Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Out off Beechy hd this afternoon and got 2 marked and 2 unclipped coho @ 80 - 90' in 500' of water. Again green and white coho killer the go to lure. Also a few strikes on purple haze anchovy. The fish were smaller (4-6lb) than last week (7-8lb). Lots of ho's at the cleaning station.

Hey Guys.... check out http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?29396-Shaker-Reports

Also if anyone is interested freeze your juvenile salmon from stomachs and I will pick them up in the Vic area and ID them

If people who check stomachs want to keep records it would be great to know date, number of adult coho stomachs checked, and how many had juvenile salmon.

I am not formally researching this stuff.... but I am interested to get a rough handle on the incidence of predation by Coho on juveniles, and what those juveniles are, this stuff has not been too well documented in the past.

Cheers

Fished Pedder this am from 7 until 10. We had 7 hits and 4 coho in the boat with 3 hatchery and 1 wild. Equal distribution on copcar spoon and flasher with rubber bait in a head. Depths were 10, 35 and 60 ft in 500ft of water. Not the super fast fishing we expected but still very good. No salmon in any stomachs! One 5" herring in one and couple of 2" mostly digested herring - ish baits in another.

Fished out off Beecher 7-12 in deep water. Over 30 fish on and coho up to 11#. All the stomachs contained 7 inch juvenile salmon. One Coho was bright green on the belly. I've never seen that before.

That is a Fukushima Coho! :) 10 coho to 12 pounds in 3 hours this morning in 400 feet of water off the Tin Shed. Running all bait to use up this years supply before the season ends.

Excuse the ignorance...but assuming it's not a secret can someone tell me where the "Tin Shed" is? First mention of it on here since I arrived...

Looking for some deep water with coho potential this week not too far from a kayak launch point..

Thanks!

If its the same place as I have always assumed it to be. Then its between Otter pt and sooke bluffs. But I may be wrong as I fish east of there 99% of the time.

KK

Thanks KK...that might mean the Park-Isle Marine works down on the waterfront maybe? If so, that would be awesome since I can launch just west of there to run out pas the RCA to the deeper water!

CJ is the Park Isle building or the old Butlers. The Coho are off Otter as well...seen you out there the other day we got our 6 there and lost way to many as well. Paddle fast lol 3 mph is one of the ingredients as is changing directions...a lot. I'm always zig zagging and circling for Coho..so I like to stay away from other boats to have the room to move around.

CJ, yes the boat-works was an old dry-land sort;perhaps you could launch your kayak there...the end of the bluffs drops into a deep hole,120' contour on the tin shack side.

Thanks profisher for the tips...I thought I saw you out there on Monday am. I didn't get into any paddling that morning...though I do have a trolling motor I'll drop in tomorrow to get a little more speed going. I'll try to head out deeper off Otter one day this week, and off on the "Tin Shack" on another and see which is more productive...

Anyone ever stop and successfully jig for Coho when they find them?

Thanks sammyslabber for the bluffs tip. Looks like a bit of a trek out to 70 fathoms on here (maybe 2.5 km?) but this doesn't have much detail...

Screen Shot 2014-09-16 at 9.24.48 PM.jpg

CJ, yes the boat-works was an old dry-land sort;perhaps you could launch your kayak there...the end of the bluffs drops into a deep hole,120' contour on the tin shack side.

'Anyone ever stop and successfully jig for Coho when they find them?'

Yes jigging them works,casting a pink buzz - bomb too...especially when you spot coho schools attacking bait.

at times, my buddy and I had success picking up a couple or 3 decent coho very close to Gordon beach.....Other times, no coho can be found at the beach..venture out to the deeper water is a good idea to search for schools of coho.

The biggest coho I've gotten to my boat (had to be released as it was a wild) was on a jig while halibut fishing.

I was reeling in a dogfish or something and TWO upper teens coho chased my gear RIGHT to the boat. Literally a foot or two under water before they both turn away. WELL I happened to have a rod sitting right there with a jig on it. I dropped the jig in quickly and BOTH fish turned. The first one came by and tried to hit the jig but missed. The second fish was coming in but before he could get it the first fish turned on a dime and grabbed it!

Very exciting to see all that happen right on the surface and right beside the boat! (I just dropped the lure straight down I didn't cast out) Unforunatly it was a pittiful battle the fish didn't really fight just spun around for a bit then I released it. Sometimes coho can be so lame.

Anyways the whole point of this story is yes jigs work. I've caught a handful jigging its fun to try something different from time to time. It's not as effective as trolling though because you don't cover much ground.

The biggest coho I've gotten to my boat (had to be released as it was a wild) was on a jig while halibut fishing.

I was reeling in a dogfish or something and TWO upper teens coho chased my gear RIGHT to the boat. Literally a foot or two under water before they both turn away. WELL I happened to have a rod sitting right there with a jig on it. I dropped the jig in quickly and BOTH fish turned. The first one came by and tried to hit the jig but missed. The second fish was coming in but before he could get it the first fish turned on a dime and grabbed it!

Very exciting to see all that happen right on the surface and right beside the boat! (I just dropped the lure straight down I didn't cast out) Unforunatly it was a pittiful battle the fish didn't really fight just spun around for a bit then I released it. Sometimes coho can be so lame.

Anyways the whole point of this story is yes jigs work. I've caught a handful jigging its fun to try something different from time to time. It's not as effective as trolling though because you don't cover much ground.
And you let it go ... why is that ? ... you can keep em

Back