Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

GDW...I don't know Sooke fish from Shinola...but here's another pic. That first one snapped by a beach bystander made her look darker...

IMG_8915.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8915.jpg
    IMG_8915.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,792
Last edited by a moderator:
Well done CJ.I really admire you yakers. It's something I'm definately keen on getting into down the road once my power
boat is back up and running.Such a cool way to go after a big spring.

No love tonight though. Back to Otter for same tide/current swing in evening. Not a sniff but a beautiful sunset once the SEasterly slowed down...

Out yesterday morning and as someone on 68 said "It's been a slow five minutes." Left during the bite on the 2nd timeline and came back after work. Brad at Beecher Bay said "There were 15 transients, a huge pod, in the bay about an hour ago." Not a sniff out on the 2nd last eve as C-J reported.

Went out yesterday from 10-12 before the wind got too much for my co-pilots. Fished straight out from harbor between 300-400' of water. good action for coho. I took the kidlet and the wheel for a while and my during that time, a good fish hit a 3.5" army truck spoon. Couple good runs and close calls while my wife played this fish before I netted a beauty 11.5 lb clipped hook nose. Best coho to hit my deck I believe.

10462407_10154575094950133_6658729041683205165_n.jpg

Nice looking Ho's hitting the docks right now. Tagged a few bigger Coho of late off the humps near Sherringham Point, 350' - 400' of water gear in and around 69', with the biggest one tipping the scales at 12 lbs. Also still tying into a few mid size Chinooks each trip in the usual spots, most have been off the feed of late as there stomachs have been noticeably empty. Spoons in the 3.5" range have been working consistently for the Coho. Chinook have been hitting anchovies with ridiculously long leaders (10') with purple being the color of choice for teaser heads.

Attachments

• IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0988.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 418
Fished at 600 feet straight out from the Bedford's this afternoon from 230 till 330. 2 smallish springs 7 to 8 lbs, maddie flasher and chovie at 100 feet. No ho's today, springs had large bait fish in stomachs. Beauty of a day out there, dropped two crab traps in front of the Fleming launch at 70 ft no crab to be had. First and last time trying there....

Yakked up my first Sockeye (?)... Trolled Otter again in the evening for tide/current change. Looked really promising for another spring I thought, but no takers. Headed out to 300ft off of the point to where the birds were feeding into some crazy standing waves swamping me one after another...then rod dipped, a little fight and a 5#er tailed into the yak. I wanted to stay on the school, assuming there was one, but wanted to get out of that weird water pattern more! Anchovy in purple haze at 40 ft on rigger.

Big props to "Dave from Metchosin" too who shared his crab after it looks like my traps were raided on Gordons...

IMG_8935sm.jpg

Inspired by Dave S's report I gave up on the deck and fished 4-7. Bonked two 'ho's, one clipped and one wild and a high teener marble straight out of sooke.
Super nice night on the water
image.jpg
image.jpg

CJ your fish is a Coho. Easiest way to tell the difference between the 2...Coho have the same prickly teeth as Chinook, while Sockeye are like pinks and early running Chum...no teeth as they are plankton feeders.

yeah...I thought CJ s fish was a coho. I could see white stripe on its mouth and the top tail with 2 or 3 black dots....coho definitely! nice bbq fish!

yeah...I thought CJ s fish was a coho. I could see white stripe on its mouth and the top tail with 2 or 3 black dots....coho definitely! nice bbq fish!

question ? are any of the sockeye clipped or hatchery that we are catching in sooke? I also have trouble telling the difference between sox and coho..........C.A.

C.askin, I have caught both out of sooke. The hatch socs are cultus lake fish and should be released as they are trying to rebuild that stock

question ? are any of the sockeye clipped or hatchery that we are catching in sooke? I also have trouble telling the difference between sox and coho..........C.A.

Very few marked Sockeye, they are clipped only for endangered runs. I believe the hatcheries in Fanny Bay, Bella Coola and Chilliwack are the ones left.

Thanks Profisher and others! Being inexperienced, I spent maybe an hour on google images looking at pics of jaws, tails etc. It definitely has small prickly teeth as you say, including some teeth on the "tongue". There are no spots on the tail anywhere, just silver streaks (which led me to "sockeye") and what looks like black dots on the back I thought were missing scales, which came off easily on the yak deck. Add that to dark red flesh, longish/leanish, more forked than blunt tail and very limp fish and I mistakenly thought I found a sock.

Either way I'm stoked and thankful for the help learning the species!

CJ your fish is a Coho. Easiest way to tell the difference between the 2...Coho have the same prickly teeth as Chinook, while Sockeye are like pinks and early running Chum...no teeth as they are plankton feeders.

Back