Rapala Makes an Islander Knockoff

quote:Originally posted by searun

Load it up with line, no comparison. The tinny sound goes away and it sounds like a Hardy drag.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Thanks Pat, We'll give it a try, and do have a couple for sale if people are looking. Can be mailed out easily.

Tofino B.C.'s most recommended Fishing Outfitter.
www.tofinofishing.com

quote:Originally posted by searun

Fished it extensively last season with no issues whatsoever, and the best part is the drag/clicker sounds just like the old hardy reels...a sweet sound indeed.[8D]

Searun

Hey Searun...question for you. Judging by the size of the arbor (from what I can see in the pics) I would assume it has a retrieval rate more similar to the MR2 as opposed to the MR3?

quote:Originally posted by tofinofish
Thanks Pat, We'll give it a try, and do have a couple for sale if people are looking. Can be mailed out easily.

Tofino B.C.'s most recommended Fishing Outfitter.
www.tofinofishing.com

Hey Jay...

You got mail on the "other site". ;) I find when I try and "e-mail" off this site with the connection to a webmail account of mine that messages can get lost in cyberspace.[:I]

Yep, pretty much exactly same action and specs as MR2. Same cleaning and oiling requirements as the MR2, and it is important that you OIL the cork after a week of hard fishing or the drag will slip exactly the same as the MR2 will. Simple to do, screw driver, unbolt and oil then clean up and back together in all of 2 minutes.

Big difference was the drag, we made sure it screamed like a hardy...unlike the Islander.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Wondering if anyone is familar with the TFO reels and there comparision to the North Coast. I'm switching over four to the North Coast from the TFO's.

2550 Pursuit CC

TFO Pacific was a cheap knockoff of Islander MR2, no comparison.
I had one for a couple seasons and never solved the line creep issue.
drag was either too tight or too loose.

can't comment on the NC-1, but i'd like to try one also

No creep issues. I was lucky enough to field test it last summer. The reel is almost exactly the same as the MR-2. Only thing you need to do is make sure the cork is oiled properly, which is exactly the same as the MR-2. I have several of both Islanders and now the North Coast and it stands up at a much cheaper price point.

Searun

th_067.jpg

FYI A & N boutique has the North Coast currently on sale at $219.99 reel only, the rod combo is on at $299.99. Guy I chatted with when picking up two advised they have about 20 per store.

2550 Pursuit CC

Hey Searun. I was using a Rapala North Coast I won in a contest on the weekend. Nice reel except the drag was always creeping on me. Any advice on how to fix this?

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

Hi, Guys the rci Rapala is nice but that screaming sound is a great seal attractor. I still prefer Tfo pacific 2 its worth the extra bucks and cheaper than Ilanders, but thats my opinion. There are others. Good luck and lets see how they stand up, I find they are not that smooth but I am no expert. Lets talk about them again soon.

I greased up the clicker and put backing and 300 yards on mono on my Rapala North Coast and it is noisey no more - It is almost too quiet now!

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

Hey Searun. I was using a Rapala North Coast I won in a contest on the weekend. Nice reel except the drag was always creeping on me. Any advice on how to fix this?

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

Sorry missed this....the cork drag needs to be oiled. There are instructions in your reel box on how to do the oiling. Essentially a few drops on the cork, rub in with your finger so the cork is moist and that will solve it. Island is exactly the same. You need to do this once a week. if you don't you will get the creep and the drag will actually skip. I had a bad case of that on my Islander when I was out for a week and had no way to get proper reel oil..ugly.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Picked up 2 at Wholesale in Edmonton today!
100 yds of Dacron backing, 300 of Magna 30 lb. = $242.50 each

I'll wait for the lft. handers and pick-up a couple more.
Hope they make a 3 knock-off one day, lft hand of course, or at least convertable.

Picked two up and hit Ucluelet this week. First reel locked up after two days fishing, being run down on the down rigger. Second reel did exactly the same thing on a 38 spring at Great Bear. Do not know if it's a bad batch, but for me I'm spocked at running them again. Back to the store they will go. Nice looking reel, but if there performance is anything close to what I've experieced, THEY ARE JUNK.

2550 Pursuit CC

oh you might have just scared me away. i was going to pick one up this weekend but after that review..... what other tried and tested reel could i pick up for a couple hundred bucks???

Back