Rapala Makes an Islander Knockoff

Labman2 - mine held out for the rest of my fishing season no problem with the new clickers.
I'd so send those reels in. It's free to get it done, the inside is much more skookum and the last thing you want is to have to send it in DURING fishing season. I'm happy with mine.

Thanks Haze, I just emailed Rappala to get the info on where/how to get them upgraded.
Anyone hear anymore about a left handed version?

So I got a response this morning already.

"We will be pleased to send you the upgraded spring Please forward your mailing address"

Best regards
John

Nothing about sending the reels or original springs in!!!!!

the 'original' loop, made by danielson, were great stout reels. now loop is built in asia so i am not so sure as to just what you will come up with as a result. there used to be a danielson distributor for north america in southern oregon, but that has also gone away. now you have to deal directly with danielson and the prices just went through the roof. i'd be interested if anyone here has a source for the danielson produced reels and parts.

So I got a response this morning already.

"We will be pleased to send you the upgraded spring Please forward your mailing address"

Best regards
John

Nothing about sending the reels or original springs in!!!!!

I just got the same e-mail this morning.
It's good they will send them, as there isn't a dealer within 8 hours drive from me

They are junk, had three last year one left, the handles kept falling off usually during a battle with a chinook, you get what you pay for in equipment I guess.
It looks nice but I will never purchase another.

When you say the handles kept falling off, did the stud break out of the reel body or did the small screw holding the handle on back out?

Ive had problems with knobs as well, went to Islander knobs on one, will upgrade the other before the season. I also don't like how touchy the drag is. Other than that, they're ok.

When you say the handles kept falling off, did the stud break out of the reel body or did the small screw holding the handle on back out?

THe small screw pulls the threads out of the aluminum body. Screws are waaay too small for aluminum threads.

I had an Email conversation with the Rappala Rep.indicating some of the problems with the reel and refered him to this post:

Morning John:
I wasn't pointing out the site as a comment on the N.C. being a knock off.
So it looks like someone else's, that's okay. I was referring you to the post to enlighten you to the many complaints/problems that some of the guys are reporting.
Did you read the posts?
Are any of the comments, such as an issue with the handles and the one you acknowledge with the Clicker springs valid?
Respectfully;
Mark

Thanks Mark:
Yes we are aware of the issues with this reel. We now have redesigned the clicker spring, change the handle mounting among other refinements.
Latest news as these changes are very positive and have been accepted by the fishing community

Best regards
John

Is the handle upgrade available to existing reels such as the ones I have, and if so will it be a warranty covered item?
Would it be acceptable to post these improvements on that forum?
Thanks again John;
Mark

Hi Mark:
Unfortunately the handle improvement is only available on the new production. We will warrant any handle issues if they occur on the current units in the field.
Yes, by all means if you would like to post these improvements it will be helpful.
Enjoy your week

Best regards
John

I believe they have a new spring coming and will be having the flat paddle version handles also.... :)

sent mine in this summer in july over night ups with the assurance they would send a replacment back once mine arrived over night.Well mine arrived by noon the next day their time following ups tracking . This was all the result of me shipping it in to them earlier in the year because of spring issues they shipped it back saying repaired with extra springs imagine my surprise when spooling a few days before my ukee trip to find out they sent the reel back with parts but not having fixed the problem threaded shaft spring attaches to had torn threads out.So after assurance and a second ups charge for the same reel my reel never arrived until the last day of my ukee trip and then the spring let go on the first day of use at the big q. They are a nice looking reel but have problems and customer service was not impressive

sent mine in this summer in july over night ups with the assurance they would send a replacment back once mine arrived over night.Well mine arrived by noon the next day their time following ups tracking . This was all the result of me shipping it in to them earlier in the year because of spring issues they shipped it back saying repaired with extra springs imagine my surprise when spooling a few days before my ukee trip to find out they sent the reel back with parts but not having fixed the problem threaded shaft spring attaches to had torn threads out.So after assurance and a second ups charge for the same reel my reel never arrived until the last day of my ukee trip and then the spring let go on the first day of use at the big q. They are a nice looking reel but have problems and customer service was not impressive

Wow...that's terrible service! Being from Victoria (View Royal) and wanting a reel for just me, really leaning towards the MR3 now. Local product and I can personally take it into their shop should I have any issues with it, hopefully not at that price though!!! :)

i also have two of the trophys.these reels i ve had for the last four years and other than oiling and cleaning have had no problems.Young family right now and just cant afford the jump to the islanders one day my first will probaly be pink and a gift to me from mom and my two girls

Pink

i also have two of the trophys.these reels i ve had for the last four years and other than oiling and cleaning have had no problems.Young family right now and just cant afford the jump to the islanders one day my first will probaly be pink and a gift to me from mom and my two girls

Screaminreels funny you should say pink.I have 4 islanders I run all 4 most of the time 3 gold and one pink bought the pink one for my wife so she would feel more at home on the boat.The funny thing is when shes not on the boat and there's 3 buddies all guys they fight over who gets the PINK reel.It doesn't matter what rod what rigger what spot or what gear that reels out fishes all the other ones ,LOL So I stared using pink for bottom fish its like magic no clue why. Just a funny note about pink that's all

Screaminreels funny you should say pink.I have 4 islanders I run all 4 most of the time 3 gold and one pink bought the pink one for my wife so she would feel more at home on the boat.The funny thing is when shes not on the boat and there's 3 buddies all guys they fight over who gets the PINK reel.It doesn't matter what rod what rigger what spot or what gear that reels out fishes all the other ones ,LOL So I stared using pink for bottom fish its like magic no clue why. Just a funny note about pink that's all

LOL...that's it I'm buying a pink one for my wife too. That girl can hardly catch a fish with a net let alone a rod and reel, but if it brings us luck, I'm all for it! :eek:

Absolute garbage reels...... ruined two seperate west coast trips......got my money back and bought two islanders.

Dave, The first trip i was putting the Rod off the back with an 8oz weight and I was about 8 pulls out and it just went Clunk....locked up. Apparently it was a 75 cent washer that was undersized and Army and Navy knew about it because they had many returned. Fast Fwd to the second time trying to use it....freshly back from repair. This reel is glistening new, and i cranked down the tensioner and line would just peel out. An absolute joke. I never even had 1 chance to fight a fish on it.. I went into Army and Navy and TEED OFF on the manager who wouldn't give me my money back after the first season.. She did this year....Just one man's story.

Back