Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Curious C-J, what kind of fight did this fish give you ? In general sockeye aren't too scrappy until they're right at the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice fishing CJ!
Saw u at otter friday eve and was a little jealous of your sweet eco setup!
Gums and teeth definately tell you all.blue backs on the chuck socks as well.pretty soon you will know what your playing early in the 'fight'.as well as spots,tail colour,scales...
The "expert"i was fishing with didnt even notice we had a chinook amongst our ho's.(thought it was a trophy,haha)
As mentioned time and time again there should be a test before issuing a license.especially for those who don't care or ask..too many humpy years small springs get misidentified.

A little fight, probably good for it's size. 3 short runs, no fuss at boat at all...easy enough just to pull it up on my lap.

Curious C-J, what kind of fight did this fish give you ? In general sockeye aren't to scrappy until they're right at the boat.

HB...you're pretty easy to spot out there with that sweet cabin!

A thought the mouth was the key too...but depending on which source I looked at I got different answers. DFO says (on the same page!): sockeye are "almost toothless" and simultaneously "the teeth are small and well developed in both jaws".

For Coho I see descriptions of: 1) "black mouth with white gums", 2) "mouth is light with a white gum line" and 3) "mouth is white...but tongue may be black"

Jeesh...glad one wild Coho could be kept right now or I would have just sent this one back because if I can't ID it in a couple of hours at home with all resources how would I do that on the chuck.

I know you guys can tell at a glance, but how?

Sorry guys to derail fishing reports thread:( Pics in a few when she thaws....

Nice fishing CJ!
Saw u at otter friday eve and was a little jealous of your sweet eco setup!
Gums and teeth definately tell you all.blue backs on the chuck socks as well.pretty soon you will know what your playing early in the 'fight'.as well as spots,tail colour,scales...
The "expert"i was fishing with didnt even notice we had a chinook amongst our ho's.(thought it was a trophy,haha)
As mentioned time and time again there should be a test before issuing a license.especially for those who don't care or ask..too many humpy years small springs get misidentified.

HB...you're pretty easy to spot out there with that sweet cabin!

A thought the mouth was the key too...but depending on which source I looked at I got different answers. DFO says (on the same page!): sockeye are "almost toothless" and simultaneously "the teeth are small and well developed in both jaws".

For Coho I see descriptions of: 1) "black mouth with white gums", 2) "mouth is light with a white gum line" and 3) "mouth is white...but tongue may be black"

Jeesh...glad one wild Coho could be kept right now or I would have just sent this one back because if I can't ID it in a couple of hours at home with all resources how would I do that on the chuck.

I know you guys can tell at a glance, but how?

Sorry guys to derail fishing reports thread:( Pics in a few when she thaws....

Just takes time..i was lucky to have fished the plentiful 80's and early 90's
Also butchered thousands of resort caught sporty fish.got good at it as a kid so i didnt have to clean boats;)
Gums what the teeth are set in,not to be confused with black lines either side of the teeth.

Stoked sept is turning on..lets fish ya'll

OK...not to flog this to death...here's the close up pics in case it helps anyone else out like myself. Again, really appreciate you vets helping out us rookies. I think I was confused mostly by the lack of spots on the tail or back and the conflicting mouth descriptions for a sockeye. If anyone sees me out in the yellow yak and has a sockeye on board would you flag me down for a sec so I can look at it:)

The gill rakers from my reading look like the dead giveaway...though this is pretty tough to see in the net! few, short gill rakers like this = predatory=coho. twice as many, much longer gill rakers = plankton feeder = sockeye.

tail small.jpgtail2 small.jpghead.jpghead1.jpghead2.jpgtongue.jpgrakers.jpg

Coho850.jpgSockeye850.jpg

Hopefully this will help,
Like Chinook Salmon, Coho also have black round spots along their backs above the lateral line, although not as many spots as a Spring has. On the tail, Coho have round black spots only on the upper half (Springs have spots on the upper and lower portion of the tail). They have white gums with a little black "trim" on the outside. The Caudel Peduncle is thick and there are white streaks on the upper and lower part of the fish where the Caudel Peduncle meets the tail.

Sockeye are blue-green above the lateral line and have no spots on their back or tail. They reach a maximum weight of up to 16 lbs but average commercial weight is 6 - 8 lbs. They have large scales and a narrow Caudel Pedunckle.

When socks are in the water they glow a different color its hard to explain but they look blue/purple/turquoise on the back. Just one thing that always jumped out at me. But I have little trouble telling what is a coho and most difficulty with telling ocean fresh socks and chums.

-KK

Three of us off the sooke harbour front this morning in deeper water. Three hatch and three wilds in short order. About 55 ft with orange / black glow spoon. Beautiful morning.

Out with my same spot East well away the pack of boats by our ourselves, and same gear limited out in 20 minutes. 2 hatch and two wild... A few pounds bigger than last week...Could not keep them off of the rods 80 feet and up. Came back in did a few tacks way down west at otter for springs. Pulled pin with weather building...Got absolutely snotty on way back to Cheanah marina from Otter to Secretary on way back... came into the bay was like glass.... usually it is other way around...

The springs are still around quite a few are hitting them in 400-500 feet when looking for coho.... Saw some at the table on way in...

Yes a few around did picked up these nice ones a 27 at 79 ft other a 15lber 49 ft on the andrew p spoon been getting quite a few springs on that spoon this year quite impressed, didnt really try for coho ...

good luck wolf

Attachments

• 10447801_10152507195004865_7099814817761062241_n.jpg
    10447801_10152507195004865_7099814817761062241_n.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 851
Out for late afternoon/evening to Otter again. Water a little spicy at first, calming down nicely for a beautiful sunset. Found another little Coho (aka skunk preventer), which I can confidently identify after today's lessons. It had spots on the upper lobe of it's tail which made it less confusing!

A hatch female, sexually mature like yesterday's but smaller and beautiful patches of blue-green on the back. Empty stomach again....still haven't caught a fish with anything in it's gut. This one took the anchovy at 25ft in 50 ft of water.

Fished the 400-500' mark out from Race Rocks yesterday. My girlfriend and I got our 2 wild and 2 hatchery coho within an hour and then dropped the pick for halibut. Picked up a nice 40 pounder pretty quick and then headed back to Pedder. Water was glassy the whole time. It was a rare day where everything went perfect. Cought exactly what we were trying for with no lost fish and no bycatch.

Attachments

• IMG_2175.jpg
    IMG_2175.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_2173.jpg
    IMG_2173.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 639
Out to Otter Pt for dawn. Fished 6:45-11:45 without a nibble. Saw one nice Spring caught though. I think the guy who convinced me to go out at first light was playing a joke...it's never paid off, though I keep setting that alarm!

Salome-pepe-le-pew-300.gif

Out to Otter Pt for dawn. Fished 6:45-11:45 without a nibble. Saw one nice Spring caught though. I think the guy who convinced me to go out at first light was playing a joke...it's never paid off, though I keep setting that alarm!

View attachment 14091
C-J, as far as the fish are concerned I think that first light thing is a myth too. I think the tides are far more important, vis-a-vis the location you plan to fish.
However, here in JDF the "normal" wind pattern is low to zero winds from dawn until mid-morning and sometimes later and higher winds in the afternoon. So we often go early for that reason, and I expect low winds are important to you on the yak as well!!:D

It is now time to focus on coho the springs are sitting ducks waiting for rain. They are getting darker and riper no need to kill the last one off now.
Go out and get your Coho they are out there and are getting bigger. :)

It is now time to focus on coho the springs are sitting ducks waiting for rain. They are getting darker and riper no need to kill the last one off now.
Go out and get your Coho they are out there and are getting bigger. :)

I am with you on that thought tigerprawn!
I think most guys are focusing on Coho and getting a few Springs as incidental catch???

Back