Rapala Makes an Islander Knockoff

Does anyone know where you can buy the new Rapala mooching reel?

Is it possible to buy just the reel or do you have to buy the rod and reel combo only?[?]

Long live wild salmon!!!

I checked direct with Normark, and the North Coast is currently not convertable to left hand. They would be interested to know how many folks would be willing to purchase to get a sense of the market. Obviously there has to be a cost/benefit to re-tooling the factory for a left hand production run.

As for colour it is not black - rather a smoke silver just as the picture posted depicts.

Searun

Not sure that it’s a good idea to stress the loudness of the clicker in reel design, the quieter the better down here in seal country. No point in ringing the dinner bell anymore than necessary. It would be nice to have the option to be able to turn off the clicker all together while still maintaining the drag setting.
I am left handed and I know wolf was joking but he is right. I have fished with right handed reels all my life and am so use to it I can fish left or right equally. I leave my MR3’s set to right handed so other people can use them.

quote:Originally posted by searun

They would be interested to know how many folks would be willing to purchase to get a sense of the market.

You can put me down for a couple should they offer the lefty option. Although I can and do use either, I prefer (for myself that is) to retrieve with the left - always have, always will. Contrary to what Rockfish does, I intentionally set my MR3's to left retrieve simply for those clients and buddies who come along that prefer it that way. The MR2's suffice quite well for the righties in the crowd.

But, I would be willing to try this new one, again, were it to come with both options. And, I think I can likely find a way to muffle down the clicker a tad if they are too loud.

Cheers,
Nog

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin
And, I think I can likely find a way to muffle down the clicker a tad if they are too loud.

Cheers,
Nog

Nog....do you just turn up the Nana Mouskouri louder on the boat's stereo?? ;) [:p] :D

quote:Originally posted by Pippen
Nog....do you just turn up the Nana Mouskouri louder on the boat's stereo?? ;) [:p] :D

20.gif
1.gif

Good One Pippy!
I do suppose I could download some of her chit just to play at full volume anytime my rig gets near yours! [^]

Otherwise I'll simply have to stick with the Old Time Rock 'n Roll Buddy!

Cheers,
Nog

Although I'm a lefty, I would rather have the "freefall" feature opposed to reversible to left. just my 2 cents. Are there any reels that do both?

Seen them for sale at Hub Sports in Abootsford, look and feel like a nice reel. But dont get me wrong hard to beat an Islander

The reel does have a free wheel action, so you can turn the clicker off. The clicker isn't too loud in my opinion its just right. I hear you with the seals, but frankly I don't think its the reel they key in on, rather it is the angler excitedly playing the fish at the back of the boat. They get used to looking for that. One little trick if you see them coming is to free spool the fish so it can swim away from the seal, which often works. When we were up in the Charlottes the guys were losing a few fish every tide to them. We showed our guide that you can free spool and get the fish back so long as you see the seal coming and have time to react. Of course it wont work if the fish is played out, but with a relatively green fish it works most times.

quote:Originally posted by searun

The reel does have a free wheel action, so you can turn the clicker off. The clicker isn't too loud in my opinion its just right. I hear you with the seals, but frankly I don't think its the reel they key in on, rather it is the angler excitedly playing the fish at the back of the boat. They get used to looking for that. One little trick if you see them coming is to free spool the fish so it can swim away from the seal, which often works. When we were up in the Charlottes the guys were losing a few fish every tide to them. We showed our guide that you can free spool and get the fish back so long as you see the seal coming and have time to react. Of course it wont work if the fish is played out, but with a relatively green fish it works most times.

Would that work with a flasher though? Pretty sure that slows them down quite a bit...

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

*NEW VIDEO*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEzuNC59ck

I don't think the cue off the reel clicker either. There are a couple of things that do tip them off...they definetly use the sound of the engine while following you around waiting for a meal. Slowing the engine to play the fish is one they pick up on. They also can detect the vibrations in the water of fish as it struggles on the line. I've even seen how they seem to know that a flasher revolving in the water means don't bother...but if the flasher stops turning...feeding time!

Works better without flasher for sure, but I have been successful with larger fish while using a flasher. Best solution is a gun, but that would get my boat surrounded by green peacers. [}:)]

Searun

Thanks Highliner, I will pass that along to the guys in R&D. They are getting the feedback, but want some notion as to how much demand there would be for a left hand unit.

Searun

Does anyone know what make and model the pink level wind reel is? [:X]

Any chance of discount for a group buy for people on the board? Good chance for mass testing.

Back