Port Renfrew Reports Summer 2012

smelt fishing

question for Hourston; How good is the smelt fishing now in Renfrew? I tried it a few years ago and got skunked.......any info would be appreciated.....

Don't know about the smelt fishing but can confirm that the crabbing sucks.
Was camping with the family and not fishing so had to get my fix by crabbing from the zodiak. Bunch of small females and 2 males for 3 pulls of 4 traps. Males were soft shell.
Butch and other locals had none to share and were not even bothering to put traps out.

Tips

question for Hourston; How good is the smelt fishing now in Renfrew? I tried it a few years ago and got skunked.......any info would be appreciated.....

Depends on what end of the beach they are coming in on, look for Osprey fishing in the surf thats your best indicator. I have not being down on the beach as of late as I stay away from the **** show long weekend crowd. As for crabbing its been great, but I see on here that its slow, again location location. Swiftsure or beach, West side of the bay or East side. cheers

Fathers day derby. $1000. a boat, no frills just a prize give away should see about 40 boats. just signed up going to be a blast, Renny Derby Yahoo about time.

I am Reelslim . Just pm me if your interested

It's 1000$ per boat going to try and get 40 boats but if not it's going ahead anyways.

5% off the top is going to the SanJuan hatchery then the rest will go to 1st,2nd and 3rd all cash prizes.

It's a no frills big cash derby ! No hats no shirts and no dinner involved just a good shot at some good cash prizes!

Anyone else interested let me know there's 10 spots left

Just a quick note on crabbing in Renfew this last weekend. Bugs were plentiflul when you found the right spot but most were soft shell. There were a few Chinooks caught around Camper on Sunday.

Was up today setting up camp for the summer. Looks like the halibut fishing is good 3 guys came in with 6 :confused:

They must have satyed out overnight ... got one before midnight , and got their other one this morning .... coughbullshitcough

I'm flying out on Wednesday to put the boat in the Marina for the season. Just wondering how the fishing at the bank and the beach has been? Other than the Hali fishing sounds to be good? lol I'm going to fish Thursday and Friday so hopefully I'll have a decent report to post........:)

I've fished the usual hot spots along the beach at Renfrew over the last few years but never offshore at Swiftsure. Going to give it a try during the Canada Day long weekend. Just curious. Do you see the same sort of productivty at Swiftsure we do out at Bajo Reef which is 8 miles off shore at Nootka Sound? Are the fish larger/bright south bound fish that seem to hang around the "highway" heading South? Is it worth the trip out compared to quaility closer to shore. I know bottom fishing it better, but, curious if Spring fishing is that much better out there. We've got a 23 footer so size and safety equipment is adequate.

Back