Port Renfrew Reports Summer 2012

Pescador: Most of my times out at swiftsure, the springs are 15-20 pounds, and often caught deep, towards 200ft, with spoons, hootchies, or plugs. Lots of action and very productive, but not many trophy size and maybe less fight as they're pretty spent coming up that deep. Though I have also had times out there where the springs are 25-30 pounds, and it's one after the other. Awesome.

Some of the most fun I've had at swiftsure is when the coho are in thick. I let other people aboard winch in the halibut, and instead I jig a buzz bomb and have fish after fish after fish...no drag on the reel, let them jump around and take line, what a gas. Often 5 to 1 wild to hatchery, so don't get to keep many, but super fun fishing.

I've never been offshore at nootka, but bet it is similar.

Have fun! Stoked for summer....

JDS- thanks for the quick response. Very helpful. We'll put away the Chovies and pull out the hardware. Looking forward to it.

Glad that helps pescador ... bring some plugs, fast troll (4-5 kts), sometimes that seems to work well. In the really good coho years, sometimes the challenge has been lowering your gear fast enough to get below them before you get another pesky one one. As they say "a good problem to have". :)

Good to hear Juan.......I'll have my daughter with me this trip so I was going to give it a shot there tomorrow evening. She got her first Spring there last summer and has been telling all her friends ever since that she caught a "whopper!" Thanks for the update.......see ya on the water!

Greg

Thanks...I haven't been in PR this year yet. Must have been someone else that looks like me... lol....I'm up Canada Day long weekend and looking for to it.....

An imposter!!
Believe me,never duplicated, some may try,only to fall short ;)
Did you remember to rub the name off the old ride?

Jackel,this cut plug talk is making me envious...

Last edited by a moderator:
owen point produced a quick limit for the three of us this am .fish from12lbs to 25lbs all on chovies.great day out there despite the rain.good luck to the boys in the fathers day derby ,should be some nice fish to make it even more interesting

The Derby went great !!! The fishing leading up to the derby was excellent! But come Derby morning a large low pressure system moved in and slowed it rite down. Good work to everybody that tuffed out the weather.

1st place went to Des Hatcher with a 30.15 lb fish Second went to Corey Arnett with a 27.7 lbr and third went again to Des with a 18.7 oz fish.

850$ will be donated to the SanJuan hatchery !!

Thanks to Bud from Port Renfrew Marina for weighing in the fish for us, and thanks to everybody that came up to fish in the Port Rainfrew Derby!

Back