The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

Where are the pinks everyone was catching a couple of days ago?

The big wave is not here yet. very soon though.

I was out in active pass and around pender today. Seine boats were mopping up massive loads of pinks from the west entrance of active pass all the way to the southern end of pender island.

There should be millions coming down from johnston straight as well. My bet is by next weekend we will be up to our necks in pinks.

I was out in active pass and around pender today. Seine boats were mopping up massive loads of pinks from the west entrance of active pass all the way to the southern end of pender island.
THATS FUNNY THERE IS NO COMMERCIAL OPENING RIGHT KNOW IN AREA E, just johnstone strait,

Was out all day yesterday, started at the morning high tide at the mouth of the cap then trolled towards pt. Atkinson for awhile and nothing. Tried up Howe sound for a bit and nothing. Came back to Pt.Atkinson for the evening low tide trolled towards pink palace. Saw bait balls and fish on the finder but nothing. Not even a bite! Was using chovies with green flashers on the bottom, middle and top.

The water is still very murky....is anyone using dummy flashers on thier downrigger lines?

Was out last wednesday and yesterday up howe sound. Pinks everywhere around the Deeks creek area, got our limit on wed in half an hour. Yesterday we had to work a little harder for them but still got 3 beuties and lost 5 more. We were using spinning rods with small pink buzzbombs, but it really didnt matter as fish were really hitting anything! I dont know what all the fuss is about the poor quality of pinks, they taste awesome to me and have heard there excellent smoked.

Looks like the wind will be calm near noon Sunday so I'm going to take the wife and dogs for some crabbing and try for a spring around the t-10. Might get a pink ? I looked at the Albion test reports and there are a fair amount of springs coming up.

Crab markers are out past the coal docs with the new regulations about dropping anywhere near the port and ferry terminal so it is clear to troll. I have been trying a few different options to figure out the best place to launch. I have gone out of cresent beach, it is about a 30-45 min run but I know I can get the boat out on high or low tide. I tried point roberts today, light house park is a no go, you can launch at the marina there, 30 bucks in and out for the hoist, but the marina doesn't open till 7:30 am. The ferry slip is only good on high tide, I haven't tried from Steveston yet but you are probably looking at a 30 plus min run. Does anybody know of a launch out of Ladner? would this be a closer run?

You can launch at Captains Cove in Ladner, there is a public launch there with parking, you will need to watch the tides as the area needs a good dredging but other than that you can be at the coal port in about 30 mins

Thanks guys. I assume you run out the arm that goes under the bridge to Westham Island from Captain's Cove. Did that for crabs once.

Better evening

Fished from 1:30-6:30.
Pk Apts to Pt. A.

Lots of undersize.
Released a couple of pinks.

Kept 1 Clipped Coho about 7 lbs.

Then, all electrics went. Main wouldn't re-start.
Kicker wouldn't start. Trouble...

Finally, got the kicker going and made the long trek back to Vanier through the flotilla out for the fireworks.
Made it to the dock at 9pm. Then, couldn't get the main to tilt up to pull it out.

Finally got it up, and home. A good afternoon of fishing with a stressful last couple of ours, and a trip to the shop this week I guess.

Fished from 1:30-6:30.
Pk Apts to Pt. A.

Lots of undersize.
Released a couple of pinks.

Kept 1 Clipped Coho about 7 lbs.

Then, all electrics went. Main wouldn't re-start.
Kicker wouldn't start. Trouble...

Finally, got the kicker going and made the long trek back to Vanier through the flotilla out for the fireworks.
Made it to the dock at 9pm. Then, couldn't get the main to tilt up to pull it out.

Finally got it up, and home. A good afternoon of fishing with a stressful last couple of ours, and a trip to the shop this week I guess.

Glad you got back safe
glad you gotta fish tho.
$hitty about boat.probs.
I'm still locked out at work so got nothing but time. let me know your schedule and we'll take my boat out this week

you can also launch at wellington point on most tides. Go through Ladner on river road towards westham island...short run if you go out under the bridge to westham but watch out for the shallows in the pass.

Went out to T-10 and there was only one other boat there. I did not see a single fish of any kind break water. Managed 2 crabs from 4 nets, the commies are relentless and I watched them try to run over my nets. They stopped it once we motored over, drives me nuts these Vietnemese can come here and get licences and screw with my gear. I got the camera out and took a few pictures of them and they ran into the cabin of the boat. lol

Definitely a different year than most in Vancouver. Howe Sound is "off the hook" for Pinks. West Van seems to be the only game in town...Pinks, Cohos, Chinook and Sox...make sure you ID your catch....even heard of a hatchery SOX in the mix. .......fished Friday, Sat and today (Sun), Cohos and Pinks to show for it. Bring on the Springs?????? Fraser R. runoff is absolutely incredible...it's messing up the fishing. 50% higher than normal runoff....that'll mess up Vancouver waters.

Hey FM, I hear the Springs are stacking up at the Cap, you hear anything about that or are you keeping it to yourself LOL JK !

But ........have you heard any truth to that ?

I am going to hit the Cap and QA this Wed and maybe the S Arm .... if nothing happening at least I'll give the old Stiper a good run.

Last week I did the same and broke a hydro fin on her but have trim tabs so off with the 1 and 1/2 Hydros and try just the tabs, if it performes as well will keep it that way and fill the holes, if not back to a set of Hydros (in addition to tabs ).

Your absolutley correct on the river run off what a mess and lots of crap in the water, so watch your legs boys !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey FM, I hear the Springs are stacking up at the Cap, you hear anything about that or are you keeping it to yourself LOL JK !

But ........have you heard any truth to that ?

I am going to hit the Cap and QA this Wed and maybe the S Arm .... if nothing happening at least I'll give the old Stiper a good run.

Last week I did the same and broke a hydro fin on her but have trim tabs so off with the 1 and 1/2 Hydros and try just the tabs, if it performes as well will keep it that way and fill the holes, if not back to a set of Hydros (in addition to tabs ).

Your absolutley correct on the river run off what a mess and lots of crap in the water, so watch your legs boys !

Hey sir-vivor, I wouldnt mind hearing what kind of difference you notice, better or worse, more or less stable etc...
I'd be interested in hearing, maybe start a new thread or pm me your opinion, I added bennett tabs this year and love them, but I see a few guys running both
thanks Tim

Back