Sockeye Techniques

With the good news about the opening on Friday, I wanted to see if there are special areas/techniques/depths that guys use to load their boats with Sockeye. I've heard red gear, but that's about all I know, as I didn't have a boat 4 years ago.

Any advice, especially around Victoria/Sooke, is appreciated!

Use the search option...

Thanks for the advice Dereke. I had in fact tried that, given the last posts were 4 years old, it didn't return a result within a couple pages.

Thank you Seadna, that was helpful information. I'm sure I'm not the only person looking into this now, so a bump to the top will likely help others.

Pink squirts....lots of flash.....when one hits, much like tuna fishing....wait for the next. ;)

and only run as many rods as you can handle at the same time:p
its a blast once your on them

hey pippen couple months ago you posted pic of kone zone flashers where did ya get em ?

Pretty much everywhere that sells salt gear will have them....or should carry them.

Lots of alternatives for dummy flashers though that are easy to handle like a downrigger clip attached to a triangular inline flasher run off the ball. Basically you just want a lot of flash down there.

Kone Zones and other Daisy Chains are available at Nikka in Richmond.

yeah I made some up. nobody out here in the valley carries them . I bought a couple of the flashline 2's so how those work similar to the kone zone

The only Sockeye flasher I ever use and proven over the years to be the best I tried. What does it look like?

gonna run that off the ball you can see in the pic you can add at the end of it so I thought I might also run a rigger clip off it with a line on it

gonna run that off the ball you can see in the pic you can add at the end of it so I thought I might also run a rigger clip off it with a line on it

Just run a line about 8-10' above and another the sameish distant above if you are stacking rods....not off the end of the flasher rig.

The only Sockeye flasher I ever use and proven over the years to be the best I tried. What does it look like?

Ahh the 2010 mystery sockeye slaying flasher is finally revealed. There were hints back then but no picture.

It looks like a hungry salmon to me.

Think Alberni tactics will work down here? Either the black hooks or the standard red or green regular flasher with MP15/16 pink squirt with a few legs cut off, 24-36" leaders, stacked rods. Tho I'm scared of running stacked rods off sooke as the rips and currents seem like they would tangle gear in a second? If I try id run further apart then in alberni maybe 8'?

Ah Ha Rollie's giving away his trade secrets again:D

fish stalker I go even shorter on the leaders 18-24" max to the squirt, and slow slow slow on the troll.

Fishin Solo you can just clip a couple regular flashers together with maybe5-6' of mono between them and off the ball
no need for special flashers, just need lots in the water, you want to mimic a school and once they start to follow
watch out it can be fast and furious, quads are a blast

Back