Sockeye Techniques

You can make a sort of "Googly-esque" sockeye hoochy by inserting a large glow bead into the head of a small pink squirt or a needlefish hoochy that has been shortened ...as in the pic below...

You can get a pretty large bead in there if you lube it first. (yep...the hook is crimped on the top one...just looks like that because there's some dirt or something behind the hook.....:))

002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts on time of day?

During the last opening I found best first couple of hours of light. Then really slowed down after about 8am

You can make a sort of "Googly-esque" sockeye hoochy by inserting a large glow bead into the head of a small pink squirt or a needlefish hoochy that has been shortened ...as in the pic below...

You can get a pretty large bead in there if you lube it first. (yep...the hook is crimped on the top one...just looks like that because there's some dirt or something behind the hook.....:))

View attachment 13518

What size hook are you using with that setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigger is better for sockeye hooks. Also found that the hook should be thick, not just big. Thinner hooks rip through the mouth too easy.
Once I switched to thick hooks I got a lot higher percentage of hookups into the boat.

I also find not power housing them in like a bass fisherman makes a massive difference. Ease them in and have the net guy hanging off the back of the boat. you gotta one scoop them just before they see the boat / net, if you miss then they go nuts and often come off (but fun for the fight if they don't pop).

Back to tides to fish from an earlier post. I usually try to fish them on a slack tide. What other ideas are out there?

Back to tides to fish from an earlier post. I usually try to fish them on a slack tide. What other ideas are out there?

I often find they are either biting on the flood or biting on the ebb. Sometimes you can't buy a bite all morning in an ebb and come afternoon and it's flooding they're biting like crazy. Of course slack is always a good starting point, slack is usually better then early morning IMO.

One thing I've noticed is when they are jumping and finnning like crazy I find they don't bite as well.

All kinds of stuff will catch sockeye.....

yes, but its a game of finding what works best, and how fast you can tub out. I love being home washing the boat before 11am.
little things will make a big difference.

yes, but its a game of finding what works best, and how fast you can tub out. I love being home washing the boat before 11am.
little things will make a big difference.

I agree! The little things make a huge difference! Scents? Haven't heard anyone talk about that...

Went through the spin 'n' glow phase for saltwater lures a few years back.

For sockeye and also Coho and a few Chinook lures.....

Didn't get the results I was looking for....

Was kind of like adding wheels to a mousetrap.....

Humm-- 10 sox, one coho, and one spring today for three of us-- all on spin-n-glow..... Works for me!!! LOL

Got a pic of the rig you were using? I've still got all kinds of spin 'n' glow rigs......

Cap'n Downriggin' in Washington had examples of them on his site.....and I've seen other sites that use them.....(particularly Alaskan late Coho fishers)

here you are-- its called an OBD special

While it may look life the bottom hook is attached to the top hook-- it isnt, its a standard double snell setup

Back