recommend?

Attachments

• 854EE96C-2A76-4F68-A0FB-B61DDE5F2C81.jpeg
    854EE96C-2A76-4F68-A0FB-B61DDE5F2C81.jpeg
    806.7 KB · Views: 31
From where you're staying I'd just run the boat up and cross the rapids at slack. Otherwise you can launch at the back eddy. It's a sketchy ramp tho.

When we talk sketchy boat launch....how sketchy? I have different versions of this depending on the boat. (Jets vs props beaches vs ramps) My boat is similar to Marley's in size and a prop. Is it a tide thing there? Also, is Vancouver Bay a good spot because it is sheltered? I fished around there many years ago, not for salmon, but did notice plenty of juveniles chasing my buzz bombs around.

Cheers,
Trevor

Ramp at the backeddy is no problem just need to time your tides. you could leave the boat tied up at the dock overnight they have lots of space to save from multiple launches. burgers at the restaurant are awesome.

You just need to make sure to time the tides as the ramp can dry out. I've seen a few guys get stuck trying to retrieve in a hurry as they didn't time it correctly. Back Eddy has fuel at the docks at a significant surcharge to plan accordingly. It was 30 cents a litre more than Pender Harbor last season.

Last edited:
You just need to make sure to time the tides as the ramp can dry out. I've seen a few guys get stuck trying to retrieve in a hurry as they didn't time it correctly. Back Eddy has fuel at the docks at a significant surcharge to plan accordingly. It was 30 cents a little more than Pender Harbor last season.
Ya the fuel gouge is disgusting

All this Egmont talk has me revved up to rip up there in March for a few days. Annual haul out is April 2nd so may as well get one last run in before I find all sorts of issues that weren't there before haha! Nothing a shiny new 350HP V10 won't take care of in instant.

I know from a few guys that it has been happening up that way, and will continue to do so well into summer. Its an awesome spot and the Back Eddy has great moorage and accommodations if needed. Their docks start to fill out in April and May when the cruisers head out, fyi, always best to call ahead and make sure there's space. Cheers.

All this Egmont talk has me revved up to rip up there in March for a few days. Annual haul out is April 2nd so may as well get one last run in before I find all sorts of issues that weren't there before haha! Nothing a shiny new 350HP V10 won't take care of in instant.

I know from a few guys that it has been happening up that way, and will continue to do so well into summer. Its an awesome spot and the Back Eddy has great moorage and accommodations if needed. Their docks start to fill out in April and May when the cruisers head out, fyi, always best to call ahead and make sure there's space. Cheers.
I'm right there with yah.

Ramp at the backeddy is no problem just need to time your tides. you could leave the boat tied up at the dock overnight they have lots of space to save from multiple launches. burgers at the restaurant are awesome.
Cool! Thanks for the tip! Man. It would be fun to go up there.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I am going to give Back Eddy a try. Easier to trailer up with the wife and kids than run up the inlet and time out slack tide. I took a look at Navionics and there is a lot of good looking structure to fish.

DFO is planning to change the opening in this area starting April 1 to one a day marked rather than the previous marked or wild.

Back