Port Renfrew Reports Summer 2012

I'm planing a trip up to renfrew this weekend. I'm looking for opinions where to fish. Inshore or out at the bank. I've got 21 foot trophy, but never been out to the bank. I don't want to waste my time and fuel if the salmon fishing would be more productive inshore. If I head out the banks anyone have any tips where to fish halibut/salmon? I've got the closure area programmed into the gps so I know where not to go. Where is the "east point" or "chicken ranch"? any help would be great! thanks.

Steve

I'm planing a trip up to renfrew this weekend. I'm looking for opinions where to fish. Inshore or out at the bank. I've got 21 foot trophy, but never been out to the bank. I don't want to waste my time and fuel if the salmon fishing would be more productive inshore. If I head out the banks anyone have any tips where to fish halibut/salmon? I've got the closure area programmed into the gps so I know where not to go. Where is the "east point" or "chicken ranch"? any help would be great! thanks.

Steve
"I'm looking for opinions where to fish." Based on that comment, you might just want to follow a couple of boats called "No Bananas" or "Last Chance"! :)

Was out fishing Camper the day before the derby and caught 3 springs, a 13,18, and a 34!! Now i was in the derby so it was a little disappointing to get the big one one day early as our boat did not get a big one in the derby. We did manage to pick up 11 Springs tho between 8-17 pounds. Fishing was a little slow and really wet out there. Was a great derby and good to spend time with dad and some buddys.

Probably covered before but could not find with quick search...

Can anyone recommend a good source for weather predictions for Renfrew? Inshore wind predictions.

Thanks
Tips

Thanks Kelly.
Do you have one that says it is going to be calm and sunny for the next couple of days? LOL

Tips

Probably covered before but could not find with quick search...

Can anyone recommend a good source for weather predictions for Renfrew? Inshore wind predictions.

Thanks
Tips
I find the best one is surf-forcast.com. Tells wave height and wind etc

Just back from 3 days in Renfrew. Day 1 on the bank and loads of springs in the 8-18 LB range Tomic Spoons did the trick for us and outfished the flashers/hootchie. Day 2 on the beach and lost a couple in the low 20s to a seal at Camper and lost another to a leader issue. Cutpluggers were outfishing Anchovy almost 3-1 but I had no herring. Threw out a large Tomic 602 Spoon out the back (no flasher) to try to mimic the herring in the area and landed a 32LB just off the rockpile. Day 3 back out to the bank and again loads of smaller springs and the coho were thick with a few hatcheries mixed in. Threw the pic down on a hump off Carmanah and landed a 162lb Hali and a bunch of yellow-eye. Great way to cap the trip off!! We didn't run it to fitters, didnt realize we would have been in the hunt. Pics will apparently be posted on the PRM website for any naysayers ot there.

How were conditions this weekend, was anybody able to get offshore with the predicted 25 knot winds? Trying to decide if I should head up tomorrow.

Fished Friday morning and night and Saturday till noon.
Good bite at Camper first thing and past logan on the tide change and again just after noon.
No night bite to be had.

We had lots of bad luck with a couple of fish lost to seals at Camper and a couple lost at the net. Boated a couple of teens and saw some fish caught. Picked up a couple of decent lings also.
Pluggers were definately doing well at Camper early in the morning.
All in all a good trip.
Crabbing was very good.

As for weather I was expecting it to suck but had 2 of the calmest days I've seen in Reny with very little swell.

Note to self for next year. Avoid weekend of Tall Tree Festival. Once the LUCKYs wore off it was hard to get any sleep with the all night rave music.

Tips

Last edited by a moderator:
"Note to self for next year. Avoid weekend of Tall Tree Festival. Once the LUCKYs wore off it was hard to get any sleep with the all night rave music."

No way Tips--you can't fool us--you were out there with your shirt off playing the congas all night.
T2

Last edited by a moderator:
Would have been but they told me at the gate I am too old and wouldn't let me in.
... also asked me to put my shirt back on. = (

Tips

Just got back last night. Fished Friday thru Monday. There are fish, but, we didn't see anything that spectacular. We caught a 22 and a couple in there teens. Most of what we caught was on a Betsy flasher and anchovy with green heads. They were all in the 40 foot range for us. Tons of coho schooling off Walbran yesterday. Weather was not great and perhaps the lunar cycle affected our results. I guess we were a couple of weeks early. I heard of other people taking fish, but, the overwhelming chatter on the radio was negative. Crabbing was however very good although there has to be a few hundred traps sitting in the bay.

Back