Rapala Makes an Islander Knockoff

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Trophy XL QR 4.5 at Berry's bait $199.99 starting monday for a week

Hey RS.....is in this coming Monday that the sale starts? For some reason I thought it was this past Monday and was on my way out today to get one of the QR 4.5's??

I guess I could just give em' a call too. ;)

Cheers,

Scott

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Nope, it starts June 14 -20
i called them to confirm and it is the QR4.5 model
for $199.99

:)

Awesome!! I know where I am headed on Monday!

Thanks for the info! [8D]

Talked to someone there a few days back and he said they would be available to buy off the website too. The shipping to campbell river was about 12 bucks I think.

or maybe i should just get off my wallet and buy an islander! but i only make it out to the chuck once a year.....decisions......decisions.

quote:Originally posted by Secretpursuit

Picked two up and hit Ucluelet this week. First reel locked up after two days fishing, being run down on the down rigger. Second reel did exactly the same thing on a 38 spring at Great Bear. Do not know if it's a bad batch, but for me I'm spocked at running them again. Back to the store they will go. Nice looking reel, but if there performance is anything close to what I've experieced, THEY ARE JUNK.

2550 Pursuit CC

We have never seen that issue before - could you pm me with the details. We will want to get those back and take them apart to find out what the issue is. Clearly not acceptable, but the first problem we have encountered with over 600 on the market. Need to know where you are returning them so we can get them quickly and figure out what happened. Did you apply any oil before use? There is an instruction sheet that needs to be followed. I service my reels (North Coast and Islander) weekly.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Searun

Sent you an email. Not an oil issue, metal to metal contact, appears associated wity the clicker.

:)

2550 Pursuit CC

Get your self a good old M1 reel and save your money, these reels are good / cheap and can bounce around the boat all day and nobody will steal them. :D

quote:Originally posted by doger5

Get your self a good old M1 reel and save your money, these reels are good / cheap and can bounce around the boat all day and nobody will steal them. :D

X2[8D]

quote:Originally posted by doger5

Yup.....but you also have to spend your day with your fingers glued to the drag. "New" washers or not.....I would rather use a 2x4 with mono rapped around it than an M1.[:p]

quote:Originally posted by TheBigGuy

Do the Trophy reels require weekly oiling the same as the Rapala and Islander reels.
They more than that i am in retail.

Any more word on these reels are they working out for people? Or have more people been having issues?

I bought one of these reels from A/N before going to Ukie last week it made three trips to the bottom on the rigger before the clicker stopped working, I took it apart on land and found that the clicker spring had popped off. I reinstalled it and took it out the next day and the same thing happened. The next day I tightened up the spring loops and it worked for two days before the spring broke. I fortunatly had my shimano for a back up and was able to fish for the week. I'm going to see if i can get a better spring, if not its going back. As a post note my friend brought his new trophy tyee reel and had no problems with it even after he had a rod holder brake and it made a trip to the bottom.

Thanks for those posts, I just happened to find one at Wholesale Sports so I scooped it. Inside it looks similar to the MR2's and overall it appears to be a decently skookum reel. But I have yet to use it. Hopefully it all pans out. I'll post more after I've fished with it for awhile.

Back