Was out Monday on my forum member Hali charter with Blue Wolf Charters. I will highly recommend this for any noobie or anyone struggling to actually catch a hali (that’s me). Learned a lot and had a great day out in the mud hole around 300ft. Was a bit slow with a few big doggy’s but then managed to get a couple Hali’s in the tub & a few crabs as well. Weather and conditions were excellent. Thanks Roy for a great day from all 4 of us. Dinner last night was awesome.
Roy's awesome. way to go. For anyone looking for knowledge on hali fishing and a great day on the water. Hit up Bluewolf Charters.

Went out of Pedder early yesterday and anchored off Constance. Ebb was strong at first but as soon as we could stay on the bottom it was two nice ones in an hour. Could have had our third just at the slack but the dogfish gods had their revenge and my 100 lb leader snapped off half way up. So just a reminder, check your gear carefully after every dogfish because nicks and abrasions happen. However, two nice halibut and an important lesson learned (okay relearned) is still a great day. Caught the halibut on 'Fairway' Pinks :).

Went out of Pedder early yesterday and anchored off Constance. Ebb was strong at first but as soon as we could stay on the bottom it was two nice ones in an hour. Could have had our third just at the slack but the dogfish gods had their revenge and my 100 lb leader snapped off half way up. So just a reminder, check your gear carefully after every dogfish because nicks and abrasions happen. However, two nice halibut and an important lesson learned (okay relearned) is still a great day. Caught the halibut on 'Fairway' Pinks :).
I use 130 lbs leaders for Halibut

Seen a lot of boats on anchor yesterday. No reports? Here’s mine. Out of pedder for 8am,went over towards Albert head to my chicken honey hole and someone was in it so had to find a new spot. 275’ of water current was a little strong but could stick a 2# on bottom. We were done by 1130 with a 123cm& a 105Great way to finish off my license year. Salmon and herring did the trick.

A few of us fished in Becher yesterday from our kayaks. Not a lot of bait and very few marks. One touch between us and it was a thump-and-gone situation. We did find some opal squid, though, which was cool.

Went out of Cheanuh on Monday morning, fished the bay up as far as Creke and Fraser, no action at all for us but did see one boat that caught one. Maybe the afternoon was better but we gave up around 1.

A few of us fished in Becher yesterday from our kayaks. Not a lot of bait and very few marks. One touch between us and it was a thump-and-gone situation. We did find some opal squid, though, which was cool.
Where opel squid is usually that’s where the real fish will be

Where and how did you find the opals ?
They were on the north side of the trench between Hoskyn and Lamb in 60-80'. We were jigging bait balls, thinking they were herring (some were) and I managed to snag an opal. Out came the squid jig and we managed to bring up about 15 or so. It became a lot easier to identify them on the sounder after a bit. They show up more as lines and discrete dots than the typical herring cloud. Good learning experience.

They were on the north side of the trench between Hoskyn and Lamb in 60-80'. We were jigging bait balls, thinking they were herring (some were) and I managed to snag an opal. Out came the squid jig and we managed to bring up about 15 or so. It became a lot easier to identify them on the sounder after a bit. They show up more as lines and discrete dots than the typical herring cloud. Good learning experience.
I love that you carry a squid jig... "just in case" thats awesome

It became a lot easier to identify them on the sounder after a bit. They show up more as lines and discrete dots than the typical herring cloud.
I want a sounder like yours - either that or I should learn how to set mine up

Reactions: JWS
I love that you carry a squid jig... "just in case" thats awesome
Haha, yeah, I've been trying to figure out squid for quite a while. Took me a minute to dig it out, but I'm glad I had it. They hit regular jigs, too, especially ones that have some glow on 'em. But the squid jig will nab more than one at once and is a bit more effective.

And, Lewy, I'm sure your sounder is way nicer than mine, ha. I'm just running a Striker 4 on the ol' kayak. Pretty basic, but a decent image.

We gave the ones we caught to my pal and he made calamari - sounds like it was pretty damn tasty. Hopefully there'll be some around the next time I get out.

Haha, yeah, I've been trying to figure out squid for quite a while. Took me a minute to dig it out, but I'm glad I had it. They hit regular jigs, too, especially ones that have some glow on 'em. But the squid jig will nab more than one at once and is a bit more effective.

And, Lewy, I'm sure your sounder is way nicer than mine, ha. I'm just running a Striker 4 on the ol' kayak. Pretty basic, but a decent image.

We gave the ones we caught to my pal and he made calamari - sounds like it was pretty damn tasty. Hopefully there'll be some around the next time I get out.
You are my kind of people. On my boat I keep all sorts of gear/lures for "just in case" (squid lure, sibiki rig and small jigging setup, dipsy diver in case my rigger fails etc)

You are my kind of people. On my boat I keep all sorts of gear/lures for "just in case" (squid lure, sibiki rig and small jigging setup, dipsy diver in case my rigger fails etc)
Haha, yes, that sounds familiar. The habit is a little cumbersome on a kayak... Hey, at least I've graduated to not bringing ALL the jigs I 100% needed to buy, just the 40 most important 😬.

Has anyone been having success in the Sooke area? Based on the rules it looks like I can try out my new downriggers in 19-3 and keep 1 hatch Chinook at least, plus whatever other Pink/Chum nibble as well.

Has anyone been having success in the Sooke area? Based on the rules it looks like I can try out my new downriggers in 19-3 and keep 1 hatch Chinook at least, plus whatever other Pink/Chum nibble as well.
Well I had zero luck on Friday in 19-3, although some other boats were successful going after halibut. It was awfully quiet out on the water, very few boats out anywhere

Back