Port Alberni Chinook

Islandgirl

I am thinking of heading over there this week, and wanted to fish closer to town...ie town side of the Nahmint closure.. Is there many Chinook around?

nope not yet, another week or so with this rain forcasted they should be in

Hey Island Girl random question but are you in bamfield area right now? saw a boat named Island Girl out fishing just wondering...

Hey Y.B.

I am not in Bamfield fishing.. but wish I was...LOL
will probably try the canal this week and see what is around..

Does anyone ever use plugs in the inlet? Also what depth would be a good starting point? I know the warm water temp moved the sockeye down real deep, where are the springs usually found?

Thanks

quote:Originally posted by catcher

Does anyone ever use plugs in the inlet? Also what depth would be a good starting point? I know the warm water temp moved the sockeye down real deep, where are the springs usually found?

Thanks

I use plugs in the inlet, I'm pretty sure a fair number of fishers do. Especially during the derby when most people are looking to find a real big spring. Large plugs often result in much larger fish, so they get a good washing when the derby is on. Most springs are fairly shallow early in the morning, moving deeper as the sun hits the water. Try 20-30 foot depths early in the morning. 40-45 depths are very productive most times. Fish down to 65ft when the sun is high in the sky. I have caught springs down at 120ft in the inlet, but I think that is rather unusual. Most of the time they are fairly shallow.

We fished deep the other year and landed 9 over 20 one morning. All 70-90 feet on green/white coyote spoon of all things. Guess it shows its worth playing around sometimes.

We fished deep the other year and landed 9 over 20 one morning. All 70-90 feet on green/white coyote spoon of all things. Guess it shows its worth playing around sometimes.

Its not like big fish dont hit the hootchies or spoons. The last 3 derby winners were caught on squirts.

Its not like big fish dont hit the hootchies or spoons. The last 3 derby winners were caught on squirts.

To answer my own question... No springs but lots of sockeye are still around.

Decent bite at pill pt. last night. They are on their way in.

Headin up this weekend. Ive heard of a couple coho being caught aswell around china creek in the last few days. Are there many sox still hangin around?

quote:Originally posted by fowl hook

...Are there many sox still hangin around?

aYup! [^]
In fact a fresh push of new sox arrived just a very short time ago. Large, healthy and fiesty! The Usual Suspects have limited out on them 3 days in a row at first light now - inside from China.
For ChrisSakes don't tell The Dino though! Their response would be to unleash the bag fleets again! [xx(]

Only a few springs showing at the cleaning station each morning. A tad early yet, but the normal staging areas in the Sound (Assits / Pill / Blood Bay) are kicking in well.

ENJOY! :D

Cheers,
Nog

I've been away a lot but I'm suprised that no one else has mentioned the fact that we're now allowed only 1 over 77cm inside Hocking Pt.[:0] Check the DFO Area 23 regs map, chinook opportunities.
Pretty soon DFO will have us knocked down to 1 chinook per day every where.
I guess I must be the only one upset about this!:(

quote:Originally posted by drhook

I've been away a lot but I'm suprised that no one else has mentioned the fact that we're now allowed only 1 over 77cm inside Hocking Pt.[:0] Check the DFO Area 23 regs map, chinook opportunities.
Pretty soon DFO will have us knocked down to 1 chinook per day every where.
I guess I must be the only one upset about this!:(

I release the majority of the Salmon I catch so it doesn't upset me too much. This year sounds like it should be good returns overall on the westcoast in comparison to recent years. Overall though, compared to historic returns the trend is a steady decline in fish size and numbers of most species. I think you probably better get used to more restrictions because with the DFO in charge the long term outlook isn't good.

I heard that quite a few were caught this morning (from tackle shop hearsay), anyways they must be ooming in. I'm fsihin tomorrow but not quite sure if I'm going to stop on the way out.........I'll let you know.

quote:Originally posted by drhook

This is one of THE</u> worst moves DFO could have made IMO.
Couple of scenarios for your consideration:
Joe Public wanders out with his Buddy into the Inlet for a morning's fishing. Doesn't take long, and they've both landed a decent spring that fits the "greater than 77 cm" rule. Now, the hunt begins for the elusive jacks that will come in under that to round out the catch. Given this system doesn't produce a whole pile of jacks, they now wade through 10 plus fish each in their search. The fish they battle are all over 77, in pretty good shape, so fight long and hard before succumbing to the release. Then, often in hands that know little of fish handling tactics, they are dumped exhausted back into the bathtub warm waters of the Inlet. How many of these fish die as a consequence?
Situ two: Joe and his Buddy this time ain't the most ethical of those out on the water. They collect a couple of smallish 20 pounders at first light to meet the over 77 mark, then hunt to the jacks again. This time, they each land a great fish in excess of 30 pounds while searching for jacks. Back to the briney go the dead 20 pounders, and the 30's go on ice. Don't tell me that ain't gonna happen!

So, this cockeyed scheme to "save" a few of the larger fish will most likely have the direct opposite effect. Better methinks to let all the Joe's collect the first two they hit and wander off. Less overall impact.

But then again, that would make sense. And we are after all discussing the actions of The Dino after all...[V]

Choked as well,
Nog

Back