Your Salmon Fisheries Are In Peril!- COMPLETE THE DFO SRKW SURVERY BEFORE FEBUARY 12TH

cohochinook

For 2024 DFO are proposing even more restrictions on south coast anglers to protect Southern Resident Killer Whales (SRKW), even though SRKW’s are rarely in the existing closures for more than a few days each month. These new restrictions are particularly hard on Port Renfrew, where the fishery is already in survival mode under the existing regulations.

DFO’s approach to whale recovery looks more like ‘whack a mole’ management which repeatedly occur on an annual basis in a random manner that lacks scientific integrity. If left unchallenged, the DFO threatens to produce more creeping closures in subsequent years up and down the BC Coast.

This closure strategy is complicated, inconsistent with US SRKW recovery planning and cannot be assessed to determine if SRKW’s are actually benefiting. This strategy is causing significant coastal economic hardship. Data reveals that the whales only spend a short time in these areas, while most of their time is spent in transit searching for salmon.

The recreational fishery has proposed a “moving avoidance bubble” as a reasonable alternative to fishing closures, yet the Department has failed to act on this recommendation in a serious way.

You have an opportunity to let your voice be heard by answering the questions in the DFO survey below. It is critical that you do so. To assist you we have included the Sport Fishing Advisory Board’s answer to the survey and their introductory remarks. Your voice needs to be heard. Fill out the survey and include support for the “moving avoidance bubble”, otherwise important fishing opportunities could be lost for years or even decades to come.

READ MORE IN LINK BELOW ON HOW TO COMPLETE THE SURVEY

Done.
What a load of baloney.

I just asked where is the data showing the restrictions and prohibitions have positively benefited SKRW.
No data means they should remove restrictions and prohibitions.
This just reminds me of the provincial chief coroner saying that the fact more people are dying from toxic drugs after decriminalization, means we need more decriminalization????

For 2024 DFO are proposing even more restrictions on south coast anglers to protect Southern Resident Killer Whales (SRKW), even though SRKW’s are rarely in the existing closures for more than a few days each month. These new restrictions are particularly hard on Port Renfrew, where the fishery is already in survival mode under the existing regulations.

DFO’s approach to whale recovery looks more like ‘whack a mole’ management which repeatedly occur on an annual basis in a random manner that lacks scientific integrity. If left unchallenged, the DFO threatens to produce more creeping closures in subsequent years up and down the BC Coast.

This closure strategy is complicated, inconsistent with US SRKW recovery planning and cannot be assessed to determine if SRKW’s are actually benefiting. This strategy is causing significant coastal economic hardship. Data reveals that the whales only spend a short time in these areas, while most of their time is spent in transit searching for salmon.

The recreational fishery has proposed a “moving avoidance bubble” as a reasonable alternative to fishing closures, yet the Department has failed to act on this recommendation in a serious way.

You have an opportunity to let your voice be heard by answering the questions in the DFO survey below. It is critical that you do so. To assist you we have included the Sport Fishing Advisory Board’s answer to the survey and their introductory remarks. Your voice needs to be heard. Fill out the survey and include support for the “moving avoidance bubble”, otherwise important fishing opportunities could be lost for years or even decades to come.

READ MORE IN LINK BELOW ON HOW TO COMPLETE THE SURVEY

I filled the survey a couple days ago. I gave a few suggestions and observations since I boat most of the year and only saw the SRKW's once the whole year (saw transient whales several times in groups of 1 to 5 whales). Expanding closed areas is ridiculous, adopting the 400 m avoidance zone as per Washington State makes much more sense to me.

This just reminds me of the provincial chief coroner saying that the fact more people are dying from toxic drugs after decriminalization, means we need more decriminalization????
Not the place for this conversation but really shes saying people are dying from toxic drugs, (they have been for years, not just after decrim), we need safe supply while we build up the treatment capacity, which is currently no where near meeting the needs. These people are addicted, they're not able to just stop. And theyre not just homeless junkies on DTES either, most of the deaths are in private residences. What an ignorant comment.

Back to the topic, We all need to fill out this survey but i highly doubt they will even look at the results.

Last edited:
Wow is it just me? (Probably) Tried to do this survey on my phone and iPad but can’t get it to load fully and/or there’s no submit function/button? Frustrating…

WE NEED YOU IN ATTENDANCE! And yet this meeting and another on line one are being held midday in the middle of the work week?
I generally try not to be too critical of people trying to do good work, but here I am. Do you not think that you would get better attendance at these meetings if they were held after regular working hours? I'm "semi retired" and can't make this work, I'm sure most people with real jobs can't either. I realize that one of these meetings is being hosted by DFO, who I am sure don't want large numbers of fishermen out, not that they would listen to us anyway.

WE NEED YOU IN ATTENDANCE! And yet this meeting and another on line one are being held midday in the middle of the work week?
I generally try not to be too critical of people trying to do good work, but here I am. Do you not think that you would get better attendance at these meetings if they were held after regular working hours? I'm "semi retired" and can't make this work, I'm sure most people with real jobs can't either. I realize that one of these meetings is being hosted by DFO, who I am sure don't want large numbers of fishermen out, not that they would listen to us anyway.
Feel the same way about meetings being held mid day. Everyone must try and attend these meetings.
The Sports Fishing Communities could get wiped out with these proposed closures. Super important to attend meetings and complete the DFO Public Survey!

Wow is it just me? (Probably) Tried to do this survey on my phone and iPad but can’t get it to load fully and/or there’s no submit function/button? Frustrating…
You have to scroll up to the top to submit it. It's a very frustrating survey to complete as they only give you room for a single sentence at the time and max the amount that you can contribute as far as sentences or words. Scroll back up to the top and you'll see the submit button. Thanks for taking the time to complete it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240203-210609.png
    Screenshot_20240203-210609.png
    359.7 KB · Views: 12
Filled out the survey. Mostly in relation to the north arm of the Fraser as I don’t know the other areas. Suggested that a 1000yard no-fishing-if-whales-are-nearby zone would be better for the Fraser mouths rather than blocking the north arm off.

Unless this no fishing zone is really for First Nations exclusive use, and if it is then stop hiding the reason behind whale Conservation. Call it what it is.

Back