Sockeye Techniques

not from my experience, usually good size to them, actually can't remember the last small one i caught there when fishing sox. some real nice hogs.

In 2010 we were using a hootchie that seemed to do it all--the sox loved it, we caught lots of springs on it and it caught coho too. It worked so well I gave up on bait for a few weeks. I can't recall the number but it was a white hootchie with a couple of sets of hot pink stripes that run across the body. I still have a couple kicking around in my tackle box so I'll have to resurrect that one and give it a whirl.
T2

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2010 we were using a hootchie that seemed to do it all--the sox loved it, we caught lots of springs on it and it caught coho too. It worked so well I gave up on bait for a few weeks. I can't recall the number but it was a white hootchie with a couple of sets of hot pink stripes that run across the body. I sill have a couple kicking around in my tackle box so I'll have to resurrect that one and give it a whirl.
T2
gibbs oax15r- uv pink side stripe think that's the one . picked up a couple last night

For those who don't think the right flasher is key...well maybe true in years like 2010 when you could snag your limit in the ocean. But I'll put money on my ability to be limiting or close to it when others are getting none or only one in the lean times. Well that is in the past because we are not open during the lean times anymore. That flasher has the same colours as ocean sockeye and when I have a bunch of them spinning down there I'm my own school of sockeye and others join in.

Thanks Rollie for your input on flasher colour... I have always felt the flasher is another competitor salmon, if you know what I mean - and always wondered why the red flasher is/was often used for socs ( since its colour only imitates the sockeye colour when you are eating the soc !! lol)

you don't even need dummies and running 3 dummies plus 2 lines stacked is way over-kill. It's supposed to be fun and untangling 5 flashers is not fun.

Yup-some people like to make things as complicated as possible-if you're doing it right and running your gear through a school of biters you'll get fish.

Hey Carl, I think the point of why using dummies are used is maybe being missed a bit here - its not that you MUST have multiple dummies to catch sockeye but because having multiple dummies provides more flash it will be more effective at keeping more socs following you and therefore provide more bites and for a longer period.
The result: faster limits /more socs in limited time....and when its slower is especially good to have. This is especially preferred for guides who may only get 4 hrs fishing time on a typical 5 hr charter and obviously would like to limit all 4-6 customers AND may also want to have time ( during the alloted charter) to switch over to full-on hard core chinook fishing after getting close to the soc limit.

Also when you get good at running dummies, tangles with them aren't usually an issue (other than your rods/lines having too many double/triples/quads crossing all over the place lol ) because you had dummies attracting so many fish. It does however take a longer time to clear dummies on rigger/s though if you want to clear room to land a big chinook hog with no riggers out)

The reason guys have tangle is they run them to close to dummy. match the length back to how far you put your gear up...It won't tangle. I can't see over killing does any harm... I only use two dummies a side and just two rods. Super annoying with 3-4 rods I find.

check out the 'six pak' from Luhr Jensen. a mini 'dredger' idea that has lots of flash. I have yet to put it in the water but it appeals far more than running a bunch of dummies just to get more flash. big game boats have been running dredgers for decades for exactly this same reason, check it out.

check out the 'six pak' from Luhr Jensen....

3560_6_Pac_Schoolie_HERO.gif

There's another similar idea from a Great Lakes outfit called Big Weenie they have some great products this is their Grease Trap

post-144605-0-66831300-1365952062.jpg

Does anyone have any insight/experience into how important tides are to Sockeye? Does it seem to matter to them like it does Springs?

Thanks Rollie for your input on flasher colour... I have always felt the flasher is another competitor salmon, if you know what I mean - and always wondered why the red flasher is/was often used for socs ( since its colour only imitates the sockeye colour when you are eating the soc !!

I think back in the red and green hotspot flasher days the thinking was that the sox like the red lures so a bit more red was a good thing...... Now times have certainly changed but it's hard to teach an old dog......

funny how it doesn't seem to matter to the sockeye, they take the red or pink mb's and mp's at 20' or 120'. depending on the years the best numbers to use always vary a bit, glow heads glow stripes mb2's mb15's etc.

funny how it doesn't seem to matter to the sockeye, they take the red or pink mb's and mp's at 20' or 120'. depending on the years the best numbers to use always vary a bit, glow heads glow stripes mb2's mb15's etc.

Exactly, for example yesterday I had three different hootchies and had a triple header once we went through a school.RT 6 Socks.jpg

Well it seems that for the most part it turns grey... http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/Home/Topics/FishandFisheries/Details.aspx?PostID=1702

And while I did scuba, before my wetsuit shrank (!) I still remember that blues and even greens were predominant after 40ft. But TOTALLY disappear ? Not completely. Coraline algae seemed to retain some red colour a bit deeper---

If you have a pink squirt and an orange squirt and you send them both down to 100' they will still look different - even if they do lose color. So ya maybe they turn grey, but they will be different color of grey and the fish will be able to tell that there is a difference.

To imply that all these colors just turn into one shade of grey when down deep is completely false. All these articles about color theory are ********, If it was true then only blue colored lures would take fish at depth, but we all know that color does make a difference.

All these articles about color theory are ********,

Nothing better than a man who is firm in his belief even if science tells us otherwise---- Whatever qrasshopper!...LOL

If you have a pink squirt and an orange squirt and you send them both down to 100' they will still look different - even if they do lose color. So ya maybe they turn grey, but they will be different color of grey and the fish will be able to tell that there is a difference.

To imply that all these colors just turn into one shade of grey when down deep is completely false. All these articles about color theory are ********, If it was true then only blue colored lures would take fish at depth, but we all know that color does make a difference.

Clearly you have never been deeper than the bottom of your bath tub! Never mind - you stick to your guns eh?

we all have our 'superstitions' regarding what works and what doesn't. the only thing that matters is if you are not catching change! if we actually understood what the fish were keying on, there would be no fish :)

what I have learned, however, by looking at stomach contents is SIZE matters. the forage fish these salmon are keying on start out pretty small and mature over the months. changing the size of your offerings can make a big difference in consistent success.

then there are days that I can't explain. the last trip out was epic. 14 hookups, with 6 doubles. hard time keeping them stuck but released 4 unclipped and put 4 in the box. all Chinook in less that 2 hours. what I was dragging around defies logic, but it worked that particular morning.

that in contrast to the flies I have tied representing scaled pilchard and sand lance. here, color and length do make an actual difference on particular days. so try changing up if things are not working, the only good advice you actually need.

Back