The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

max, you should leave the old belts in place and just tie wrap them back and out of the way, that way if you should break a belt on the water
you don't have to pull that raw waterpump off out there cause that could be ugly, thats how I have mine

max, you should leave the old belts in place and just tie wrap them back and out of the way, that way if you should break a belt on the water
you don't have to pull that raw waterpump off out there cause that could be ugly, thats how I have mine

Excellent idea Gidy, next time for sure. I have now found out that one of my Optima batteries is not well and may have caused the alternator to go. So I am replaciong both batteries since they are 5 years old.

i would stay away from the optimas as the gel type batteries do not like quick or hard charges, nor do they like being drained deep. i ran them on my off road vehicle and had problems with them accepting charges after they were drained.

Finally. I can now say i've taken part in a good sockeye bite. After getting ou last year a fewtimes and not getting into any i had no idea what people were talking abou with double and triple headers now i do. Set off this morning with some buds at 6;30 and we were around the corner of the north arm rods in and trolled toward the t10. saw a few jumpers and a few being landed around us and then it was on.
bottom rod goes right side and as were getting fish in bottom rod left goes another on. kept trolling and when we got on schools we waited for hits and they kept coming. we all got our limit of sox and a few pinks. i've done a lot of reading on here for tips so thanx and thnx to jason at pacific angler for some tips yesterday. i ran a daisy chain above the ball then flasher and squirt then another flasher and squiret 15 ft above. other side same with no dummy all 6 ft. back from rigger 26 inch leader. had 4 different flashers, pink haze, red glo chartreuse glo green glo and they all got fish. most action tho bottom rods at 57 and 53. would of texted u dmurph but left phone in car

i would stay away from the optimas as the gel type batteries do not like quick or hard charges, nor do they like being drained deep. i ran them on my off road vehicle and had problems with them accepting charges after they were drained.

You are right , I just got a couple of new batteries from West Marine. Now I have a major problem with my distributer as the plastic has blown apart where the screws go in to hold the cap. Plastic looks fatigued, I'm going to have to do a Red Green fix since a new Volvo distributer is over $800 clams. :(

I have done the band-aid repair and engine runs o.k. I hate to complain since this is my 6th season and first trouble but poor design on Volvo's part. Also $800 bucks are they nuts? Here are a couple of pics,

039-5.jpg

038-5.jpg

Was out off the bell buoy this morning: heard of a few spring being landed. Washed our gear for a few hours with no success, so packed it up and headed towards the t 10. The bite was on at the t 10, but you really had to troll through schools to find the fish. Ended up with one big 6 pound sock. Heard of some bigger springs being landed closer in towards the iona jetty. The sox fishing wasnt hot for us, but we got late in the day; heard the morning bite ( 630) was much better.

Sand heads and question about electric downriggers

Fished sandheads sat morn not much action in the pack of boats then ventured off out of the pack to the south light ship area and had non stop action of both socs and pinks, lost more than we landed but ended up with limits for 3.

Also I am upgrading to electrics, for those that have them do you run 2 batteries or one? I was thinking I would run an aux battery. My kicker does have a charging unit so I am thinking I can get away with just one. Any suggestions?

Fished sandheads sat morn not much action in the pack of boats then ventured off out of the pack to the south light ship area and had non stop action of both socs and pinks, lost more than we landed but ended up with limits for 3.

Also I am upgrading to electrics, for those that have them do you run 2 batteries or one? I was thinking I would run an aux battery. My kicker does have a charging unit so I am thinking I can get away with just one. Any suggestions?

Have you looked at the price of a tow? At minimum buy a cheap battery and carry jumper cables.

An afternoon at sandheads gave up 3 pinks and 2 sox for us. Another 8 pounder and a 5.5 pounder. These sox are nice and big. BBQ'd the smaller one last night and it was delicious.

I run one electric rigger and one manual rigger on my boat and never had battery issues. I only have one battery but it's a deep cycle and my fishfinder has a low battery alarm just in case.

An afternoon at sandheads gave up 3 pinks and 2 sox for us. Another 8 pounder and a 5.5 pounder. These sox are nice and big. BBQ'd the smaller one last night and it was delicious.

I run one electric rigger and one manual rigger on my boat and never had battery issues. I only have one battery but it's a deep cycle and my fishfinder has a low battery alarm just in case.

Congrats on the fish! I run a 800cca starter battery for the main engine and a deep cycle for kicker and riggers. You are not supposed to use a deep cycle as a starter battery.

thanks! Yeah mine is a dual purpose starting/deep cycle. Basically a starting battery with thicker plates to give more reserve capacity.

It's fine to use a deep cycle for a starting battery as long as it exceeds the CCA requirement for your motor. In my case I have a 70hp 2 stroke.

I actually find my fish finder drains the battery more than the electric down rigger does. My down rigger is a scotty depth power 30" boom.

Hi Guys.......New to the fishing over here....(Vancouver)

I here all of you talking about SandHeads...T-10...Bell Buopy...South Arm?????
Were are these places and most of all is were do you launch your boats from???

I live in MR area and only have a 17ft Double Eagle boat so I have to watch the weather and wind.

Thanks Lot

Fished around the T-10 area towards the North Arm today from 6 am til noon (launched @ McDonald). Snagged a dogfish (first for me), also snagged a nice Sockeye which we promptly let go while changing depthes on the rigger (it happened literally as soon as I stopped at the new depth). Pointed the rod and pulled him in like you're trying to break a snag sort of as if river fishing. Anyways, hooked and landed 3 Sockeye (around 8-9 pound a piece) and 1 pink fishing using standard Sockeye gear (flasher/pink squirts). Not a bad day overall (fishing out of a buddies boat).

I seemed to notice more Pinks than Sockeye coming from other boats today but didn't spend too much time observing others. We fished one rod in the 30-50 foot depth, the other in the 60-80 foot depth.

Hi Guys.......New to the fishing over here....(Vancouver)

I here all of you talking about SandHeads...T-10...Bell Buopy...South Arm?????
Were are these places and most of all is were do you launch your boats from???

I live in MR area and only have a 17ft Double Eagle boat so I have to watch the weather and wind.

Thanks Lot

Sandheads is the South arm of the Fraser. T10 is the marker buoy off the middle arm of the Fraser. Bell buoy is the is off the North arm of the Fraser, towards Spanish Banks. The QA marker is further out in the Strait off the North arm.

You'd probably be best to launch at the McDonald beach ramp in Richmond.

Hi Clint think I saw you out at Iona one day there, is your boat sirvivor 2 ? From Flasher to hook is 18 to 20 inch for the squirts. I will be back at work and back Friday. The afternoon has been best for us. Here is one for everyone, my wife runs braid and I run steel, both rods set at 56 same set ups , she has her home made flash of a dodger and 2 small red and green flashers all attached backwards to the ball and I have a small cone zone to the ball. Her rod has been hit every time, a first on every double. My rod is also in the kicker wash, but I 'm thinking it may be that the braid has a little less blowback slowing the gear just a little which the soxs like. What do you think, I guess today I should try her flash first.

Yup your right my boat name is Sir-Vivor II and I was at Iona on Wednesday (sometimes on the VHF I say just Sir-Vivor , but its just me tooo )
You have quite the hook up there and I to run my leaders at 20-24 inch but I saw one of the guides with leaders at least 5' long and he was getting the only hits so like they say if they are not bitting change it up eh ! (cant remember who, but the guy with the Big Trophy with twins on the back).
Whats your VHF name ?
Excuse me if you told me but man I have met a ton of new guys this year and just trying to get them straight.
I have the 23rd to the 27th of Aug off so I am going to stick around and if he weather permitts be on the water every day ...... so maybe see you out there again.
Give me a shout when your out and we'll see if we can figure out where the heck the schools are at LOL

Clint
Sir-Vivor II

Last edited by a moderator:
I can get out this Wednesday 24th but going to start looking for the big boys, sox are good for eating but lets face it a 30lb + spring is what we really want. :p

Was out at T-10 area yesterday. Hit over 15 Socks and boated 10 from 8 to 12 yesterday morning. All on squirts from 35 to 50 feet. Had a my son and couple other kids on board. They had a blast. Great fishery for the kids!

Back