Port Alberni Chinook

quote from above link-

"Two seiners caught over 2,000 fish and 81 gillnetters caught 1,600," he said. "They're getting a buck and a half a pound, and those fish will probably go into the freezer for up to a year. By that time, they'll be cat food. In the mean time, there's 300 to 400 recreational boats that want to fish."

Good to see Jim Pattison capitalize on low returns.

Jimmy has it covered. He probably worked the deal for the commercial opening and now plans to place the fish in his grocery stores and sell them for $2.00/100 grams.

And on it goes...

Fishing in the Inlet and Sound is pretty much a graveyard - mostly memories.

Put an entire day a few ago in checking out the sound - one fish. Spoke with around a dozen good fishers - same or worse results. Monitoring the effort and catch for a week shows no improvement.

Myself and pretty well the balance of the Ukee guides hit all of the approach lanes to the Sound on a daily basis. In a "good" year, by now I would see 75 or better Stamp fish to the boat. This year less than a dozen. All my buddies hunting out there say the same. They simply are NOT there.

And while I amongst others would very much like to see a few fish in for the Derby, this matter is getting well beyond that simple desire. The unleashing of the FN economic fishery, coupled with the bag fleet efforts have vacuumed up the few earlies that did show. And at this juncture, there is nothing coming in behind them. Yet the bag fleets and FN's go again today and more - of course just a few days in front of the impending Derby. Not that there is anything there to catch, but hey, let's at least ensure the system is as close to devoid as possible when the Derby does go... [V]

The "increased abundance" The Dino refers to was based upon returns to removed systems up-Island. As in if Conuma sees a larger return than forecast, certainly the Stamp will see the same. No science - gut instinct and computer projections gone horribly wrong. [xx(]

We are all hoping beyond hope that the fish are simply late. But look at your calender! How late can they be? Historically the system should be right hopping with fish by now. It ain't. Total irresponsibility on the part of "management" to condone the type of carnage being inflicted on a run size even at the optimistic prediction numbers. Criminal and sickening to witness the same when the run now appears to be smaller than originally predicted!

Nearly all other runs have been early this year - the Fraser and US origin fish disappeared from the banks and feeding grounds 2 weeks earlier than "normal" this year. Conuma and points north have seen quite early returns as well. Yet The Dino insists the Robertson fish are still out there, and can support hit after hit by netters who realize but a pittance for their efforts. How long can this go on before we red list this stock?

DFO - you best hope that they are late, and that they do show in numbers - real numbers that is, not your fudged data yet again to support your overly aggressive removal practices. This time the eye is on you, lawyers are lined up and willing to engage and the Media Monster is starting to cast it's hungry eyes in your direction. Methinks that should the worst case scenario enfold as it appears very much it might, it is time for a few most uncomfortable moments for you. Not that it will make much of a difference. Your agenda of nuking the fish right out of existence appears to be right on track. And with the hands currently on the wheel of controlling that, methinks there is little hope for any resource beyond your pet fish farmed clones.

SICKENING!!
Nog

PS: 7,000 plus removed via the FN gillnet "economic opportunity" fishery last night. Seiner poised to roll. Gillnetters out this eve.
Gonna be lucky to find a single fish to enter in the Derby, but worse yet, the stock may be in the process of receiving it's death blow. Thanks DFO. :(

While I agree with your last sentence UNKNOWN, you surely realize that the sportfishing community has priority rights for chinook fishery and therefore their opportunity to bring much valued economic benefits to the towns through events such as the derby while catching nothing near 900 or 1,500 chinooks should be preferred over a desparate and marginal commercial chinook opening that hits the stock harder but barely pays the effort by the fleet. It just makes no sense either way you look at it. If the guys in the derby next weekend don't catch any fish, this derby is toast and so will be hundred of thousands of dollars income to the local economy for years to come.

Don't know about the DFO but I will be there for the derby with 3 boats and about 8 people saying in a motel, eating and drinking. If no fish this year maybe the last.[V]

Fire-Ex

I AIN'T blaming or finger pointing at the working stiffs Rob. The problem lies directly in the lap of The Dino. Unleashing these operations on a suspect</u> prediction is far more than foolhardy - it is downright criminal as DFO blatantly ignores it's own mandate yet again.
The sports group SHOULD go with the Media Monster! Time to tell it like it is!

PO'd,
Nog

quote:Originally posted by UNKNOWN

...I will be there showing my support and spending money!:)

As will I Buddy! Regardless of what The Dino does, I will still be partaking. No point in punishing myself nor the derby over their inane actions! And with a top slot of 10 Large, who knows, might just be the Lucky Year! :D

See ya on The Pond!

Cheers,
Nog

The rest of sportsfishermen and I have paid 30 dollars each on tidal fishing licenses that were issued by DFO. DFO have got the commericals taking all the salmon out of the water. I would like to get my 30 dollars back!!:(

Yeah Unknown.. there is a reason..
Greased palms..

I sure hope you can tell me that I am wrong when the escapement numbers come in and there were as many fish as the Dino said.....

The whole thing makes me sick. Why cant they let some escapement hit the river before they start killing everything? What are the commercial guys getting for a pound of spring? $1.50? Just enough to pay for the gas ? DFO has sh*t the bed once again. At least there will be plenty of cheap salmon to make cat food with!

UNKNOWN; I think the 2009 IFMP called for 50k chinook TAC for WCVI recreational fisheries after 5k for FN. Do you think this number was reached? Hard to believe and hard to prove. 0

UNKNOWN; I think the 2009 IFMP called for 50k chinook TAC for WCVI recreational fisheries after 5k for FN. Do you think this number was reached? Hard to believe and hard to prove.

According to The Dino's current estimates, the recreational sector has already exceeded</u> their allotment of 50,000 springs this season. Most years there is some "carry-over" from the recreational numbers that allows Area G to have a brief September opening. This year, that is not the case, as the number has already been realized. And as a sidebar, this also means that the recreational sector's take will again exceed the annual quota let to Area G Troll.

Cheers,
Nog

DFO cant take any credit for the success of the recreational angler this year. The majority of fish that were being caught on both sides of the island were thanks to the Columbia river hatchery program, these fish ran strong down both sides. Albeit, There was some good returns to the fraser, but nothing above average. With late run springs not showing up in good numbers its a surprise DFO allows a commercial opening. I thought we had fish farms for a reason? So we farm fish and commercial fish too? One or the other, but I guess it will be just the one ( farm ) once we wipe out the wild.

quote:Originally posted by UNKNOWN

The fish are entering the system, how come sport anglers are not catching? If the fish are entering the system how are they getting to the river mouth? By helicopter?

What is the greater picture? What is really going on - The fish are entering the Somass, Sproat and Stamp daily...they swim in from Barkley...how are they getting there??

...just thoughts and questions, that is all.

- UNKNOWN -

Entering the system??? Here is a real time update for ya. Nick has been out in the sled fishing the lower every day since Aug.25 except one. I've been with him three times already. So far, we have caught a total of 11 coho, 2 springs ( released ) & no steelhead. We are fishing at least seven hours a day covering from Swansons up to just below the rifle range. We have been seeing maybe 30-50 coho a day swim by, practically no springs moving at all, just a few dozen or so holding in the usual deep pools.We've seen less than a dozen summer runs in the whole week. I have also fished Money's twice when I wasn't out with Nick, & have only seen a couple of steelhead & about 20-30 springs sitting in the pool below Money's. Those fish are now mostly turned color & are the same ones that have been there for two weeks. No coho at all, but they mostly blast through to the hatchery at this time of year anyways. We did stop at RCH for a look, & there are about 2-300 coho, a bunch of old sockeye & a couple of dozen summer runs sitting at the hatchery entrance in the lagoon. If there were any springs there, we couldn't see them.I also talked to another guy who fishes the Stamp a lot, & he said he took a walk at Stamp Falls yesterday & saw practically nothing. For all intensive purposes, there are pretty much no significant numbers of fish in the system at all.

I have also talked to many people who are fishing the canal & all the stories are the same, very slow for this time of year. One couple I know, is camped at China Creek for the whole summer, & they have only caught three springs since mid August & they fish almost every day. They also know almost everybody else camped there & the stories are the same, 2-300 boats on the water & maybe a dozen or so fish seen caught. Even the fish counters at the boat ramps say the inside is still very slow, most of the fish they see are coming from the outside. This whole scenario is shaping up to be very scary. DFO wanted 33,000 fish for escapement this year. I don't believe for one second that there is anywhere near 33,000 springs in the canal right now. They sure as hell aren't in the river, so where are they? We know for sure there are over 10,000 dead in the FN & commercial fisheries so far & I'm sure the sporties have scooped up another few thousand offshore & out in Barclay Sound, so where are these other 40,000+ predicted fish?? They sure as hell better make an appearance right soon, or you can kiss this cycle of the run goodbye. At this point, there aren't even enough springs for the hatchery to make a difference in saving the run. DFO's conduct in handling these fish is no longer just raging incompetence, but now bordering on criminal neglect. If the fish don't show in the next 10 days or so, don't be at all surprised to see the one over one under 77cm rule make a comeback, followed by a closure for sporties. Once again, other user groups will be allowed to rape & pillage & the sporties will bear the brunt of the measures to ensure that the once seemingly abundant fish are now protected from all those single barbless hooks wiping them out.:(

After this weekend should be a good indicator of what is going to happen. There is significant rainfall forcasted for Thursday night to Sunday afternoon. Accumulation for the four days is supposed to be between 40-50mm. More than enough to raise the river a bit, put some scent in the water & get the migration going. There are good tides Monday & Tuesday, & I will be there both days to see what is happening. If nothing changes, then there is going to be real trouble this year.[V]

O.k. guys...how many do you predict that will make it up to the river? I predict maybe 5000 tops?I hope I'm wrong!!!!Give it you're best shot!

Back