Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Tiger prawn and I went out short order off of 450 to 550 we got into hatchery coho got 3 then a wild then zipped in for a troll fro spring Prawn got a nice 25 lb hatchery Spring.... fishing is defiantly heating up lots of coho to be found...

Good luck Wolf

Out last night for a couple of hours after work off Beechey Head in 550 ft of water. We got 2 coho and lost 2 at the boat plus 3 nice crab on the way in. 60 ft on Nog's needle.
T2

Was out yesterday in a friends DE fishing from the Light to PNP. Lots of action and catch and release for Coho and smaller Chinook if you are willing to go that far west. Had the place to ourselves. Kept 2 Coho and a couple of Chinook, the largest of which was an 11 lb Red, rather on the darker gold side and one likely a bit larger lost before we saw it. The white glow hootchie fished fast in the strong supermoon currant with a 32inch leader was hot and the chovies worked also. All at 40 to 100 feet.

Was also out front midday Sunday in our boat and kept a bright 13lb stubby football shaped white and a 6lb Sockeye. The Sockeye at 48 feet and the white at 91, both on white glow hootchies. Lots of Coho around and had a Coho double header, almost a triple as one of the three rods hit, released but did not stick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Rockfish...you must have been one of the very few boats I saw out in the slop in the afternoon? I tried Otter and Gordon's area between 2:30 and 6 with zero action and lots of waves washing over the yak completely. One other boat out at Otter for a little while but mostly all alone. I guess I need to suck it up an find a place to launch out further west...

4 nice big crab though...so at least something for dinner.

Hey Rockfish...you must have been one of the very few boats I saw out in the slop in the afternoon? I tried Otter and Gordon's area between 2:30 and 6 with zero action and lots of waves washing over the yak completely. One other boat out at Otter for a little while but mostly all alone. I guess I need to suck it up an find a place to launch out further west...

4 nice big crab though...so at least something for dinner.

Actually we trolled right past you off Otter/Gordon's Beach as we fished our way back home with the flood and waved at you. I assume you were in the yellow Yak and we were in the 16 Double Eagle with the blue top.

Ha...yes I remember now! Maybe too focussed on staying upright! I should have asked for some "unsuccessful newbie" tips since you obviously got into fish.

Ha...yes I remember now! Maybe too focussed on staying upright! I should have asked for some "unsuccessful newbie" tips since you obviously got into fish.

That day all our hits were well west of the light, nothing fishing back in the area where you were. Sometimes it is just being in the right location. Rather impressed that you guys go out in the Yaks in the slop. I guess if you stay off Gordon’s and it gets real ugly, the SSW or SW winds will blow you up onto the Beach and safety.

Fished from 6:30am until noon today with my son, trying to get a shot before the big easterly forecast by BWD. Flat calm to start so headed straight out from harbour mouth to 450’ for coho. One hit in two hours on a pink hootchie which we missed. Came back in and switched to anchovy. Picked up a nice hatchery at 86 feet in 150’ of water. Go figure? Stayed around this area but went deeper and managed a welcome 10lb Chinook at 146’ in 270’ of water. Fourth Chinook this year I have caught below 130’ in 250’ of water or more. It was a white. Wind was really going by the time we pulled the pin and it was a relief to get round Whiffen spit!!:)

Fished from 9:30 to 2 pm out between Beechey Head and Church Rock in 500' with riggers down at 55' and 65'. Picked up a couple Coho, missed something that popped one out of the clip and lost another. All of the action was before 11:30......dead slow after that. Saw a small pod of Killer whales working from Pedder Bay to Church rock in behind Bentinck Island......didn't think there was that much water in there !! It was a beautiful day on the water the entire time. We even managed to get a half dozen nice Crab from the traps on the way back in to boot....

Fished today 10-2. Lazy morning. Two coho in 550ft right out of the harbour within 30 minutes. One on a pink hootchie and the other one small purple spoon. Moved to Muir and got the bait wet. Fished deep 115ft. Took a while but got 2 springs in 125-130ft of water between Muir and otter. One was white, one red. Good day. At the ramp saw 2 guys who ran into a school of
Sockeye and had 6 to show for it

Fished Beechy Head Wednesday morning and hooked into lots of coho. Only one hatchery out of about 12 fish though. It seemed best between 400 - 500' of water and pretty much any depth worked but 50' was consitent. I had a couple chase my hoochie right back to the boat. No chinook or sockeye but no complaints. Killer whales and baitfish everywhere out there it seemed.

STILL good fishing to be had in sooke I would say very good right now landed 3 nice springs and 4 coho one being just a bit over 12 lbs( hes holding it on his left hand) size of the springs were 22,18,15 lbs you all know the colors I like by now and all were working....
and you dont have to go far for them nows the time to enjoy better fishing.... out in the deeper water the guys were saying it was crazy good for coho

good luck Wolf

Attachments

• 24263.jpg
    24263.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 782
Out to Otter 5-7pm. Two other boats out tonight but soon enough was alone out there again. Fall is good.

Yakked up this 22lb red female on anchovy at 40 ft in 65 ft on rigger on the first pass. Was just making a turn between 2nd and 3rd rocks to head back west and the rod bent over...she was a scrappy little thing, looks like she tangled with a net at some point in her life as well. A couple of good runs...a little sleigh ride for me...a couple of jumps at the boat and the old one hand net job...Empty stomach just like the last two.

20140911_191412.jpg

Fished 8-2 starting out off Secretary then in by Trap Shack then back out to 500'. 2 coho around 11:00 out off trap shack reef, 1 coho at 1:00 and a 9lb spring @2:00 offshore in 500'. There was no preference in spoon or bait, both worked between 60 - 80'. The coho are bigger than a week ago, 7-8lbs.

Out to Otter 5-7pm. Two other boats out tonight but soon enough was alone out there again. Fall is good.

Yakked up this 22lb red female on anchovy at 40 ft in 65 ft on rigger on the first pass. Was just making a turn between 2nd and 3rd rocks to head back west and the rod bent over...she was a scrappy little thing, looks like she tangled with a net at some point in her life as well. A couple of good runs...a little sleigh ride for me...a couple of jumps at the boat and the old one hand net job...Empty stomach just like the last two.

View attachment 14015

C-J, that is a great fish from a yak. Well done!!

Well done C-J--I was commuting in my yak between Esquimalt Anglers and Esquimalt lagoon about the same time last night but didn't have a line in the water--I guess i should have!
T2

C-J, that is a great fish from a yak. Well done!!

That is a good fish from anywhere, especially this year and getting this late into the season. Typically the big Chinook transients are really thinning out to less and less being caught about now. Well done indeed.

Nice fish C-J. 22lbs is bigger then anything I've caught this year. Looks like a darkie - maybe a sooke fish?

Edit: Saw your pics below C-J not a darkie at all! That's a beauty for this time of year (not that a slightly dark 22lbr wouldn't be a beauty I'll take either - but prefer a chromer like yours!)

Did anyone see the fire yesterday? Sounds like a house on the water near the trailer park went up in flames. Guys must have at least seen the smoke?

Back