Rapala Makes an Islander Knockoff

I am an Islander reel cynic, in terms of function over fashion. They are ***y beasts and I appreciate the quality and workmanship, but is there enough functional improvement to justify spending $500 more than a cheapie? It is a spool on an axis, not exactly an engineering marvel. Does it do much more than a Peetz reel did 40 or more years ago? And those are made of wood! Are they just prettier and the new fancy gizmo to show off at the dock?

Now, all that being said, I secretly lust after their shiny sleekness and ultra smooth action. I would not turn one down if gifted... really this is mostly about my cheapness.

So...if presented with a half price knock off, with most of the function and most of the quality, I might consider parting with a few bucks for a well-deserved treat. $500 is nearly a flight somewhere warm....not going to happen for a reel, when a $50 one works just fine. However, $200 is not that far out of the "play money" or "gift to yourself" realm...:D

When are these going to be sold? How much and where? Group discount, count me in.

Once upon a time I was a pro staff for Normark (might still be) Guess I should give Tom a call!

Thanks will pass along the interest in LH drive. I am fortunate to be a pro staff field tester for the Normark products, and a convert and firm believer in their approach which is to be sure they got it right before it hits the streets.

Like many on this forum, I also have several Islanders, and their product is very good as well, so no knocking them whatsoever. For what you get their price is fair.

The North Coast reel is a very good compromise between price and function. It performed every bit as good as the Islanders, so very good value for your dollar.

Just remember to follow the instructions carefully on care card enclosed in each reel. Like the Islanders, they need to be cleaned and cork drag oiled on a regular basis to ensure good operation.

Enjoy.

Searun

Bucky's in Duncan has them in!
Handled one today - very slick..
as soon as i have 299 in my pocket ill be picking one up,
so it could be a while :D

I agree with juandesooka: although I often find myself lusting after the Islander's slick appearance, my trusty 5" Peetz has been screaming and hauling in fish for decades, and my wife loves her 6" Peetz because the larger spool size makes it easier for her to retrieve line after a long run. At 1/4 the price of the cheapest snazzy aluminum reel it's hard for me to justify the expense.

Paul

Hey yall.

Thanks Bodie and JuanDeSooka...it ain't no secret that I'm in on the Peetz wagon too.
Tried the mucho expensive local aluminum ones and was VERY happy to find that they aren't any nicer to reel in than a local mahogany one!
Otherwise I might have had to save up!
Plus, it is really rewarding to hear the clicker sound that takes you back to being out with dad.

Also, the Peetz gets a tune up every year or so, this equates to one tune every 30 or so days on the chuck.

my.25

Smiley.

Capital Iron has them On Sale for $299.99 until Jan 1st.

billreidsalmon.jpg

Wholesale Sports in Nanaimo...$299 regular price includes a rod (I think reel only is $240). The drag sounds horrible...kind of like the ringing of an old school alarm clock. Too bad, cause they look sweet.

Wholesale Sports in Nanaimo...$299 regular price includes a rod (I think reel only is $240). The drag sounds horrible...kind of like the ringing of an old school alarm clock. Too bad, cause they look sweet.

quote:Originally posted by Degree of Freedom

Wholesale Sports in Nanaimo...$299 regular price includes a rod (I think reel only is $240). The drag sounds horrible...kind of like the ringing of an old school alarm clock.
Some heavy grease liberally applied should tone that down. ;)

billreidsalmon.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Degree of Freedom

Wholesale Sports in Nanaimo...$299 regular price includes a rod (I think reel only is $240). The drag sounds horrible...kind of like the ringing of an old school alarm clock.
Some heavy grease liberally applied should tone that down. ;)

billreidsalmon.jpg

Man you guys take all the joy out of a screamer. If they make a reel with an amplifier on the clicker I'll be the first in line-seals with selective hearing be damned!!!

Man you guys take all the joy out of a screamer. If they make a reel with an amplifier on the clicker I'll be the first in line-seals with selective hearing be damned!!!

Back